bird despatching

tomhw100

hi fellas

i know even the best shots still have the undesirebale task of despatcing wounded birds,but what do you think is the most humane way? i personally much prefer a siimple donk on the head with a priest or large stick, on the otherhand one of my mates always swings them round by there head,i personally think this is a bit of a sloppy approach!

cheers Tom

hi fellas

i know even the best shots still have the undesirebale task of despatcing wounded birds,but what do you think is the most humane way? i personally much prefer a siimple donk on the head with a priest or large stick, on the otherhand one of my mates always swings them round by there head,i personally think this is a bit of a sloppy approach!

cheers Tom

As above priest :blink:

hi fellas

cheers Tom

Catamong taught me the best way:

Hold the bird and turn its head around, 1, 2, 3 and a half and *crack* it's dead. Simple and very effective. Don't pull or anything, or you end up with a headless bird.

Oh and the above method ensures you don't end up smashing half the feathers out of it.

hi fellas

cheers Tom

Does it matter if it still humanely kills the birds? No. Learn from your mate (if he can actually do it cleanly) as this is the best and easiest way to save having yo carry a priest or stick around with you all day. Just place your index and middle finger under the birds chin and around the back of its head and your thumb on top of its head, as someone else said a quick flick and you should feel the birds neck break and the head become loose :blink: takes 3 seconds

hi fellas

cheers Tom

father_jack_hackett.JPG

Priest

Eeugh :good: Ozzy Osbourne lives! :good:

Twist the head round then a subtle pull until you 'feel' the neck break. I found it took a few times to get the feel of it but once you've got it, then its quick and simple.

yea i new old punt gunners used to do it to duck they had shot like teal or wigeon i wouldnt fancy doing it to a malard tho! my mate tried doing it to a dove once and got a mouth full of blood for his troubles hahahaha he wernt impressed! :good: