Good One Willie

markm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people on poorp wages are either not bright enough to earn more or in the job for the love of it. :good:

So your saying they are all thick ? I dont think so look at alot of people who have done well for themselfs they left school with no quals but worked there way up to were they are now mostly running succesful companys

If you're on poor wages then I guess you either accept it or you do something about it i.e go and study and learn how to do something else.

If you want to work your way up through a company I suggest you don't become a militant unionist as it won't help your career.

Sorry OTH, but your argument holds no water at all. We are all entitled to our opinion of the BA strike, no matter what we earn and no matter what our perks are.

John r I have no reason to question yours or others right to opinions but I think if you have have a well paid job with perks it just makes it rich .

After the uproar of MPs expenses by the uk tax payers if some of the MPs came on here saying the BA workers have no right to strike and get back to work you over paid lot you should have a hard life like us MPs would you think that was right.

Kind regards OTH

So your saying they are all thick ? I dont think so look at alot of people who have done well for themselfs they left school with no quals but worked there way up to were they are now mostly running succesful companys

Accademic qualifications do not make you clever, the lack of them does not make you thick or unable to succeed.

It is however a minority who succeed without qualifications. Why?

Because to succeed in anything you have to try hard.

Some people don't do well at school then realise that the only way to rise above the dross is to work and try hard. Others just carry on through life in the same couldn't be bothered way that they did at school.

After the uproar of MPs expenses by the uk tax payers if some of the MPs came on here saying the BA workers have no right to strike and get back to work you over paid lot you should have a hard life like us MPs would you think that was right.

Kind regards OTH

Well the MPs are not going to come on here are they? You seem hell bent on dragging even more irrelevance to your argument, by which you dilute it even further.

Edited by john_r

I am hoping Walsh crushes the union into the dirt, did you see the standard of cars the strikers were driving, nothing under 2yrs old. They get a very good wage, good perks and don't have a particulary bad job.

So, here is raising a glass to BA and hoping unite and all the other unions walk backwards with a limp...

The green eyed monster is alive and well

KW

That might be your opinion, but I feel it is irrelevant and adds nothing to the discussion.

However, just so you don't think I am shirking your question, I get no salary, I am self employed so I "get" whatever I can afford to take out, and right now in the current climate that is not a lot. The perks are that I get to go shooting/fishing on a week day if time permits.

That'll be dividends then? Rate of tax on dividends compared to wages? Oh I forget. :good:

That'll be dividends then? Rate of tax on dividends compared to wages? Oh I forget. :good:

Actually you are making an assumption that I am running a limited company, as self employed is another matter altogether.

In any case, dividends are not as useful as many folk think.

Also... to get back onto the bleedin' topic, this is f-all to do with the OP, and I still maintain the strikers should get back to work.

Edited by john_r

Accademic qualifications do not make you clever, the lack of them does not make you thick or unable to succeed.

I quite agree, but a lot of professions you need a string of letters after you name to even get looked at.

Anyway I am 100% with Willie, he will win.

In my company we had many redundancies last year, did not get any pay rise and nothing planned for the next couple of years, and lost our bonus. Did we go on strike? NO, because we saw the sense that if we did we would ALL be with out a job.

well to start with you can only draw them from profit which you have to pay 21% corporation tax on so its not as beneficial as you might think, ok you don't get hit for NI or company NI but its usually a statement made by those who can't get off their backside and work for themselves :lol::lol:

willie was on the BBC this morning and making sense, the problem is he has to take on the unions if BA is to survive.

Edited by al4x

Isn't it strange how the argument for unions is that we would all still be in victorian times if it wasn't for the unions yet whenever you hear about unions and strikes they are ALWAYS opposing MODERNISATION?

As Alanis once said "Isn't it ironic"

Willie Walsh or to be more accurate British Airways WILL win as the other option will put tens of thousands of people out of work.

the way it always works is the union shouts and the company has a starting point. Once they back down a bit and the union feels its justified its existence then they will meet in the middle ground. Bearing in mind the perks issue I can't see many people who broke ranks last time joining in on the next strike so he has definitely gained more bargaining power. Its looking to be chaos in the next few weeks, BA the railways Gas etc etc

You are right there,

Chaos for some, fortunately I am not flying anywhere, have no need to use the train and we don't have gas anyway. So go on boys strike all you like, you lose credibility everytime you do it and the unions are really only ever looking out for one group anyway. And that unfortunately isn't you.

I saw on the news this morning that a group of 100 of the country's leading academics said that Willie Walsh was trying to break the union. No **** sherlock. :good: Do you really need to be an academic to work that out?

I come from what was one of the biggest mining towns in the country. At one time a significant part of the town was employed by the NCB (infact they more or less built the town).

The last mine closed about 5 years ago. Guess which people lost their jobs last. THE UNION.

Oh and heres the BA facts on freebies, seems quiet good to me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8586933.stm

Edited by markm

well to start with you can only draw them from profit which you have to pay 21% corporation tax on so its not as beneficial as you might think, ok you don't get hit for NI or company NI but its usually a statement made by those who can't get off their backside and work for themselves :good::lol:

willie was on the BBC this morning and making sense, the problem is he has to take on the unions if BA is to survive.

Is not pay 21% on earnings upto £150K after a £10K tax free allowance? Works for some people.

Is not pay 21% on earnings upto £150K after a £10K tax free allowance? Works for some people.

nope its not, from memory as a company we pay the 21% then from the remainder what we draw as dividends we get a notional tax allowance up to the higher earnings level then get taxed to make up the difference between corp tax and the 40% level so its not as good as it looks. Though the NI saving is pretty substantial. Plus you can't really do it for all your earnings you do need to have a certain portion paid as salary

Wullie... it is abundantly clear that you don't know the first thing about self employed pay/salary/director's remuneration/shareholder's dividends etc. You have no business at all criticising others until you have learnt the subject upon which you are so keen to judge.

Seeing as how you saw to direct your questions to me personally, let me tell you what it is really like. I have, for 28 years, never been able to tell anyone what I will bring home from one month to the next. It shifts and changes all the time, depending on how much work there is about. It has never been any different, and you know what? I wouldn't change it for the world because I like my job.

Now, do you dare you tell me how well off I am? What business is that of yours?

Keep the topic on track... please.

Edited by john_r

its not as good as it looks. Though the NI saving is pretty substantial. Plus you can't really do it for all your earnings you do need to have a certain portion paid as salary

Absolutely right... also over emphasis on dividends can play havoc with a pension scheme.

Wullie... it is abundantly clear that you don't know the first thing about self employed pay/salary/director's remuneration/shareholder's dividends etc. You have no business at all criticising others until you have learnt the subject upon which you are so keen to judge.

Seeing as how you saw to direct your questions to me personally, let me tell you what it is really like. I have, for 28 years, never been able to tell anyone what I will bring home from one month to the next. It shifts and changes all the time, depending on how much work there is about. It has never been any different, and you know what? I wouldn't change it for the world because I like my job.

Now, do you dare you tell me how well off I am? What business is that of yours?

Keep the topic on track... please.

Eh don't think I mentioned how well of you were or weren't and you're absolutely right it is no business of mine and coincidentally no interest either.

Two points on original post.

1. Overthehill suggested that those opposed to the strike state there incomes etc. you're reply avoided doing this is and as this is a public forum I felt warranted comment. Said comment did not include references to your income or status.

2. As you are self-employed I take it that is because it is preferential and beneficial to you.

For the record.

1. Am also self-employed.

2. Would be happy to see an amicable, fair end to the current situation.

Hope you are having a good day otherwise. :good:

Eh don't think I mentioned how well of you were or weren't and you're absolutely right it is no business of mine and coincidentally no interest either.

Two points on original post.

1. Overthehill suggested that those opposed to the strike state there incomes etc. you're reply avoided doing this is and as this is a public forum I felt warranted comment. Said comment did not include references to your income or status.

2. As you are self-employed I take it that is because it is preferential and beneficial to you.

For the record.

1. Am also self-employed.

2. Would be happy to see an amicable, fair end to the current situation.

Hope you are having a good day otherwise. :lol:

You seem to have forgotten this comment to me:

As for Overthehill, he said that anyone commenting to this thread should state their salary and perks. Yes, you are right I have not provided that information, however nor has he!

Your final line is right though, I am sure everyone will want a fair settlement. Trouble is each side wants to "win".

As for my day? Mostly I am changing the front panhard rod bushes on my Disco... mostly :lol:

You seem to have forgotten this comment to me:

As for Overthehill, he said that anyone commenting to this thread should state their salary and perks. Yes, you are right I have not provided that information, however nor has he!

Your final line is right though, I am sure everyone will want a fair settlement. Trouble is each side wants to "win".

As for my day? Mostly I am changing the front panhard rod bushes on my Disco... mostly :good:

Snap Isuzu pick up.

Take care.