rewaxing ( help )

darren m

when i used to do mine, i put in a pillow case then put it in the tumble dryer to warm it up, then waxed it. it whent on so much easier. :rolleyes:

that was before they came out with a spray.

Mind you i dont know what it is about wax proofs but i just love the smell, probably memories of ferriting, shooting and beating in the cold mornings :o :rolleyes:

Axe,

Buy a Goretex DPM jacket, they may be a little bit noisy but they are breathable and 100% waterproof. I laid in about 2" of water in Scotland in mine waiting for a shot and when I stood up I was as dry as a bone. DON'T get the plastic one though, you will sweat your bits off, make sure it is Goretex.

If you can't find any info on the web let me know and I will dig out them name of the place I got mine from.

Thanks Stuart i'll keep that in mind, in the meantime do you know of anything that might help shower proof the standard DPM.

Incidentally what part of bucks are you in, I was brought up in Haddenham, is that anywhere near ya. Miss the old place and sometimes go back just to visit for nostalgia.

Regards,

Axe.

The other season I reproofed my leggings.

Reproofing was easy.

Lay the garment out flat, rub some softened wax onto it. Place a good sized section of grease-proof paper over the garment and use an electric iron to make sure the wax melts properly into the garment. Additional wax can be added to areas that have dried out severly.

Trust me it brings the garment up like new.

EF

Mind you i dont know what it is about wax proofs but i just love the smell, probably memories of ferriting, shooting and beating in the cold mornings :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know what you mean.. Ive just bought a new Border to replace one which is 29 years old... ive had a few Huntin, shooting, fishing coats over the last few years some Ive paid 300 plus sovs for and to be honest they are all **** compared to the original and best... IMO

Thanks Stuart i'll keep that in mind, in the meantime do you know of anything that might help shower proof the standard DPM.

Regards,

Axe.

Nikwax do cotton proof which is a wash in proofer and will make your cotton dpm shower proof at least. It is never going to be that waterproof because of all the seams but it will help. Blacks and Millets should sell nikwax or be able to get it for you.

Or you can get a dutch army gore tex liner from a surplus shop which you can wear under your dpm they are not that noisey either (like a gore tex outer jacket would be).

Bill

Hi

If you do go to Blacks/Millets to get some wash in or spray proofing do yourself a favour and buy the Grangers brand. It`s the only waterproofing officially endorsed by gore for goretex clothing. Oh and if you decide to wash any waterproof fabric make sure to use pure soap not a detergent such as Bold, Ariel etc has this destroys waterproofing very quickly.

regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...