Ok guys and gals best chainsaw?? Recommend one

utectok

I'm looking for one that will be used quite regularly but doesn't need to be mega hard core I do a bit of felling and logging for my wood stove and general upkeep of small woodland and field. My last one was 50cc and did me fine so I guess something like that would do I am hoping not to spend more that £350 if at all possible. What would you recommend?

Cheers Guys and Galls

STIHL 12" or 14" for lighter work - 18" is good for bigger stuff.

STIHL or HUSQVARNA are the only decent professional saws and do not give any bother - the other makes are just toys.

Hope you have all the safety gear - the chainsaw trousers saved my leg when the saw bounced about 15 years ago - it only has to happen once.....

Good luck

as said either will do, I've had both and though light use my Husqvarna 136 has certainly seen some work with no problems at all, usually have a bit more power than the stihl offerings but other than that there isn't much to choose between them. My only issue with the husky is it just won't tension the chain properly, run it from cold at the right tension then next its too tight, slacken it off and its too slack gets irritating but its about my only complaint with it in about 5 years. For a £180 saw to do about 10 tonnes of logs a year plus a load of thinning really I can't complain

as said either will do, I've had both and though light use my Husqvarna 136 has certainly seen some work with no problems at all, usually have a bit more power than the stihl offerings but other than that there isn't much to choose between them. My only issue with the husky is it just won't tension the chain properly, run it from cold at the right tension then next its too tight, slacken it off and its too slack gets irritating but its about my only complaint with it in about 5 years. For a £180 saw to do about 10 tonnes of logs a year plus a load of thinning really I can't complain

I don't no your back ground with chain saws al4x but I have never had a problem with tension on a husqvarna and I used one professionally for some time. I hope im not teaching you to suck eggs but to tension any chain saw properly with the chain slack and saw on a stable table back of truck or good sized log. Hold the handle and lift up slightly putting pressure on the tip of the bar then tighten chain and nuts up. if you don't do this after the first few cuts the chain will come lose as the bar works upwards. I personally prefer Husquvarna but still are easier to work on ie changing drive sprockets and clutch's ect. What ever saw you go with make sure you get the wright ppe gear its well worth it :good:

Edited by crouch valley

its really strange and may just be an oddity but this saw just seems really difficult to run tension right, only saw I've had like it and done it with different chains, its fine if you run it slightly slack but try and run it at the correct tension it'll tighten up as it gets warm. I've had a fair few different saws and it may be because its low down the range and aimed at the light user that the tensioning mechanism isn't that good.

A Husky or Stihl will do the trick. Jonsered are pretty much a Husky so also good.

Cheap Huskys are better than cheap Stihls, but I find the bigger Stihls easier to work with. They're not so finely tuned so seem to put up with more rough treatment!

EDIT... This one looks good. Bottom of the range pro saw. It will do all you ask of it...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stihl-MS240-16-Petro...=item19ba11e75a

Edited by njc110381

its really strange and may just be an oddity but this saw just seems really difficult to run tension right, only saw I've had like it and done it with different chains, its fine if you run it slightly slack but try and run it at the correct tension it'll tighten up as it gets warm. I've had a fair few different saws and it may be because its low down the range and aimed at the light user that the tensioning mechanism isn't that good.

Try looking at the bar mate make sure there are no burs on the inside of the chanel and out side make sure its not bent slightly. Try reversing the bar ie turn it upside down as a slightly lose chain will cause bar wear. If there is any sighns of blueing probably time to change the bar.

I've had a number of Husqvarna saws and never had a chain tension problem, I suggest you go take it in for a service.

Maybe the thread on the tension bar is worn or slipping :good:

Edited by agusta

I have a Husky 235e and had a few problems with a warranty issue on it but after that it was fine definatly a better option than the stihl in the same price bracket, the tensioning on the newer ones are tool less and work very well for me, try to pick the bigger engine with the small bar as people seem to go for the biggest bar possible but it's easy to run out of power, I have the 235e with a 15" bar and as i said it works well.

Regards,

Garry.

Hi guys thanks for all the top advice. Yup I have the trousers and the gloves and the helmet etc. So I'm fully equiped safety gear wise but no saw! I have been told by a couple of tree surgens I know not to get a second hand saw as they are usually trashed. Is this true ? How could I tell anyway ? That said could I get a new saw that's a husky or Sthil that's got a 50cc engine for £350 ish? Cheers guys Will

My choice would be a Stihl MS260, reliable well proven model.

I run saws daily and have had no end of problems with the 357, carb isues starting etc TBH I think its a very poor saw although nice when it works.

441 is my main saw with 260 for small stuff. Husky are nice over 70cc but I dislike them below.