pheasants Saturday

ollie

We were on our pheasant shoot on Saturday so I thought I would post some pictures. The bag is not big but there are only 3 of us in the syndicate so we go mainly to work the dogs and we pick the good shots. We rise a good number of birds and ended up shooting 4 pheasants and 2 woodcock (1 of which isn't pictured). 1st picture is a photo of the terrain our shoot is on; as you can see it is very steep braes leading to the shore so it makes for some fantastic fast and high birds.post-21-1259616357.jpg

The 2nd picture is of my mate with a brace of birds.

post-21-1259616558.jpg

Im sure they were unloaded and perfectly safe :good: Lovely work guys, what guns are they btw ? Look stunning :yes: Lovely to work your own dogs and have such a great day :yes:

Kermit - there were unloaded long before that pic was taken.

Big Thug - The gun with the chrome action at the bottom of the pic is mine. Beretta AL391 Tekny's, lovely gun to use and I don't think I'll ever change it. The other 1 belongs to my mate, it is a Benelli Montefeltro left handed.

Kermit - there were unloaded long before that pic was taken.

Totally understand. Its a personal thing on my part to have the bolt open. My reasons are as follows

1. If a 3rd party was to stroll beside your gun its obvious to them that the gun is safe when the bolt is open. If i had a semi auto on the ground with the bolt shut and I told you it was unloaded would you trust me?

2. Having the bolt back is always safer then having it closed. Some day someone out there will think they have the gun emptied and tragedy will happen. It is safer to have the bolt back.

What I have expressed here are my opinions and I respect yours. If you still think that your method is as safe as mine then thats grand, I feel that you can never be too safe when shooting.

2. Having the bolt back is always safer then having it closed. Some day someone out there will think they have the gun emptied and tragedy will happen. It is safer to have the bolt back.

I have a semi and couldn't agree more.... however.... have heard it argued that when wildfowling it is better to keep it closed as it helps avoid jams from any loose mud/rubble/plant matter etc. Not sure how true this is as i have never been! lol

boomstick

Totally understand. Its a personal thing on my part to have the bolt open. My reasons are as follows

1. If a 3rd party was to stroll beside your gun its obvious to them that the gun is safe when the bolt is open. If i had a semi auto on the ground with the bolt shut and I told you it was unloaded would you trust me?

What I have expressed here are my opinions and I respect yours. If you still think that your method is as safe as mine then thats grand, I feel that you can never be too safe when shooting.

I understand what your saying mate and if I'm walking along a road I will have the bolt open. it just happened to be closed for the pic. My safety record with guns is pretty impeccible and I hope I never encounter a tradegy, but thanks for the advice.

Chris: I do most of my shooting with a semi-auto, generally not for the extra shot but because I like the gun. I am never on formal shoots so don't have to worry about it not being allowed.

Chris: I do most of my shooting with a semi-auto, generally not for the extra shot but because I like the gun. I am never on formal shoots so don't have to worry about it not being allowed.

Do you find that autos point better? I used to have a Franchi and I miss it. I could hit everything with it, well nearly everything!

Well before I had the Beretta I used a Rizzini o/u (still have it) and my shooting has improved so much in the past few years. The gun just fits so well and even with snap shots I very rarely miss. And for the times I do the extra shot can come in handy :stupid: . In all seriousness though when game shooting by the time I have 2 shots off the bird is usually too far away for a third, but the third shot is handy for decoying and roost shooting.