Hares

dibbz2000

28g's of number 7 or 8 will do the job at close range, I have shot 3 or 4 this year (in fact one just a couple of days ago) stone dead with this cart but at no more than 25 yards when the dogs spook them, 30 or 32 g's of 3's or 5's would seem more appropriate, but then I don’t set out for them if they show I will take them only if confidant of the shot

ive never shot a hare as we dont have enough around here to justify it, but i hear they take alot of killing, and on walked up days they require 5's and 4's?

from what i read and hear its best to overkill them as they give out a very distressing human like cry :) , wouldnt have thought 7's was enough :beer: but ive not got any experiance in the area.

Hammy is spot on this link should help

http://www.gct.org.uk/brownhare/hunting.html

pavman

Can,t really see a circle of guns all shooting inwards as the safest way to run a hare shoot especially as they are only on an acre of land. You don,t normally get many hares to wait to be encircled. Having taken part and arranged many hare shoots the accepted method is line abreast across the field with no shooting across the line. As normally I always shot with people I knew well we never had an accident. It was on other shoots that you get to watch the eager beavers banging away and picking up their trophies only to find they have a couple of hundred/thousand yards uphill to the end of the field carrying them. Ah ! to be young again. Velveteens.

Hammy is spot on this link should help

http://www.gct.org.uk/brownhare/hunting.html

pavman

Can,t really see a circle of guns all shooting inwards as the safest way to run a hare shoot especially as they are only on an acre of land. You don,t normally get many hares to wait to be encircled. Having taken part and arranged many hare shoots the accepted method is line abreast across the field with no shooting across the line. As normally I always shot with people I knew well we never had an accident. It was on other shoots that you get to watch the eager beavers banging away and picking up their trophies only to find they have a couple of hundred/thousand yards uphill to the end of the field carrying them. Ah ! to be young again. Velveteens.

The ref was only the bit about there being no closed season in the intro, I am going to have to watch myself with you guys :lol:

Dont shoot em with anything... Hares are in decline... particularly on their grassland strongholds along with the grey partridge...

Ok so you might see a few in a 40 acre field but that doesnt mean a glut.

I accept in some areas they appear plentiful but generally as an agricultural pest a new age travellers donkey does more damage.

I dont shoot em, like to see em about. I appreciate that some of the northern brassica growers wont agree with me but thats an exception and they do need to be controlled.

FM.

Now there is no better sport to be had with hares, I shoot them with a clear conscience because there is a shootable excess in my area.

On monday I shot one stone dead with 32g of no6 at 30m. I had the dog with me for any follow up action if it had been required. To be fair I was not after hares, it was purely an opertunist shot. Afterwards I switched to 32g of 5s that I carry for high birds.

Dave