Shooting on the telly tonight

Dunkield

I would imagine a few others got it as well, but here is heads up from BASC:

Young Shots on TV

BBC "Newsround" (5pm BBC1 today) is planning to run a feature on BASC Young Shot Vicky Vizzard and to look at young people and shotguns.

Please watch the feature if you can, or catch it online later and don't forget to add your comments to the BBC newsround website.

For anyone in the South East of England, a longer version of the programme can be seen tonight in the programme "Inside Out" on BBC 1 at 7.30pm. Comments are already being added to the BBC Sussex site.

Thanks for the info Stuart. I believe she's been coached down at West Kent Shooting School and the game shooting scenes were filmed at a small shoot not far from Robertsbridge, where I've shot a few times. The keeper and beaters were being filmed beating a drive and were asked by the producer to repeat it several times because he wasn't happy with what the cameraman had filmed. This entailed them all climbing back up a hill to do it all over again, allegedly the cameraman was advised to get it right next time otherwise he's end up in the duck pond!!

Lets just have a look at some of the comments shall we

"I think it is very unsafe because they might shoot someone by accident."

"No way! What if they abuse the license and think they can shoot anything or worse, anyone! I can't believe hundreds of kids in the UK are allowed to use shotguns!"

:ninja:

The way they said 'should kids use guns or are the way too dangerous' leaves a lot to be desired........

typical BBC :ninja:

Talk about trying to lead the kids into the sort of answers they want to hear. The report came across as the usual one sided anti nonsense. I want a refund on my TV license!!!

Instead of encouraging the young girl because she is showing maturity and doing a bit for the farmer they are trying to make her out to be some sort of bad person because she shoots real birds!!!

That was typical BBC guff. Parting shot of the commentary "despite what some people think,she intends to carry on".In wonder if they would have said that for any other non mainstream pastime like archery or martial arts. Why imply that the kid has a controversial hobby? Good on the kid anyway.

Edited by vole21

I just watched it and thought overall it was good.

The only points i can pickup on are:

1, WHY do they call it a licence when it isn't, it's a CERTIFICATE.

2, When she was out in the field the ear defenders were over the top of her hat so not doing the job intended.

It was great to see the clay breaking, she seems a good shot :ninja: i remember the first time i broke a clay and still feel the same now. If kids like these are not welcomed to the sport what chance do we have for the future Olympic and national teams.... not to mention the responsibility, maturity and respect etc that is lacking in most kids these days.

Nice one to the BASC :blush:

I think the greatest problem is the misconception by the general public is that guns are dangerous. I have never been to a clay ground or range and seen anything but the utmost safety practiced by shotgun or RF\CF rifle shooters.

Jon.

BBC doing their usual stuff... Show something positive about shooting, but they HAVE to also show the negatives. It's just to please the antis.

If they'd actually worded it so it showed the public that youngsters can gain a hell of a lot from shooting, be it clays or vermin control, it would have actually suited both pro and anti shooters. However they had to make it one extreme and the other. To be honest, if they'd just stuck to clays, it would have come across better... Shooting live animals on children's TV is a big no no. All because the concerned parents will write in.

BBC doing their usual stuff... Show something positive about shooting, but they HAVE to also show the negatives. It's just to please the antis.

I'm sorry, that's one of the more imbecilic comment I've ever read on this forum.

Yes, they show the negatives, because you know - it's called 'balanced reporting', you know, showing two sides to a story?.

Now, let's be fair, this is a child's program, for children, who really don't care about the news. I'm fairly sure if you took away newrounds and replaced it with an extra episode of the Simpson's, no child would really care. The main reason this program still runs successfully is because people think having a child's news program is a good idea, and the only reason children watch it is because it's the last bit of children's TV on, before they have to stare at the plastic face of Anne Robinson for half an hour.

Furthermore, You have a shotgun licence, it's called a certificate though, but in reality, it's a licence.

Edited by Bleeh

Thanks for the info Stuart. I believe she's been coached down at West Kent Shooting School and the game shooting scenes were filmed at a small shoot not far from Robertsbridge, where I've shot a few times. The keeper and beaters were being filmed beating a drive and were asked by the producer to repeat it several times because he wasn't happy with what the cameraman had filmed. This entailed them all climbing back up a hill to do it all over again, allegedly the cameraman was advised to get it right next time otherwise he's end up in the duck pond!!

Hi Phil

Interested to know which shoot it was. Is that the A21 in the background just south of Robertsbridge?

Nice quick birds. My lad was very jealous watching it as he was going to go to a Young Shots day at West Kent but couldn't make it.

Good on the girl and her dad I say. Glad I don't live in a town!

Cheers

Mike

Just watched the clip & I thought the girl came over as being very safe & responsible with a gun in her hands. And she could shoot! she hit more of those West Kent rabbits than I did :lol:

I would go so far as to bet my house, that none of those kids that were shown in the programme will go on to mugging old ladies & holding up securicor vans :good:

Overall I thought the programme portrayed youngsters shooting in a very good way, thats what our sport needs more like this young girl :no:

SS

Its the comment thread that is getting me. We seem to have a nation being brought up as antis.....

I don't think children should be allowed to use shotguns because it might encourage them to shoot foxes and animals that are endangered

It's wrong they are killing animals. The rabbits could be an escaped pet that someone is looking for. People who use shotguns should be arrested and fined.

And so it goes on. There are a few well rounded positive comments on there though, but they are in the minority.

She looks a very accomplished shot.Good luck to her.

Having watched the clip it is clear that when asking 'townies' what they thought the question was worded something like ''do you think kids should have shotguns''.....typically worded to illicit the response the BBC were looking for in order to show a balance of views. Whereas the nearer truth of should children under supervision be taught to respect guns,safety and how to shoot them would I guess draw a more balanced response from 'the man in the street'.

well I have added a view, whether it gets added is another thing. just in case this was my view

"The argument from Douglas Bachelor is flawed in his own comparison. "Guns should be treated just like cars. No one be they a child or an adult should be allowed out with a gun without a provisional license." How old was Lewis Hamilton when he first drove a Kart (not a go kart but a vehicle capable of 70mph) Children race cars full blown cars from age 14 upwards.

This is how we get the sports people of today, letting them start young, gaining the responsibility and experience from an early age.

So if he uses an analogy that is so flawed it makes me wonder what other parts of his research are equally flawed.

For the record I am pro shooting. I was started with air rifles as a child and learnt to respect quarry and how to prepare it for the table properly. Not just some kid on a street corner kicking a hedgehog or worse because they have nothing to do and no direction.

Give kids responsibility, you have to trust a child before they can make a mistake. If they are wrapped up in cotton wool they never learn. and if they are just set wild on the streets they get up to mischief and learn from other miscreants that know no better.

"