Sako Quad Owners...

jdbrammers

Gents,

I am looking to buy a .22LR (and possibly .17HMR) and narrowed it down to the Anschutz XIV or a Sako. The Anschutz certainly seems to be top dog according to internet posts but the Sako Quad praise seems less prolific with a couple of trends for an extraction problem of empty .22 cartridges (this problem with live rounds is one I'm prepared to put up with). I have shot the Anschutz and quite enjoy it but I like the feel of the Quad too. In fact, the overwhelming support for the Anschutz is probably one of the things pushing me towards giving the Quad a chance. Barrel changing apart, I have 3 main questions for the Quad owners and any extra advice or opinions are warmly received.

1. If you had to do it again, would you buy the quad or something else (Coopers, etc are well out of my price range so pretty much read Anschutz or cheaper)?

2. Does the empty .22 cartridge ejection problem seem to have gone away on newer rifles?

3. If you had the option of a mint secondhand Finnfire or a new Quad, which would you pick?

Many thanks for all of your help and any additional information on things like scopes is warmly appreciated. I know there is a "Quad v Anschutz" post earlier on but it is obvious there are two very definite camps and I the answers to the questions above will help me decide.

Cheers.

If you want both guns to use regularly get quad in hmr and anshutz in lr. If you are happy to spend the time rezeroing ( or at least checking it) at every barrel change then the quad is a cheap way of getting two guns.

Personally it has driven me nuts with two barrels as I always seem to wish the other barrel was on.

May be a .22 barrel for sale if you decided to go with it. I did read something about the newer quads being better for extraction, or there was a 'fix' doing the rounds.

I really enjoy my gun and it stays as hmr all the time now.

Hiya

I have had a synthetic Sako Quad in .17hmr for awhile now. It hasnt exhibited the extraction problem found by others - perhaps this is a .22lr calibre issue only?

Answering your questions:

1. It would be a difficult decision between the CZ or Anschutz. The CZ would leave more change for a better quality scope & moderator.

2. Not come across information in this regard.

3. I would definately take the Finnfire - rare beast if you can find a mint one with provenance.

Ultimately, as said before on PW, it is what feels right for you - we all have our own views based on our experiences which should only be used as a guide or to provide the information to make an informed decision.

More detailed information on type of use ie workhorse or recreational may elicit more detailed experiences/information?

Over to you.....

L

There is a fix for the .22lr extraction problems, but if buying new ask if the extractor claw or its barrel recess has been modified already. Look back through my posts for the fix.

If you use a short scope (IE sidewheel or fixed mag) in high mounts you will change barrels without moving the scope, look back in my posts... and it would be a bonus if your scope has resetable turrets. look back in my posts...

I have never used or seen a Finfire.

You'd have to be able to be quite daft with your money to buy both upmarket rifles and scopes when one would do. It's easy to pack the unused barrel and bullets in your bag when going shooting, and there is potentially only one rifle that could go awol if you have an accident or something.

Thanks for all of that information everyone. The barrel change will come in quite handy as it will primarily wear the .22lr for out walking and lamping but the .17hmr will hopefully be a useful addition with longer range shooting from a vehicle, although this use is quite infrequent but I would rather have a spot on rifle in one calibre rather than a lesser rifle in two, if that makes sense. I would invest in a resettable zero scope if I go down the route of two barrels. Any suggestions anyone.

Badshot: How much were you thinking of and what area are you in?

Loki: Bit more detail up there perhaps. Popped round earlier today to look at a Finnfire but alas, someone put a deposit down on it yesterday. Mint bar a small scuff on the bottom of the stock. Curses.

Dave-G: Think I have read most of your posts researching this particular rifle. I think it was one of your posts that mentioned the extraction problem but (off the top of my head) I think that was 08 and was wondering about a rumoured fix which has been mentioned. Regarding being daft with cash, I certainly wouldn't be buying two Anschutz in .17 and .22. Not for the next couple of years anyway. I would plump with just the .22 for the Anschutz but may be tempted to spend a bit extra on the quad for the extra barrel. And if I don't spend it we'll end up with another feature wall or curtains or something like that.

Thanks again everyone, I know that the Anschutz is probably a safe bet but I really enjoy the feel and action of the Quad, which I reckon I'm leaning towards now.

I have a Quad synthetic in Hmr only and love it......

I have a CZ Sillhouette in .22 and also love that but even with the trigger kit fitted its not as sweet as the Quad.....

Unfortunatley the quad is going up for sale soon but ideally if money was no object then i would have 2 quads 1 each in .22 and .17 now the extraction problem seems to have been sorted on the .22....

but as others will say its down to personal choice.

shaun

hi,

1, the ejection problem is a pain in the butt, but i'd still buy the quad again

2, don't know

3, see No1

all in all i'm very happy with it, it fits much better than a cz, the action seems much smoother too although it is no more accurate, just personal preference as i've never used a finnfire. When i bought mine it was in 22lr, the 17hmr barrel came later and has stayed on ever since, as i'm using a cz 22lr also, i havent felt the need to change barrels. I might purchase another sako action in the future to fit the old 22 barrel as i dont really like the feel of the cz.

I was warned off anschutz by my local rfd, he explained that there are problems with the firing pin mechanism breaking.

badshot: That's just shy of what I've been offered the first barrel from my friendly gun dealer so I'll stick with that. Thanks very much though and what is RFD?

Anyone know if you can change the barrels with a MTC Viper scope? I presume high mounts will be used for any scope to allow the change of barrel. Anyone have any opinions. I was looking to spend about £100 but up to £250. The Viper was mentioned on a previous post sounds pretty good but is top end of my budget and something that works for someone else I will definitely consider.

Thanks very much for your help everyone, think I'll take the plunge and go for the Quad.

I went for Anschutz 17hmr & Sako quad heavy barrel synthetic 22lr

both guns brilliant.

The wood stock Sako is much heavier thats why i went synthetic

I have put 1000 rounds through sako so far in 1 month i have owned it and never had ejection problem yet but i purchased it new.

Finnfire gun is still a good gun but you can pick up a used quad without much use as they are relatively newish guns.

regards

Forget the marketing about buying 4 guns in one, the vast majority buy a complete gun and leave it, yes some do buy an additional barrel but much better to forget the hype and by a gun!

Changing barrels is straightforward, scopes not so easy and has cost implications, and you can only use one at a time, ie you can't give your lad the .22 and you take out the HMR, and of course, you can't swap heavy/light barrels in the one stock either.

I had the quad synthetic HMR on order, but usual piffle from GMK about delays, and the new CZ HMR Silhouette arrived in the UK. Job Done. Used Anschutz as far back as around 1972, and a pal currently has a 1417, lovely guns, good barrels, good wood, good action and shoots (.22lr).

As I think has been suggested, if you insist on Anschutz/Sako, get HMR Quad and .22lr Anschutz.

I have looked at this seriously, and my advice would be to forget both if you are into general hunting, and get 2 x CZ instead! (I have the CZ 452 in .22lr, .17HMR and .22WMR)

The Sako Finnfire Hunter, (brilliant gun, you will find very few on the second hand market, owners just don't sell them) actually all the Finnfires, knocks spots off the Quad in my book!! :yes:

About the "fix"

The hmr is a wider shell than the .22. The ejector claw easily grabs the wider shell but doesn't get quite deep enough into the slot in the barrel breech to grab enough of the .22 shell to reliably claw it out because the claw profile was not made 'sharp enough.

Take out the bolt and mate it up to the breach of the barrel and you will see which part of the claw meets the the deepest part of the slot. "Sharpen" the breach side of the claw a little to make it look a bit more like half of a very stubby arrow head. Below is a photo of my modified claw, shown from the underside for a clearer view

QuadClaw.jpg

The older photo's back in my old threads are of a bushnell 10x40 which is a little to high magnification for lamping. Here is a better size for lamping: Sightron 6x42 scope on medium mounts, it sits well back on the rails with about 1mm clearance with the barrels raised during replacement. I fitted some black tape to protect the scope in case I strike it accidently when changing as the barrel can lift further than needed.

Sightron-barrelchange.jpg

The rubber band keeps the lamp wiring nice and tidy. The glass you see blu-tacked on the stock is for squeaking with wet polystyrene, which charlie has been known to be inquisitive about. :yes:

Sightron6-42gap.jpg

The Quad set up for lamping as a self contained unit with no trailing wires. The oversize custom battery has 11 AF size nimh's supplying 13.2v x 2.5 amp instead of the currently supplied one of 12v x 2amp, and the bulb unit comes out of a Streamlight torch. Much more betterer than the regular Atom Tactical. :yes:

QuadLampingrig.jpg

Edited by Dave-G

Wow DaveG, thanks very much for all of that. Didn't know about the glass & poly trick. As I'm not down with the lingo just yet, does Charlie relate just to foxes or anything you might be out shooting? Just wondering if the bunnies get inquisitive about the squeaking or if they just do a runner. If I was a bunny I'd probably go for the latter. However, if the bunnies knew how I shoot they might chance a look to see what all the fuss is about.

Love the battery, much better than the brick on my belt but it does the job for me at the moment.

Cheers

depends, if you want something that actually fits you well then get a sako or anschutz.

if you can put up with the cz's plank of a stock then save yourself some dosh mate. :blush:

tbh all rimfire stocks are a plank.

i went to a local shop and the quads wood was poor compared to the CZ they had, the finish was oil smooth on CZ and the quad was rough and poor.

there wasnt much in the fit the didnt feel much different at all.

tbh all rimfire stocks are a plank.

i went to a local shop and the quads wood was poor compared to the CZ they had, the finish was oil smooth on CZ and the quad was rough and poor.

there wasnt much in the fit the didnt feel much different at all.

Surprising! sako quality control issue.

having owned both of these, i have to say i preffer the sako hunter, palm swell, cheek swell, castoff, and nice chequering. all sadly missing from the cz.

Surprising! sako quality control issue.

having owned both of these, i have to say i preffer the sako hunter, palm swell, cheek swell, castoff, and nice chequering. all sadly missing from the cz.

there was nothing wrong with the quad it was just a poor walnut stock. low grade with low quality finish.

If i buy a quad it will be the Varmint with the wood stock and heavy barrel. but at £600-£700 this is twice the price of the CZ Varmint

this is the question