.17 HMR blue tip

I checked the zero at 100m Dave-G and I can achieve the same group as you.

Having posted on this forum that I've not had any "runners" since changing to the 17 HMR, **** law has struck and I had three last night :yes:

I have bought a new batch of ammo and was using that last night. The Rabbits were hit hard, not head shot but in the "engine room" and managed to drag themselves away. The other two I shot were hit in the same place and died instantly.

One other thing I noticed was the lack of damge to the Rabbits, my last batch of .17 ammo would've blown the top half to bits with all kinds of horrors to look at, but not these ones :oops: If I shake 'em I can hear the powder rattling inside and I don't remember this with the previous batch.

Any views or opinions would be very helpful

Thanks.

Are they still hitting the same place as your old batch or are they lower - could be going slower.

I am using blue tips which I bought around July - some cause loads of damage and some don't. In the colder weather I have had my first strange hits/misses. One jumped 6 feet in the air then exploded into undergrowth (could have been the jumping refelex which made him jump along instead of upwards), one I gave a haircut (there was fluff on the ground but not sure if I hit him) and one did a couple of barrel rolls then merrily hopped off. These were three in a row on consectutive occasions. All seems a bit odd, especially as they were what should have been easy shots.

Got one at the weekend and that was proper. Massive exit wound on the head.

I re-zero'd the rifle because I had to re-position the scope and it is shooting really accurately.

I just have no explanation as to why the Rabbits are suddenly able to escape from a .17HMR V-MAX bullet.

As soon as Hornady get back to me I will post their opinion here.

I will remain grateful and appreciate all views and theories. :rolleyes:

ive about 40 rds of red tip left right now and 150 blue to move onto, but at the same time ive seen all of the above described with bunnys shot with red tip, some look un touched and others look like i to took to them with an artillery peice !

Will let you know what i find when i get chance to use some ! :rolleyes:

ive about 40 rds of red tip left right now and 150 blue to move onto, but at the same time ive seen all of the above described with bunnys shot with red tip, some look un touched and others look like i to took to them with an artillery peice !

Will let you know what i find when i get chance to use some ! :lol:

I've had the same with different batches of ammo. First box of 50 hornadys I ever used were ****...I shot both a 25 yard rabbit and a pigeon with them and no damage what so ever,(thankfully it killed them well enough so I suppose thats a perfect result :rolleyes: ). Switched to Winchesteres and they fairly smashed up the rabbits heads :P I also have some remingtons that wont group or cause much damage so I've never really used them up :good:

Think there's a bit of pot luck in the quality of each batch or whatever.

ATB :good:

Thank you all so far for your contributions.

I had to go off to work yesterday afternoon and so missed your posts until today. I've not heard anything from Hornady as yet, but looking at CZ452's post, and the Salop sniper's I'm almost convinced to go back to the .22lr. I never had extremes from one batch to another with .22 ammunition, mind you it was all Eley.................. Hang on :wacko: That's the answer :angry:

Get Eley to make the .17HMR round ???

Anyone got contacts there?

I will be interested to hear how you get on with the blue tips Salop Sniper as I haven't used the red ones yet myself and at £12 a box of 50 I would expect great things from them. :lol:

I too have noticed that different batches of HMR rounds seem to have very different properties. It was raised on the forums that in the early days of the HMR the round was much more explosive than it is now. If you do a search you may be able to find some more information on it. I use federals because they shoot well through my gun and its what the dealer stocks, but from what I understand many (all?) brands of .17HMR ammunition are actually manufactured by CCI. So CCI may be the company you need to speak to.

'Ere we go.............. :angry: I have had a reply from Hornady and I couldn't possibly have predicted the answer:

"we don't make the blue tip, who is the manufacturers name on the box?"

My reply: Hornady :wacko:

Edited by hyflier

Hi all, This is, I suspect the last of the emails from Hornady in this enquiry, so make of it what you will :good:

"*****, I have done some more research on this for you and found that we made a special run for a company called Edgar brothers in Europe with the blue tip bullet. They did have our label on them. They were to be loaded to the same spec as we use. I wish I could get some of them back from you for testing but exporting them would be impossible."

There we are, no further forward, no solutions and I'm still in doubt to the standard of this ammo. Thank you all who have read this post and to those who have contributed their thoughts.

<_<

Hi all, This is, I suspect the last of the emails from Hornady in this enquiry, so make of it what you will :good:

"*****, I have done some more research on this for you and found that we made a special run for a company called Edgar brothers in Europe with the blue tip bullet. They did have our label on them. They were to be loaded to the same spec as we use. I wish I could get some of them back from you for testing but exporting them would be impossible."

There we are, no further forward, no solutions and I'm still in doubt to the standard of this ammo. Thank you all who have read this post and to those who have contributed their thoughts.

<_<

This can be a problem issue as perhaps you just have a bad box/batch/whatever, or perhaps it is an issue with your rifle/scope/you/whatever...I am not making a judgement here at all, but there are many possibilities.

I have the Blue, I have got, and used MANY MANY hundreds of them, to this point the low thousands actually, and I haven't found any difference to the reds which my rifle did particularly like!!

ATB!!

funnily enough I had a fox on friday night while out with GB and using a new batch of red tip hornadys had an entry and exit wound on a smallish vixen. She was fairly small but chest shot and having the round exit is a bit unusual not had it before with the ballistic tips, ran 20 yards before dropping dead. I'd worry less in your case and just check your zero and get the shot placement improved on

I heard from Edgar Bros. who said that all .17 HMR is loaded by CCI :hmm:

Out of sheer fate, I was asked to try out a new sound moderator for rimfires. I first fired at a rabbit with my old silencer at 50m and missed :hmm:

Thinking up some rude words, i changed to the new moderator, next bunny.... straight through the head at 50m :hmm: and the next ............ and the next :hmm:

two later, both head shot at a longer distance than that. :good:

Confidence now restored......... but something alse to perhaps consider for inaccuracy's