spent cartridge shells

foghorn

Not having a semi-auto, but thinking of getting one, I have a question on this...

Does using a semi-auto cause some people a pain re picking up fired cartridges? I would love to get one, but in some scenarios like shooting out of a boat (which I do quite a bit) I can't see this working as the carts would probably eject into the water?

The distance spent cartridges are ejected from gun is quite impressive! I've found them upto 15ft away! :good:

Make a shellcatcher, they are easy to make I know loads of people who have em.. just use something that is netty and something that is wrappy, then wrap the wrappy thing round the netty thing so it covers the shell-come-outy thing and waller.

you have a shotgun shellcatcher

Edited by Shuck.

I use a Benelli & find it no problem to pick spent cases up.

A lot end up inside the hide & I pick these up if there is a lull in proceedings to make things easier at the end of the day.

If a Farmer has the decency to give you permission, have some respect & don't leave any mess behind.

The other major annoyance I have is plastic wads scattered around, these being smaller are more likely to be eaten by cattle etc.

I banned my team from using them, felt or nothing. Just no reason for plastic wads shooting at 40 yard pheasants.

A

Yep if you're gonna use em, pick em up

Yep if you're gonna use em, pick em up

I totally agree with everyone. But what really p***** me off last time out was the dirty sod who has had **** in the only two areas in the field that was possible to set up the hide. It must have been human as i've never seen an animal use toilet paper !!

We're always telling guns on our shoot to make sure they pick there shot cartridges up, but we still find emptys all over the place, I've even found a few loaded cartridges! pigs!

Same as ours rad... Approached one gun who denied furiously that he left spent shells... But as he was the only one shooting fluoro pink carts he was bang to rights....muppet..

I always pick my shells up... :good:

There is no livestock on our permission but walking round stubble lately I have been amazed how many plastic wads there are in the fields, and after the results I got yesterday with felt wads I think I will be switching.

There are a few guns that just eject their spent cases even on the driven days but |I always pick mine and any others I find in the hide, it just seems wrong turning up for a nice day in the country only to find plastic **** every where when you get there.

out of interest would deer eat plastic wads?

There is no livestock on our permission but walking round stubble lately I have been amazed how many plastic wads there are in the fields, and after the results I got yesterday with felt wads I think I will be switching.

There are a few guns that just eject their spent cases even on the driven days but |I always pick mine and any others I find in the hide, it just seems wrong turning up for a nice day in the country only to find plastic **** every where when you get there.

out of interest would deer eat plastic wads?

Probably not, the residue from the gunpowder would prob put them off.,too hard and they'd take a long time to chew!

BB. :good:

Picking up spent shells is a Club and syndicate rule, always tied in with number of shots fired on pheasant days. Aside from cartridges and discarded farm plastic the countryside today is a disgrace, especially alongside the A1 adjacent to my home. Eveeryone seems content to throw plastic bottles, alu cans and all sorts of debris from their cars. I think that bottles and cans should carry a surcharge of at least 50p tied to a barcode which could be redeemed when these items were recyled properly. Is that impossible?? Meantime two council employees clear the threequarter mile route from the high school to the town following school lunchtime every day. Plenty CCTV as well so why are these young adults not punished for depositing litter? Instead they are getting the message that someone will clear up behind them. Grrrrr :angry:

Blackpowder