Ok guys christened my new truck first time I stuck it

utectok

Poll would better tyres have got me out of this one?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. WOULD good off road tyres have helped

• YES
    • NO CHANCE
    • MAYBE

There are some optimists on here to create ruts a foot deep on the first drive through no normal 4x4 is going to get through it as all thats stopped it going deeper is when you've bellied it out. Mud tyres can't work when the sump is on the ground and the amount of rolling resistance to created foot deep ruts is pretty amazing hence the smell of burning clutch. the person who said you shouldn't have been there was right and personally I'd have given up way before then, just hope your farmer doesn't mind the mess you've created

it is all about momentum. However, as you say marginal tread, will make a big difference, even on a relatively road oriented tread. Saying that if you had a mud tread , larger size, and aired down I think you could have got through that ok

I dont want to be rude but letting air out of your tyres would be as much us as a choclate fireguard all it would do is let the truck sit lower in the that big mud hole given even less traction.

Having a large tyre would help slightly using momentum only helps if you have enough speed to clear the object and looking at that field it could have gone on for 300 or so mts thats if you dont wreck the truck using to high a speed.

So be careful of giving incorrect advise to others as it could end in tears .

Regards ex service person serviced in op telic and other theatres in the world driving landys.

Edited by Over the hill

I too do not want to be rude, however it looks like you have misread / interpreted my post completely. I was not suggesting airing down the tyres after the matter of getting stuck. I was attempting to suggest a way to avoid the initial problem. Had he had much larger agressive tyres aired down significantly I postulate that it would make a massive difference to the grip and surface area / ground pressure. I recently spent a bit of time working with a chap and his unimog, on a standard mud stype pattern tyre, with his tyres aired down, he was able to drive through and load with logs over an area that was incredibly difficult to traverse on foot.

Maybe the soft ground goes on for 300 metres , perhaps it was only a particularly boggy patch. I would not like to make a comment based on the small picture.

The damage to the ground is another matter completely. I am merely answering his question as put. I would always endevour to avoid damaging land, particularly farmland and someone elses. However, I am aware that there are times when it is necessary to get through tricky spots.

Regards Physcist who merely spends a fair bit of time driving off road.

Edited by ProteuS

Sorry if I have misread your post

But a unimog is a completely diffrent beast airing down on a mog reduces the surface to diff height by a few inchs which does not matter when you got huge ground clearance.

Also the mog has a very low pound per square inch as starndard let alone airing down.

Also airing down on said truck before the being stuck all he would have done is bury the front bumper/spoiler even deeper in the mud which would cause even more loss of traction.

Regards somebody who has done off roading while being shot at by blokes with rags on there heads and where being stuck could be a life or death matter if you get it wrong.

OTH

I think having a go, with the already poor tread on the tyres was brave.

Better tread, road or otherwise, running low pressures to start with would have given you a better chance like others have said.

Interesting to read the comments about lowering the pressures once already in that situation.

I did see a programe about some tourists who went for a drive in the outback, in a 4x4, who subsequently got it beached. To cut a long story short, they broke all the rules and left the vehicle and tried to walk out. Needless to say, one died, the other was found collapsed but survived.

When the rangers eventually got to the 4x4, they lowered the tyre pressures and drove it out. If only the tourists were better informed and prepared.

When I originally read this post I remembered that programe and thought thats what I would have tried, nothing to loose.