Hi from a Newbie

Gix

Hi all,

I'm new to the sg scene having not shot since I was around 16 (now 41), sent off my application for a shot gun cert just before Christmas and after checking my online bank account noticed the cheque had been cashed, anyway my local authority is Leicestershire and I was wondering what kind of questions will likely be asked at the interview stage, I would like to do a bit of research before hand and get myself prepared.

Been reading the forum for a short while now and got some great tips, already bought and fitted my gun safe, but I have lot's to learn, so hoping to pick your brains with what will no doubt be daft questions that hopefully you can put me straight on. I'm gonna start off with clays and then hopefully progress from there.

Cheers in advance,

Gix :blush:

I was asked if i would shoot into bushes, how to cross a fence safely,

and if i fell down,would i check the barrel for obstruction ie, mud,snow ect..

Just commonsense really, look out for joe public,paths, roads, livestock..Ect...

Good luck in your new venture anyway, Don't worry they dont bite,

He/ she is there just to make sure your not Nuts... :blush: ... :D

Edited by kev 1

Dont worry

all they are going to do is make sure you are safe and understandyour responsibilities

If you are not sure of what they are asking, ask him/her to explain. They do NOT want to trip you up.

Try to tunr the interview to your benefit asking questions of the interviewer

As long as you are honest and give common sense answers, no problems for you

I was asked if i would shoot into bushes, how to cross a fence safely,

and if i fell down,would i check the barrel for obstruction ie, mud,snow ect..

Just commonsense really, look out for joe public,paths, roads, livestock..Ect...

Good luck in your new venture anyway, Don't worry they dont bite,

He/ she is there just to make sure your not Nuts... :lol: ... :P

I don't remember being asked anything like that?

:good:

Phil

my fella asked all the usual stuff then told me a story about a farmer who was riding his quad bike over some rough ground, he crashed and turned the quad over trapping him, his shotty was loaded and the SAFETY was off so as the quad rolled over the shotty went BANG and so did his legs.... he was waiting for me to say "WHY DID HE HAVE A LOADED GUN ON HIS QUAD" which i did and he said "my point is made"...

he will try to get info out of your wife and kids about where your keys are and other bits of info about your guns, so chase them out when he comes...

hiya and welcome, If your wanting to shoot clays then make sure you know the name of the clay ground your going to use and idealy make contact with them and find out some details. the Firearms officers are normaly ok unless they are very new to the job and on a mission but im sure you will be fine. just act responsibly. If they ask about rough shooting then you will have the excuse that your not too wise to things because you only plan on shooting clays at the moment. they will want to know about your home security etc and also where you plan to store cartiridges etc. (obviously seperate to the guns, idealy say i dotn plan to keep cartidges at home as i wil buy them from the clay ground!

if they are anything like the police from this area..........hide your biscuits up and tell them the kettle is broke ..................ditchman

Offer only the best bisuits - with tea / coffee in a nice cup- my FEO is a hob nobs fan and coffee no sugar- it sometinmes pays to remember what they like

Les :good:

I was interviewed quite recently and I can't fault the chap, very helpful and because my cabinet's location was a little unorthodox he rang his boss and argued my case for me there and then. I agree that the most important thing is to know what you're on about, i.e. which clay ground(s) you will be using who you shoot with, and what permissions you have or plan on getting.

If you're cowering in a bedsit, wearing camo and can't come up with why you want a shotgun (they will ask even though technically you don't have to prove a reason) you are going to struggle.

I agree about the cuppa, nothing wrong with being civil. The guy gave me his card and his mobile number is now stored in my phone and there it will stay. In the unlikely event of gun-related trouble of any kind with the Bill he will be the first person I call.

Edited by Thunderbird

Welcome Gix!

My advice would simply be to be frank, honest, open and friendly with your FEO, and don't even think about bullsh1tting him or her. If there's anything you're not sure about, ask.

They are simply there to establish whether or not you present a danger either to yourself or others by owning a shotgun, discuss your security arrangeents, and also to answer any questions you may have.

I'd (almost :lol: ) bet you a tenner they shoot themselves in some form. Most will know as much as anyone on here, in fact, who knows, I suspect there might be one or two who are members on here! :yes:

My FEO at interview was a fountain of knowledge and good advice, and I was glad I'd had the chat with him. :good:

Cheers chaps, just a quick update for ya....I did post another thread but not on this one so here goes....

I was interviewed last Thursday and all went well, he didn't want a cuppa or a biccy (and I had layed some really good uns on a plate for him :good: )

Anyway he had a swift look at my gun safe which I had already bolted to the wall and he was well happy with that (didn't tug at it or anything) he then went through the paperwork and how to inform them of gun sale/purchase etc and told me the cert will take about 2 weeks to arrive.

Really nice chap, said I was right to fill out all my driving convictions etc but nothing would cause any probs and off he went with a shake of the hand... now I'm on the look out for me new gun, I have booked myself in at Doveridge on Sunday for a lesson and some advice on gun fitment etc, thinking of getting a Browning 525 sporter (as advised by some you nice fella's) so will try and get a go with one to make sure it suits me.... if it does it's then a case of trying to get the best price!!

Cheers again all,

Gix :yes: