What caliber do you prefer/recommend for fox shooting?

Rizzini

tried a few over the years for fox control .17rem .222 .223 .22/250 6mmppc 6mmbr .243 i like the 6mms the best good bullet choice from 55gr to 105gr that mine are throated for,and very accurate and hit hard, the 6ppc and 6br are custom made but for an over the shelf rifle the .243 takes some beating mine's a rem 700 vls 26inch barrel, 1in 9.1/8 and will shoot anything from 55gr to 105gr very well for a factory rifle, it shoots the 58gr v-max at 3900 fps into 3/8 at 100yards and the 87gr v-max at 3300fps with the same accuracy,and shot many foxes up to 400 yards with this rifle and these loads.

i've got a 22/250 and among the problems withit are muzzle flip, and muzzle flash, it seems to me that there's a bit too much powder in there for its own good. I don't regret buying the gun, but i wish i'd stuck to my guns [so to speak] with the FEO and insisted on a 243, which is a much more capable rifle.

i've got a 22/250 and among the problems withit are muzzle flip, and muzzle flash, it seems to me that there's a bit too much powder in there for its own good. I don't regret buying the gun, but i wish i'd stuck to my guns [so to speak] with the FEO and insisted on a 243, which is a much more capable rifle.

What 22-250 have you got ?

With a mod on i have next to no muzzle flip and zero muzzle flash with mine :blush: and i regularly see the bullet strike home.

What 22-250 have you got ?

With a mod on i have next to no muzzle flip and zero muzzle flash with mine :blush: and i regularly see the bullet strike home.

It's a winchester mod70, originally a coyote light, had a problem with the stock so BWM changed it for a stealth model after a bit of haggling, this has a straighter comb which helps reduce the flip. I've only just got it screw cut with a T8 mod and haven't tried it since, so i'm hoping this will cure the rest of the problems.

the 22/250 was my first c/f rifle and after owning 3 over 13 years for vermin and fox, and deer north of the border i wanted a change and went for a 6mmbr and never looked back more performance better accuracy 5 grains less powder some of my cases have been reloaded 12 times and show no wear and measure the same as 1st firing cases. Don't get me wrong the 22/250 was good but 6mmbr is great.

It's a winchester mod70, originally a coyote light, had a problem with the stock so BWM changed it for a stealth model after a bit of haggling, this has a straighter comb which helps reduce the flip. I've only just got it screw cut with a T8 mod and haven't tried it since, so i'm hoping this will cure the rest of the problems.

I too have the coyote but i have the heavy stainless barrel and a heavy laminate stock.I deliberately went this route as it is rock steady on the bipod and nearly all my foxes are shot from the bonnet of my 4x4.It may explain the muzzle flip or lack of it. My mate has got a original 70 without a mod and it does look like a flame thrower at times.

I agree that as long as you can put the bullet where it needs to be then any of the calibres discussed will do the job so maybe an accurate gun is the most important factor and not the calibre :oops:

Just curious for future reasons, but that caliber do you prefer for foxing? I do like the 22-250 but would like others experiences with the other calibers. So what caliber would you recommend for foxing?

I would go for a 243 if you have the land for one,It will save you money if you are going to add deer later,You can load 45 grains upwards.

As I shoot near the coast the wind is always strong so i load 75 grain bt for fox.

I can load them for 65 pence each 1/2 price of the shop rounds,

Hope this helps.

I would go for a 243 if you have the land for one,It will save you money if you are going to add deer later,You can load 45 grains upwards.

As I shoot near the coast the wind is always strong so i load 75 grain bt for fox.

I can load them for 65 pence each 1/2 price of the shop rounds,

Hope this helps.

Premium ballistic tipped 22-250 is 80p a round at my local gunshop..is 243 that more expensive per bullet :oops:

Go for a .243 if your force will allow it? I always think it's good to have a Deer legal calibre even if you don't plan to shoot them yet. You never know when you may get an invite or find a land owner that wants a few culled. If you buy a .243 it's a simple condition change, no need to buy a new gun when the time comes (which you may not even want to do if it's just a one off chance).

I use my 6.5 for wary Foxes that don't come close. For anything else I use my .17 Ackley Hornet which is tiny but effective!

I like the 223 for foxes as its a sweet little round and gives me great confidence in it shooting freehand,but if you prefer fox porridge you need to go for the 270 if you can get it conditioned in your area.The only downfall being the price of ammo,mine you I about to try some 270 ballistic tips to see what they do,as the 130 grin rounds travelling at 3100fps so not too far behind the 223 and also flat shooting.

Edited by maddog546

I use my 6.5 for wary Foxes that don't come close. For anything else I use my .17 Ackley Hornet which is tiny but effective!

Like Njc I use my 6.5 as thats all i have. I can recommend it, especially as I now reload which makes it much more affordable. I zero at 1.5" high at 100yds and its spot on at 200yds. it drops them a treat!

ft