car insurance!!!!

gixer1

Folks,

are there any insurance brokers on the forum? I've been looking into me and my wifes car insurance and am a bit confused, I'm 30 y.o and have 2 motoring convictions (one an SP30 and the other a TS20) but 9 years no claims

My wife is 27 and has a clean licience. but 6 years no claims, historically my insurance has always been cheaper, but we usually have my wife as main driver on one car with me named and me as main on the other with her named.

a year ago past december an idiot ran into the back of my car and this set off a small legal battle which ended up in the 3rd party having to admit full blame and everything being settled, this year I have gone to renew both insurances and mine has gone up considerably (about £120 per year)

I have quoted both me an my wife for both cars and the quotes for my wife are coming out around £140 cheaper.

As 1 car's V5 is in my wifes name and one is in my name is there any problems with both cars being insured by my wife as main driver and me as named??

I know this will loose my no claims (unless it's one of these policies with 2nd driver NCB) but would there be any other issues??

has anyone got a duel vehicle policy? I have 2 cars (Discovery and BMW) and a motorcycle so I was wondering if it might be cheaper to cover all 3 in one policy but obviously the bike can only be in my name. (like bennets policies or a trader policy)

It is such a bloody rip off as the accident in the car goes against the bike policy but the no claims don't! when will this country inforce some fairer rules on the insurance industry!!!

Any thoughts welcome..

Regards,

Gixer

get an Admiral multi car quote, I'll almost place money on them saving you money, yes it goes down as a non fault accident and they do increase your premium accordingly but shouldn't be that much. Keep both cars insured in each others names to stay the right side of things though I suppose you could play about with an online quote to see if it makes any difference which car you are main driver of.

Funnily enough just had a car body repairs salesman in the office who are looking to bung us £250 towards our excess if we send any vehicles to them, its all a con and unfortunately we all pay for it.

Edited by al4x

Move to East London - noone has insurance - all parties just scarper before the police arrive :mad:

funnily enough years ago I had a prang in East London, had a mini cab pull out on me which I hit pushing me onto the other side of the road hitting two cars and they were all uninsured and all tried to claim off me :cry1:

drive with no insurance.

If you get caught you will only have a £100 fine, so you will have saved £20.

Well thats what you usually read in the papers

Only kidding mate.

i had the same problem when i phoned them they gave me the inflation speech and that all insurance companys were putting theirs up

They are very clever though as they now have the price comparison websites so they now what roughly you would pay elsewhere.

I cancelled my renewal then tried to get it cheaper elsewhere but couldn't ended up going back with tail inbetween my legs

It's just a total rip off! in 14 years on the road I've had 2 car accidents (both non-fault) and 1 bike accident (very much my fault!) and it just seems out of order!

Swift cover are the leaders at the moment though....

I paid extra to go with privilege before and when I was in the accident where the guy ran up my back I realised that paying for better service is like sitting on a pig waiting for take off.....no point at all!

So i'm looking for no frills-bit of paper-legality this year!

Gixer

Ahh! found a clause to stop the wife insuring both idea! you can only use NCB on one vehicle! BLOODY RIP OFF!!!!!!! :mad:

6 years NCB is 6 years, why does it have to be allocated to 1 vehicle? do they think that you forget the 6 years of trouble free driving when you get out of one into another?

i'm thinking 2 fiat panda's may be the answer.... :cry1:

Its always been the case with NCB but you've got 9 years and she has 6 so you shouldn't be paying that much. My L200 with Admiral is well under £300 with similar no claims though I have been a good boy so far, or rather never been caught :mad:

I take it go compare and the likes can't help

The best I can get on my quote(as apposed to the wife) (from go compare through Swift) is £337 for the discovery (52 plate TD5)

and £355 for the BM (57 plate 330d)

But the area I live in is well within the "low risk" and that is with them both garaged!

I'm going to hunt for the next telesales insurance person that says "calm down, it's only an insurance quote".....

those arent actually bad prices :sick:

ps - just remember when giving insurance staff grief, youve already given them your address, and some of them enjoy hunting too... :blink:

:shout: :blink: :blink:

drive with no insurance.

If you get caught you will only have a £100 fine, so you will have saved £20.

Well thats what you usually read in the papers

Only kidding mate.

i had the same problem when i phoned them they gave me the inflation speech and that all insurance companys were putting theirs up

They are very clever though as they now have the price comparison websites so they now what roughly you would pay elsewhere.

I cancelled my renewal then tried to get it cheaper elsewhere but couldn't ended up going back with tail inbetween my legs

drive with no insurence and its more like £200 and 6 points.

Your wife should be able to duplicate her bonus. Insure 1 car with a firm and then insure the other one the day after with the same firm. They'll duplicate it to get your business.

Some insurers may play silly ******* re: one if the V5's being in your name but if they declined a claim on that basis, the FOS would rule in your favour everytime