Pigeon shooting

SSS

I did once last year and it was just brilliant.

Normally I wouldn't go for them with a 22LR but I found a load coming in to a pile of old corn, and there was a decent backstop behind so I laid up in the first row of a high rape field about 70 yards away and spent all afternoon picking the woodies, crows and feral pigeons off.

Got to admit it was damn good fun - when a 22 round hits them they just flop over like those fairground targets do. I was almost wetting myself :yes:

Has any one ever been pigeon shooting with a .22lr?

I was thinking about setting a decoy pattern out at 60 yards and waiting for them to land.

Is this another one of my daft ideas? :yes:

All the best,

Sam :yes:

If I ever get my .22lr granted I am gonna shoot rooks and jackdaws on suitable fields in the summer.

I did once last year and it was just brilliant.

Normally I wouldn't go for them with a 22LR but I found a load coming in to a pile of old corn, and there was a decent backstop behind so I laid up in the first row of a high rape field about 70 yards away and spent all afternoon picking the woodies, crows and feral pigeons off.

Got to admit it was damn good fun - when a 22 round hits them they just flop over like those fairground targets do. I was almost wetting myself :yes:

nothing like a bit of respect for animals eh. im all for pest control, but killing for fun, and wetting yourself??? :yes:

nothing like a bit of respect for animals eh. im all for pest control, but killing for fun, and wetting yourself??? :lol:

You are beginning to sound just like me. :yes:

Back on topic, have either of you two done it? :yes:

Theres that phrase again.

So obviously you didn't enjoy doing it, it was just "PEST CONTROL"

i enjoy shooting martin whatever the guise, but ive never wet myself when doing it. i have one of those farmers who likes everthing removed (legaly).

I do it every year! Myself and three mates have a permission back home in SW Scotland on a mates farm that is ideal!

We get an old door and nail it to four fence posts to create a solid bench rest. We then all get a deck chair each and then put up a gazibo frame around it which is draped in cammo net. We then set decoys and bait out to around 300 yards with a large hill as a back stop. We then sit there all day shooting what comes in. In the past we have had pigeons, crows, rabbits, foxes etc etc. Last time we had a .22lr, 2 x .17HMR and a .243 with 75 grain Vmax for the long stuff. When it gets quiet you can practice on mole hills, clods of earth and targets set out at range!

Brilliant day out!

Baiting is not illegal. Crows eat wild pheasant eggs so a fake nest of hens eggs draws them in.

Whats so bad about baiting? I take it you never use decoys or a rotary.

I am inclined to say you simply disagree with people on here for the sake of it, especially if their views do not agree with your " I am the perfect example" views.

Edited by fortune82

Baiting is not illegal. Crows eat wild pheasant eggs so a fake nest of hens eggs draws them in.

Whats so bad about baiting? I take it you never use decoys or a rotary.

I am inclined to say you simply disagree with people on here for the sake of it, especially if their views do not agree with your " I am the perfect example" views.

<_<

<_<

Cheers Mate!

First it was the crime of the century to use 7.5 28 grams on pigeons, despite myself having killed hundreds with such a load. To add insult to injury he then admits to using a 28 bore on pigeons!!

Now it is a crime to draw birds into range!

Why would I want to shoot Sparrows?

Recently he has been causing issue with people shooting for fun or pest control!!

never had an issue about opening up a rabbit for crows and magpies makes for some really good sport with the rifle. Yes I don't wet myself at the prospect but there is a certain satisfaction to be had from shooting crows knowing the damage they do to other wildlife

Well - looks like I said the wrong thing earlier.

I do respect my quarry, fully and without question. It just so happens that on that occasion, seeing a bird knock over just like a fairground shooting stand made me giggle.

I am sorry. And I hope I haven't made the baby Jesus cry.