ferreting

matt the feret man

so you're happy to have lost one in the past for 11 days because you didn't put a collar on it and are allergic to digging. To me thats not very nice to your ferrets to put it very mildly. A bit like saying I don't put my dog on a lead but if it runs off it will come back some day :good:

I don't always use a ferret collar because there are some places I ferret that you just can't dig. I haven't had to dig once this year and I think digging in a farmers field is a little bit disrespectful saying he gave the permission for me to be there.

hi i was just wondering how many of you actualy use ferret finders. This is because mine is **** it now goes to about 2.5 feet if that and i really want to go out on saturday has anybody got any tips?? hope so i am desprate

change the batteries and test on a known good collar to prove if it is collar or locator.

al

I don't always use a ferret collar because there are some places I ferret that you just can't dig. I haven't had to dig once this year and I think digging in a farmers field is a little bit disrespectful saying he gave the permission for me to be there.

How'd you manage that? are you just paitent or do you use small jills or?

How'd you manage that? are you just paitent or do you use small jills or?

There has been a couple of long stands, i.e. bout half an hour but in general the ferret always comes out. I keep a rabbit that is not paunched, then if the ferret stays under I will open the rabbit up and he nearly always comes to the smell :good: . A lot of the areas I ferret I can't dig, i.e. too deep or limestone.

There has been a couple of long stands, i.e. bout half an hour but in general the ferret always comes out. I keep a rabbit that is not paunched, then if the ferret stays under I will open the rabbit up and he nearly always comes to the smell :good: . A lot of the areas I ferret I can't dig, i.e. too deep or limestone.

Fair enough. Anything longer than about 15 mintues without noticable activity I'll digg (If it's less than 4ft easy soil). About 5 mintues work and you get an extra rabbit!.

Though, I did get really excited because I had a 1.5 foot lay up. I though 'Blimey! one hit with the spade and we'll be on'em'. So, took the spade, struck the ground and 'twannnggggg'. - it was 1.5ft of flint, took me about 30 mintues.

Fair enough. Anything longer than about 15 mintues without noticable activity I'll digg (If it's less than 4ft easy soil). About 5 mintues work and you get an extra rabbit!.

Though, I did get really excited because I had a 1.5 foot lay up. I though 'Blimey! one hit with the spade and we'll be on'em'. So, took the spade, struck the ground and 'twannnggggg'. - it was 1.5ft of flint, took me about 30 mintues.

As I said previously I don't like digging if it can be helped (although I will always take a spade for emergencies) because I don't like digging up a farmers field after he has given me permission.

I dont always use the locator........... one permission is on some horse fields with metal containers all over it the warrens are under the containers with holes going underneath them...... cant dig if i tried so no point use te locator....make sure you ferrets have a small feed an hour before you go. That way, they should not be hungry, and should drop the chances of a lay up............this is always a risk tho, if they have rabbit in a stop end head first!!!

I have also ferreted with an old boy that used nothing but 6 ft poking rod. He would feeret a 5 or 6 holer, and if we had a lay up he poke the warren all over, Im guessing getting an impression in his mind how the warren was set up.... once he dug...he always came out with a bunny...... but thats 70 years in the field for you! lol

I often think that people are too quick to dig, my view is that its better to wait 30 minutes having a cup of coffee, than sweating over a spade for 45 minutes only for the ferret to walk out anyway.

Waggling a stick in a few of the holes is an old trick to get a ferret out, they are naturally inquisitive and often come for a look.