1st time Wildfowling

garyb

Today, I finally got to add a new line in my gamebook, something which, I've wanted to do for a very long time..

Try my hand at Wildfowling!

3 of us Departed Herts @ 05:00hrs this morning, just as the snow was starting to fall! we we're heading for Essex, where we would be met by "crouch valley" & "Fatcatsplat" from this very forum...

We we're shown to our "pegs".. for want of a better phrase and I took shelter from the biting cold against the cover, with the semi auto ready (of which I was kindly lent by NickBeardo) My super 20bore wasn't going to be enough gun for today's action...!

It was totally pitch black, yet all around me I could make out the calls of Ducks, Geese and other waterfowl in the distance.. It wasn't long before the dark sky was filled with the sound of gunfire from further across the marsh, when suddenly my friends who we're just to the left of me - Matt & Charlie, got stuck into the 3,000 MPH Teal that we're racing past them!

The boy's dropped a couple of nice birds, just as I swung Beardo's Beretta into the darkness to also drop a cracking high Teal in front

With me safely off the mark, I quickly added 2 Canada's to the bag - when 6 or so quartered in left to right. They we're both dropped cleanly onto the bank!

Here's a few pics... Sadly due to the ice, we were not able to safely work the dogs as well as would have been liked, so a couple of the bag went

unaccounted for :yes:

Total between the 3 of us was..

Teal - 2

Canada Geese - 4

WoodPigeon! - 1

FatCatSplat - how did you get on?

P1020476.JPG

P1020485.JPG

P1020494.JPG

P1020506.JPG

Managed a grand total of nuffink!! Had half a dozen shots and was seriously misjudging the amount of lead i had to give them - Managed to wing one that was fortunately finished off by the guys to my right (It was heading for the drink and would have been unreachable).

My biggest problem i think was one of recognition - My first time fowling and I didn't want to shoot something until i was sure of what it was and that it was legit - By the time i had made my mind up, they were halfway to Marbella :yes: !!!!

Still - A very well worthwhile morning - and one of those days that could have sorted out the Chameaus vs Aigles argument - 2 pairs of socks on and my toes were absolutely freezing!!!

Garyb - You are absolutely right about the sights and sounds - The whistles and honks were all over the place - Very nice to be there when the marsh "woke up".

Had an interesting phone call just before 9 from my shoot captain asking where i was - Had managed to book this on the same day as the last syndicate shoot of the season - Doh! :hmm:

Welcome to the sport of kings,

There is not a better place than a dawn on the saltings.

Don't buy a 3" auto, get a 3 1/2" if you are serious about 'fowling. Not every marsh is as hospitable as having hides ready built and a nice hut to warm up in.

A decent pair of chest waders is a must as is the best boot socks you can afford.

Teal are also the best eating bird there is.

Glad you enjoyed it :yes:

Welcome to the sport of kings,

There is not a better place than a dawn on the saltings.

Don't buy a 3" auto, get a 3 1/2" if you are serious about 'fowling. Not every marsh is as hospitable as having hides ready built and a nice hut to warm up in.

A decent pair of chest waders is a must as is the best boot socks you can afford.

Teal are also the best eating bird there is.

Glad you enjoyed it :sly:

:yes:

What did I miss out on last week then :yes: Sid up to his tricks again?

Julio...

Sid "got lost" driving to the farm, I kid you not! After god knows how many years he's made the journey!, anyway he turned up after lunch... I still reckon he was visiting one of the "girls" at South Mimms :sly:

Edited by garyb

He's been there already...!! :yes:

Pigeons111009061.jpg

Cat.

Christ that is a bit of a tarts gun isn't it?

Would a 3-1/2" semi, have trouble with 65-70mm shells ?

I'd want a pigeon, come duck/goose gun if I was going to buy one.

GB

Not if you buy the right one, I have shot every cartridge from 21gr to 66gr 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" through my Beretta Extrema. Synthetic stock, no shiny bits and made for the marsh.

Hi lads im glad you had a good time there was plenty about this morning thats for sure . Its always good to here good feed back you can always check out our web site for up and coming dates if you fancey coming back out with us. www.essexwildfowling.co.uk :yes:

Many thanks

Dan (CROUCH VALLEY)

WWW.ESSEXWILDFOWLING.CO.UK

Hi lads im glad you had a good time there was plenty about this morning thats for sure . Its always good to here good feed back you can always check out our web site for up and coming dates if you fancey coming back out with us. www.essexwildfowling.co.uk :rolleyes:

Many thanks

Dan (CROUCH VALLEY)

WWW.ESSEXWILDFOWLING.CO.UK

That's a definite!