Neck brecking

Sqwelchy

My preferred method of dispatching game is the ol' stretch 'n twist method. Grab the head lightly between your thumb and fingers and hold the body in your other hand. Gently pull your hands apart thus stretching the neck and twist at the same time. Quick and quiet.

I only wear glasses for clays, but ear defenders are on every time my gun goes bang! - too many 'old duffers' on my local shoot that can't hear a word anyone says give me enough reason for me to wear mine!

I was shown years ago by a shooting man...Pull out 1 of the tail feathers with a big quill and push the quill through the gap between its skull and spine (back of head)...Goes straight into the brain....Very quick.....Other than that...A priest...

Ear Plugs all the time for me....

Edited by smig4373

hold the bird, first finger under beak against throat, second finger behind head, thumb pressed on top of head, with bird hanging at your side, quickly flick your hand first towards your body, then away, in a circular motion, the birds own bodyweight breaks its neck, quickly

• 3 weeks later...

You'll more than likely regret not always wearing them. It only takes one bang to damage your hearing, not just when firing lots of shots on the clays.

I had a near deaf experience once ( :P:oops: ) when I only fired 5 or 6 shots. Had a rattling and ringing in my ear for weeks and it still isn't back completely to normal.

I whack em on the ed wiv a stick, or shoot em again if they're running too fast.

Ear defenders at all time plus a hat and glasses when on clays, for dispatch either the spine of a heavy hunting knife to the back of the neck breaking it or the old gravity method of seperating the neck. But if it`s a flapper and i don`t want to leave the hide because of other pigeons around then a headshot with my .22rf

A stick with a smack to the head/neck area or with a priest does the trick nicely and i always wear ear defenders but only glasses when on clays when it is the site rules :hmm:

George

If you are general rough shooting, rabbits and birds etc you will have a problem with ear defenders, quite simply because you need to hear as well as see, there are options here though of some of the electronic sort of ear defenders! If you are simply pigeon shooting, and particularly decoying I suspect defenders may well be a good idea! Glasses optional, but to be fair, you only have one pair of eyes so worth thinking about it. An old phrase, You can eat with false teeth and you can walk on a false leg, but you can't see with a glass eye!! :hmm::hmm:

The best way to despatch a pigeon is the QUICKEST, stubby probably has that below but the priest or stick can be quick as well. There is a also the "nutcracker", as I call it, where a spike is driven through the skull of the bird on the end of what looks like a nutcracker! (often used on Pheasant shoots)

hold the bird, first finger under beak against throat, second finger behind head, thumb pressed on top of head, with bird hanging at your side, quickly flick your hand first towards your body, then away, in a circular motion, the birds own bodyweight breaks its neck, quickly

However you decide to dispatch a bird, always cover your ears up when shooting.

Theres more than enough deaf old ******** floating about in the shooting world, it really doesn't need any more. I shot a box of carts with no hearing protection and suffered severe tinnitus for 2 weeks after, it faded after about a month but I never want to go through it again. :hmm: