Considering A Barrel Chop

PaulABF

Hi,

why do you want to cut the barrel. Out here I believe a 14 inch barrel is illegal for a rifle. Also for a rimfire rifle you need 16 inches of barrel to get full benefit from the powder charge. Finally it would look ugly and out of proportion. If you want to put a can on the front get it cut and threaded at 18 or 19 inches. Cheers

why do you want to cut the barrel

makes it much easier when shooting out of a vehicle.

Out here I believe a 14 inch barrel is illegal for a rifle.

No it's not in the UK

Also for a rimfire rifle you need 16 inches of barrel to get full benefit from the powder charge.

Yes but the difference in fps is not that big, only need to clean the mod more often

Finally it would look ugly and out of proportion

CZ do a 16 inch and prob sell 2:1 against 21 inch

anchultz (spelling) sell them from the factory at 14"

If you want to put a can on the front get it cut and threaded at 18 or 19 inches. Cheers

still add on at least 4 inches for cheaper rf mod.

I currently own a .17HMR with a 21" barrel. I'm considering getting it chopped at Weldon Gun Room down to 14". Is there any problems I should be aware of and has anyone had a barrel chop at Weldon? What sort of cost would I be looking at? Thanks.

I had my Quad chopped at Weldon down to 14"

Think i paid £40 but remember my barrel just pops off yours may cost more

very quick turnaround

I havnt had any problems and as markm said anschultz do a factory 14" and theirs is ok.....

shaun

PS there is a pic of mine in the for sale section and its not ugly!

Edited by shaun4860

I've just had a look at Varmint Al's website. Fascinating reading to be honest and an extremely comprehensive view of the .17HMR. I looked at his barrel length versus FPS chart. The difference between the 21" and 14" barrel's fps is only 90 fps. Even with a 14" barrel I'd still be achieving 2432 fps.

I would say going down to 16" is fine, I was in to minds as to what to do with getitng my next HMR, but went for 16"..it has 0.1" more drop than the 20"...and about 300fps less than the 20".

But just to put that in prespective, the velocity differance between remington and hornady ammo in the 20" is that much anyway :lol:

I use hornadys now on the 16"..very accurate :good:

Doesant manage to be as accurate as my 20" which my son will shoot almost bullet on bullet groups at 50yds :lol:

It opens to about 1/2-3/4" at 50yds, definately not as accurate, but sitll within a rabbit at 150yds :no:

Also below 16" is still very much legal, I looked at a 12" annie :yes: ..but by that time you relaly are loosing loads of performance :hmm:

Steve

Edited by stevethevanman

I remember a post on here somewhere about a study on accuracy, velocity etc and there was an apparent optimum length stated which to be really helpful i can`t remember but i know it is on the forum somewhere, mine was cut to 18" screwcut then moderator which still made it comfortable to shoot from a vehicle.

I currently own a .17HMR with a 21" barrel. I'm considering getting it chopped at Weldon Gun Room down to 14". Is there any problems I should be aware of and has anyone had a barrel chop at Weldon? What sort of cost would I be looking at? Thanks.

I'b be interested to hear what you settle for and what your opinions are after the chop, performance wise.

Mine is full length CZ Silhouette HMR and I do find it a little long (especially with a Scirroco on the end).

I just bought a new .22WMR and had that chopped to 19", it works well and I was thinking about doing the same to the HMR!! My last .22WMR was 16", and whilst it was short and easy to use, even with a Sako mod, it did seem a bit slow, 1" groups at 100yards though still!!

This will be a WMR American with 16" and Sako mod!!

post-20848-1264675219.jpg

Edited by Dekers

bearing in mind the proof issue and cost of chopping it and it will be more than that as his was a quad so the barrel just drops off, why don't you see if you can sell it and buy one off the peg with a shortened barrel, my inkling is with an HMR it will be cheaper

call a few bet its not £40 to cut it and re screw cut it, you can't get them screwcut for that round here

I paid £40.......but as i said its a Sako Quad so the barrel just pops off.

You cant fault their workmanship.....on site gunsmith and workshop.....Weldon Gun Room.

shaun

I read a Pete Moore review of a 16" cz hmr in a mag a few years ago and

he said the shorter barrels were choked slightly to improve accuracy. He also

did not recomend getting them chopped either, just buy a 16".

The barrel must be re-crowned as even a small scratch in the crown of a rifle can

affect accuracy.

Edited by DJLeslie

£40 sounds a bit cheap I would be tempted to speak to anyone else who has had theirs done there, if they are fine then grab yourself a bargain.

I am trying to imagine why you would offer a chop without a re-crown - surely it would be fairly useless without?

The gun shop he is talking about is very good, they have all the machines in view and the owner was trained in London. They do everything, from stock adjusting to hot blueing on site (you can see them working on guns when in the shop). They have permission to do repairs to guns under g'tee from GMK (done my teknys), Browning & E Bros (recrowned my remington 597). Whilst I have not had any guns shortened there another friend had his remington 243 (which he bought from them) cut down whilst he waited and all fine.

What is wrong with good service at a good price? You will probably find you will also not get the work done straight away as they have large backlogs

I read a Pete Moore review of a 16" cz hmr in a mag a few years ago and

he said the shorter barrels were choked slightly to improve accuracy. He also

did not recomend getting them chopped either, just buy a 16".

The barrel must be re-crowned as even a small scratch in the crown of a rifle can

affect accuracy.

Don't know the article.... and a FEW years ago, so obviously not talking about the CZ silhouette in HMR.

This barrel is NOT choked, it's impossible, CZ currently make them all the same full length and them chop them before Blueing/finishing, this barrel cannot therefore be choked in 16" form direct from the factory :rolleyes: