Nobel number 80 shotgun powder

70mm 20g PT case, Eley primer, 20gr N82, 1/8th" OP card, 3/4" Kleena wad, 7/8th oz shot.

65mm 20g PT case, CCI109/WW209 primer, 18.5gr N82, G wad, 7/8th oz shot.

From Shooting Times Nov 6th 1986.

Edit. I have part tins of N80 and N78 in my shed, I'm never likely to use it, so if you're anywhere near East Sussex you can have it for free.

Edited by FatFreddysCat

• 4 months later...

80 was a lovely powder, back in the Seventies. It was a bulk powder compared with the Olin ball powder used by Winchester and designed for use in the AA compression-formed cases. The main issue was that Winchester ,and similar low-bulk powders,could be double loaded quite easily, with catastrophic results.

No 80 was so bulky that the wad would protrude from the case if double charged and would be immediately obvious. This engendered a certain safety margin when reloading. It was also very tolerant of cartridge case variations, I never had any signs of excess pressure over several thousand handloads, compared with factory loads where I have occasionally encountered sticking cases, blown primers, distorted wad columns, etc.

it just became too much effort and expense. Now I’m older, I buy cartridges by the thousand. Back in the Seventies,  few people ever did that; very often folks would shoot clays with good old Grand Prix, no 6, or Eley Trapshooting, varnished paper case and the same loading as described above. People would buy two or three boxes, often from local shops. Interestingly, I started at the Belfry Hotel, which had a little Skeet set-up, this would be early to mid Seventies. All gone now, the hotel is the PGA HQ.

80 powder & 82 powder....great  loads back in the late 70,s onwards.... 23gns of 80,  32gms (1 &1/8 oz) shot, and a Plaswad...smooth, consistent loads...... I still have several tins of both, and it,s as good today as it was back then. It,s been correctly stored, and there is no sign of deterioration, either in performance,or appearance.

Is No.80 a nitro powder then ?

if it is , does anyone know how many grains would I need for 28 grams of shot, I've got a Lee loadall 2

im only used to hand reloading black powder using a square load with 28grams 7 shot, fibre wad, 65 mm case.

thanks in advance,

regards Steve

On 23/12/2017 at 10:52, svincett said:

Is No.80 a nitro powder then ?

if it is , does anyone know how many grains would I need for 28 grams of shot, I've got a Lee loadall 2

im only used to hand reloading black powder using a square load with 28grams 7 shot, fibre wad, 65 mm case.

thanks in advance,

regards Steve

Yes, it is a Nitro

There was an earlier Nobel powder from the same factory, the 60 Series, but these had similar low bulk as the American powders mentioned above, so in theory could risk being double charged. As a result, Nobel changed the format to the bulkier 80 series...this means that by weight the 60's & 80's used the came charge, but NOT by volume!!

Will dig out the Nobel books shortly for some load data

• 2 weeks later...