Canadian Geese

sixhills 69

Hi;

Could anyone tell me when shooting Geese where is the best place to shoot for a clean kill with a rifle, as i have been asked by my land owner to cull the geese on the lakes with a shot gun on shot and there gone so i want to use a rifle, but i only shoot things to eat so i don't want to blow i them to bits i stopped doing that when i left the army.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi;

Could anyone tell me when shooting Geese where is the best place to shoot for a clean kill with a rifle, as i have been asked by my land owner to cull the geese on the lakes with a shot gun on shot and there gone so i want to use a rifle, but i only shoot things to eat so i don't want to blow i them to bits i stopped doing that when i left the army.

here we go again YOU CANNOT SHOOT WILDFOWL WITH A SINGLE PROJECTILE AND THEY ARE NOW OUT OF SEASON

And they are CANADA geese not Canadian.

You cannot just shoot them for the hell of it, you HAVE to be able to prove that all non lethal mathods have failed and they have to be causing a problem like a health hazard.

Something not quite right here anyway and what is with the smilie in the topic title?

I suggest a TROLL.

And geese on a lake are not pests, that is where they live. Geese trampling crops are a pest and can usually be moved on with a few banger ropes.

Edited by MC

And they are CANADA geese not Canadian.

You cannot just shoot them for the hell of it, you HAVE to be able to prove that all non lethal mathods have failed and they have to be causing a problem like a health hazard.

Something not quite right here anyway and what is with the smilie in the topic title?

I suggest a TROLL.

And geese on a lake are not pests, that is where they live. Geese trampling crops are a pest and can usually be moved on with a few banger ropes.

[/quote

Sorry for asking i'll just go and blow a pigeon out off the tree" as its just sat there having a kip not causing any problems at this present time" (for those that can not see past the trees) and only want to take the p---

here we go again YOU CANNOT SHOOT WILDFOWL WITH A SINGLE PROJECTILE AND THEY ARE NOW OUT OF SEASON

It's headed Canadian Geese...ok we all know...Canada...but probably best not to shout too loud, especially when you are wrong!!! :good::good:

Edited by Dekers

come on give him a break, the general license covers canada geese so its perfectly legal to shoot them out of season. Check if your vermin condition covers them with your FEO and just go out and do it. Geese can make a hell of a mess if they are present in large numbers hence some landowners wanting numbers controlled.

Al4x is right.

It's a regional thing, they may be uncommon in parts of the country, any one who doesn't think they are a pest has obviously never seen the numbers on the Thames or the gravel pits in the South East.

I know someone who had a licence to shoot them off a golf course, and he used a .17hmr, by all accounts quite successfully :good:

i shot them all the time the golf course i shot is full of them on my liceence they are vermin cause load of damage same as the ponds i shot they cause a right mess and the fisher dont like them as u were asking were to shot for clean kill and u were in the army if u dont know now u wont will i spent many years inthe army the first thing they taught me wa howto make aclean kill

Thanks for the comments the lakes are smack bang in the middle of a free range chicken fields which give free range eggs, ropes have been used on the lakes but they walk round. The geese eat the chicken food and attack them bangers are not aloud as they stop the chickens laying which is a no no as thats the buisness,i have spoke to my FEO and they are classed as vermin, they come in large flocks whic seem to get bigger a shot gun means you have to get close and all they do is fly into the chicken fields. I use a .22 rimfire with sound mod at 50yrds and get three to four before they take off.

I always go for a head shot but i heard to shoot at the lower throat area as this was better thats why i asked. Is this True?

( i should of worded it better in the first place)

come on give him a break, the general license covers canada geese so its perfectly legal to shoot them out of season. Check if your vermin condition covers them with your FEO and just go out and do it. Geese can make a hell of a mess if they are present in large numbers hence some landowners wanting numbers controlled.

Just because a bird is on the general licence does not make it vermin. Like it of not Canada Geese are wildfowl and always will be. They may be shot under the terms of the general licence and that states only after all non lethal methods have been tried and exhausted.

Pigeons are different as you hardly ever see a field of crops without some kind of scaring device in it, however ineffective.

I GIVE UP there are diferent types of farmers WHICH WE ALL SUPPORT WHILST CARRYING OUT OUR SPORT some have CROPS some have LIVE STOCK and VERMIN have it be PIGEON or GEESE I was looking for information not personal views and some people need to check the facts before slating people that have a genuine question which i have seen lots of times on this site (pick pick pick nothing better to do) ..... THANK YOU FOR THE MEMBERS THAT GAVE EXPERT ADVICE GAIN THANKS.....

Edited by sixhills 69

Just because a bird is on the general licence does not make it vermin. Like it of not Canada Geese are wildfowl and always will be. They may be shot under the terms of the general licence and that states only after all non lethal methods have been tried and exhausted.

Pigeons are different as you hardly ever see a field of crops without some kind of scaring device in it, however ineffective.

Chill my Friend , Natural England appear to want to make the General Licences even more complicated than Defra used to (and don't forget there are National differences around the UK)

Wildlife can, and often does, appear on more than one of the licences which means there can be many reasons to lawfully permanently remove them!

Being VERMIN can simply be one reason, H&S is another gem of course, as is predation of other species, crop damage, etc, etc!!

:good::good:

ATB!!

I GIVE UP there are diferent types of farmers WHICH WE ALL SUPPORT WHILST CARRYING OUT OUR SPORT some have CROPS some have LIVE STOCK and VERMIN have it be PIGEON or GEESE I was looking for information not personal views and some people need to check the facts before slating people that have a genuine question which i have seen lots of times on this site (pick pick pick nothing better to do) ..... THANK YOU FOR THE MEMBERS THAT GAVE EXPERT ADVICE GAIN THANKS.....

Fella, there are a lot of wildfowlers on here who don't regard canada geese as pest or vermin but a true sporting bird. This is where the communique breaks down on such forums as this as we have a wide base of members.

All I will say to you is is you have got to do what you got to do, I can assure after my many years of moving on problem geese it does not require a bloodbath to achieve it.

At last someone with a bit of sense rather than the attitude of "It is on the GL so I can going to kill it"

And I will say it again, CANADA GEESE AER NOT ******* VERMIN THEY ARE WILDFOWL.

Being able to shoot them under the terms of the GL does not make them vermin.

Its not that attitude MC, its they are causing a mess and affecting a farmers livelihood so he has asked for a reduction of numbers and as it is perfectly legal to do so Sixhills is going to do just that. Been there with small flight ponds being trashed by 100 plus canadas and the subsequent food bill attached to them eating all your duck food so have a bit of sympathy.

At last someone with a bit of sense rather than the attitude of "It is on the GL so I can going to kill it"

And I will say it again, CANADA GEESE AER NOT ******* VERMIN THEY ARE WILDFOWL.

Being able to shoot them under the terms of the GL does not make them vermin.

Your Blood pressure must be through the roof, there are plenty of situations when Canada Geese can accurately be described as vermin!! Doesn't mean they are not Wildfowl by genetic designation!!

:good::good:

It is exactly that and stuff the sympathy.

There is no mention of having tried to mave them on, just lets go and shoot them.

The easiest way to get rid of geese from a flight pond is stop feeding it, they won't stay where there isn't food and there is no need to be feeding one at the moment.

Sixhills actually says in his original post one shot from a shotgun and they are gone so what he wants to do is shoot them with a rifle. So in fact he is looking for a bloodbath and wants to shoot them all in one sitting.

They aren't really that hard to move on then are they?

Edited by MC