My "new" hammergun

arjimlad

When I was about 15, in or around 1987/88, my Dad was given a San Marco hammergun by someone who had bought it in the 1950s and owned it from new.

I shot well with it and eventually I bought it from him. I used it on my first ever driven pheasant shoot, I remember shooting lots of clays with it and have some especially good pigeon shooting memories. I part exchanged it at a dealers in about 1998, when the left hand lock needed rebuilding, and the action began to shoot a little loose, and over the years I have regretted parting with it.

I got this gun in January 2010 from a dealer in London for nostalgic reasons. I don't know how old it is, but I suspect it must be 15 years old or more. I have never seen one for sale new in the UK in 20 years of reading shooting magazines. It has 27 1/2 inch barrels, choked full & full, and a 14" varnished stock. The gun weighs 7lbs, which I don't find too heavy. I find that it balances well.

The barrels say they are made of English Steel from Vickers but made in Italy. I guess they must have bought the tubes from Vickers.

The seller described it as "as new", and with the exception of some small cabinet type dings in the stock and metalwork, (of which I was fully informed prior to purchase) I would agree with that.

It seems that this gun was purchased, and put into a cabinet. There are very few visible signs of use at all.

The gun has sideclips and engraving, gas vents around the strikers, and a dolls-head extension.

It closes very precisely with a nice click and the action is very tight. It has an Anson & Deeley push rod on the fore-end. The hammer sear engagement feels very positive and the triggers are not light. I have not measured weight of pull but they feel heavy to me. Still, they are not heavy enough to impede my shooting.

This gun is no Holland and Holland, but then I guess it was a cheap gun in its time. It looks nice from a distance but if you get really close, you can see the jointing of the locks into the action is not fantastic. The gun works fine. The hammer strikes are very positive indeed. I took it out on clays and when I did manage to connect, had some very positive kills.

Because I need a stock of over 15" length, I have put a leather slip-on buttpad on the gun, and it is still too short for me. It doesn't fit me properly yet. I will need to extend the stock. The stock is a plain piece of wood with a hard bakelite sort of butt plate. If I can get the stock off I intend to strip it and give it an oil finish at the same time as extending it.

I have a Browning 525 for most of my shooting, a nice AYA no 4 for game, and this gun for pure nostalgia. Next, I need to make it fit me.

One of the two side-by-sides may have to go. I am not sure which it will be just yet. The San Marco is as near to new as one can get and has many years left in it, I hope.

Beautiful gun mate.

I'm a nostalgic hammer gun owner, I took on my grandads 12g side by side two years ago when he passed away.

Its a Spanish gun made in 1963 probably with no monetary value, but like yourself I used it on my first driven game shoot.

I hope you don't mind me posting some pics.

18022010038.jpg

18022010039.jpg

18022010035.jpg

18022010037.jpg

Hope you enjoy using yours.

James

Bring 'em on - bring out your hammers !

That Spanish gun looks nice.

I tried mine on clays the other day, could not hit very much with it, but what I did hit was nicely dusted. It's really far too short in the stock for me at the moment.

You need to get Wabbitbosher to post some pics of his hammerguns on here :good:

ZB

I shoot with an 1870 E.M. Reilly hammergun (which Wabbitbosher has seen pics of) as my main gun and really cherish the experience each time. It is still wholly original, with Damascus barrels (no choke in either), push-forward underlever, and some smashing wood. Coupled with the original case, I consider myself merely the custodian of this fine old gun for the next generation and well kept for, it will surely outlast me :good:

I shoot with an 1870 E.M. Reilly hammergun (which Wabbitbosher has seen pics of) as my main gun and really cherish the experience each time. It is still wholly original, with Damascus barrels (no choke in either), push-forward underlever, and some smashing wood. Coupled with the original case, I consider myself merely the custodian of this fine old gun for the next generation and well kept for, it will surely outlast me :good:

I agree !

i restore old Grandfather Clocks, i sold one the other day made in 1730 , the chap that collected it said the same,

You can Never own one ! you are merely its Custodian !

Wb