solid slug reloads?

a guy i know has a spas 12 section 1 on his licence, he was asking me about reloading his solid slugs instead of buying them. he was given a few loose slugs, and wanted to know if he could reload them into a 32g shell, simply by cutting open the crimping, pouring out the shot, popping the slug into the shot cup and sealing it with candle wax.

i didnt know if this was possible or not (i dont reload) but told him id find out, tho i reckoned a cartridge with a flat wad might be better than one with a cup. whats everyone else think?

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the answer to your question is yes it does work and works well .BUT we used to use 1 o/z round musket balls in a 32 gram no 6 cartridge the candle wax also acts as a lubricant for the slug .now some people probably have different views on this but i was thought this method by a reloader and he recons it was totally safe using the 1 o/z ball weight .the cartridges were always felt wad never plaz

the answer to your question is yes it does work and works well .BUT we used to use 1 o/z round musket balls in a 32 gram no 6 cartridge the candle wax also acts as a lubricant for the slug .now some people probably have different views on this but i was thought this method by a reloader and he recons it was totally safe using the 1 o/z ball weight .the cartridges were always felt wad never plaz

cheers mate :good:

he showed one of the slugs, they werent round like a musket ball though, they were like the one shown in this pic (top row, second from left), seemed to be hollow on the bottom though - would this method work ok with them do you reckon? got to admit he got me wondering if it would work or not, especially when he told me how much a box of solid slugs costs (£13 for 25!)

slugs.gif

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

Guest cookoff013

just get a recipe from a powder manufacturer, or lyman.

they have many recipes, all of which should be better than a bodge job.

there are many slugs, foster, lyman, brenekke, dangerous game, sabot, and a couple more rifled and ball.

cook.

Slugs are 1oz or less (7/8oz) and loading tables drive them at about 1600 fps. Always stick to the loading tables for best results. A lot of slugs give poor accuracy and its quite an art loading for them. There are many weird and wonderful designs of slugs on the market. The ones you describe sound like they came from a Lyman Mould, casting them is one cheap option if you can get them to fly straight but a lot of the commercial ones have big flutes on them to make them spin as they pass through the air.

Its much more difficult than loading ordinary shotgun cartridges. Properly loaded with the right slugs you shoud be able to get 2-3" groups at 100 yds but with the wrong loads and the wrong slugs you won't even get a group. More to the point, you won't even get them on the target.

Edited by Vince Green

I agree and ask the mods to delete all of this!

why? would it not be better leaving it so if someone else is wondering the same they dont need to ask? just because you dont agree with something thats posted doesnt mean it should be deleted, otherwise thered be sweet fa left on this site! so please stop being a sanctimonious **** and asking for stuff to be deleted :oops:

anyway, i dont think anyone with a bit of sense should start messing about with cartridges (why do you think i asked this...), unless they really knew what they were doing. as i have stated all along, it was a question that i was asked by a friend, who has now been told that if he is intending to do something like this then it might work, but that he needs to spend alot of time reading up on reloading before taking the very big chance of blowing up his gun (and possibly himself) in the process. without having this thread, i would have had to say "sorry mate, havnt a clue" and then thered be a good chance he'd decide to try it out some day with god knows what consequences.

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

To be fair you also took nightowl`s word too.

If you get the chance try firing a 32 gm cartridge of SG`s and then a 32 gm load of 6`s, the recoil of the larger shot is horrible and with a single projectile that will fit well in the bore, and possibly more so if the skirt flares, then the resultant pressure spike may well leave your mate with a shotty that looks like a banana skin.

If you get the chance try firing a 32 gm cartridge of SG`s and then a 32 gm load of 6`s, the recoil of the larger shot is horrible and with a single projectile that will fit well in the bore, and possibly more so if the skirt flares, then the resultant pressure spike may well leave your mate with a shotty that looks like a banana skin.

i didnt take his word per se, i thanked him for his advice and asked him his opinion as to the type of slug - but, if you look, i also thanked brian for what he posted, i asked cookoff for a bit more info about recipes as i know nothing about it, and i took vinces opinion on board too. then as youll see i took it all into consideration, told him that it might (big MIGHT) work, but that thered be too much risk of blowing up his gun and possibly himself too, and so he would need to start learning about reloading.

admittedly i was a bit off last night, for which i apologise, but i just dont like the attitude some members have, which is if i dont agree with it its totally wrong and shouldnt be on here :oops:

:rolleyes:

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

Guest cookoff013

32grams is 32grams regardless of shotsize. recoil will never be diferent unless the speed changes.

i`d sudgest you get lyman 5th shotshell manual. it explains all the fundementals about shot and slugs.

slugs usually have a slower powder. but go much faster than shot.

you will get some load recipes / tables. and shoot safer and cheaper, with higher performance.

32grams is 32grams regardless of shotsize. recoil will never be diferent unless the speed changes.

i`d sudgest you get lyman 5th shotshell manual. it explains all the fundementals about shot and slugs.

slugs usually have a slower powder. but go much faster than shot. exactly so shooting a slug in a cartridge that has just had the shot tipped out will give a pressure spike, yes ? Therefore 32 gram of shot will kick less than a 32 gram solid slug :blush:

you will get some load recipes / tables. and shoot safer and cheaper, with higher performance.

Guest cookoff013

it kinda does matter what wad is used, and what size the slug is. too tight is too bad, to lose isnt good enough.

there is some really good information about slugs on another forum. who have made a 3.5" super slug going 2000fps +

its bolt action too !

some slugs are .700" some are .640" and both are fired from a 12gauge.

there is no relationship between recoil and pressure, some steel loads run at 1800fps, and have a pressure of 8000psi. (which is low-mid range.)

if a lighter charge of shot was used in a cartridge the pressure is usually lower. the same would apply if a lighter slug was used than the intended shot weight.

in a 21g cartridge there is usually more powder than a 28g cartridge. (assuming the pressure and the velosity are the same)

pressure is your friend, (and your worst enemy)

i still would urge everyone, not to **** around with cartridges.

Edited by cookoff013

• 3 years later...

You can buy the moulds for most slugs! I was given one with my reloading gear for the 1oz lee slug but have never used it. I also found a half dozen slugs in with the mixed lot. Apparently it is not illegal to own the heads but it IS illegal to assemble if you dont have a FAC for solid slug.

Thats why I didn't even use the mould OR the slugs I have.

Thanks for the info.

I was able to open the link.

Yes, they are legal as heads.

I am trying to identify a certain slug. It is rifled and has a two part RED plastic wad attached. I have searched umpteen sites now and cannot find anything like it.

Edited by Floating Chamber