What is the best watch you have ever owned?

christy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading the Breitling story posted today got me thinking. I have spent a few quid on watches over the years. Nothing as spectacular as a Breitling but a few 200 quid chronographs.

They all conked, usually the buttons cease to work or the manufacturer has no parts. Had a Seiko for 10 yrs once and they (Seiko) told me they had no parts so hard luck. I complained like hell and they gave me a credit for 300.00, fair play.

Anyway that's all behind me now because I have found "the one".

I have owned my present watch for 5 years. Every single day it is accurate to the second. When I hear the beeps on tele or radio it is 100% spot on. No maintenence, no batteries-simply tells the time-every time. It is a Casio G-Shock that cost 80.00.

In the early hours of each day (2am) it recieves a radio signal that automatically sets the time.

Unbelievablably accurate day after day. Never breaks down.

Only thing you have to look out for is in the winter if the sun has not shone for days it may need to be left on a window sill for an hour to re-charge. Mainly caused by wearing long sleeves when it does not see day light for 72 hours.

Summertime/wintertime change over-it knows and just does it. How valuable is that!

Best watch ever for me. :no: What's yours???

If you want an accurate watch you don't want anything mechanical, no matter how expensive. My rolex loses about a minute a month, maybe more. Any cheap quartz watch will do far far better. The most common misconception is that top end Swiss watches are very accurate! remember we are talking centuries old technology here!

I bought a Dunhill watch as a Christmas present to myself in 1986 - still going strong & no problems - steel, roman numerals, date & battery powered.

Nearly lost it twice - first when it was quite new when it fell off into a natural pond that I was working on. Spent hours feeling through the mud and eventually found it.

The second time was in January this year when I was away for 2 days shooting in Scotland - came back to the house at the end of the first day and was getting undressed before having a bath. When undoing the cuffs on my shirt, it dropped to the floor. Picked it up and found the clasp was gone - missing completely. Must have happened sometime during the day somewhere out in the Ayrshire countryside and by great good luck, the shirt cuff held it in place for the rest of the day.

New clasp and battery now fitted and all fine.

Lovely understated class reliable watch

I don't wear a watch for safety reasons which is as well because I am "death to watches" :no:

as a kid my dad bought me one of the indestructable Timex jobbies that was advertised tied to

an outboard prop, ski's etc I went out to play with my mates and a hour or so later came back wearing

a wriststrap and a watch frame the rest face fingers glass had disappeared shock proof maybe

but evidently not Delproof scatter!

I want:

breitling-full-302x357.jpg

The Breitling Emergency Mission.

Ever get in a life threatening situation and you need rescuing, just unscrew the large screw on the right of the watch and pull out the coil of wire. For 48 hours, your watch broadcasts on the emergency frequency for hundreds of miles. A fair few people have been rescued using this and Breitling will even give you a brand new one, if you have to use it in a genuine situation.

However, if you use it as a joke, expect a £15,000 bill from the RAF for scrambling a Sea King Helicopter and Breitling will not replace the now useless watch. :no:

Edited by harfordwmj

i agree - nice looking watch.

my inner BBS walt has always rather like MTM watches..

http://www.specialopswatches.co.uk/c/466/Watches.htm

I also have a Bell and Ross which look quite unique. They have a military look about them and are supposedly favoured by bomb disposal experts although don't know how true that is

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/Bell-and-Ross...-Watch-(BR-003)

Out of interest, has anyone ever need to tell the time at 200 metres under water?

Rolex Sea Dweller 'Deep Sea' is rated to 3,900M!

It's not the static pressure that's the issue, it's the dynamic pressure, i.e. the pressure exerted on the seals as you move under water. A watch rated at 50M is effectively ok to do the washing up in or taking a bath/shower, 100M rating is ok for swimming/snorkling but a watch used for scuba diving should be rated at 200M plus even though safe limit is 40M without using exotic gas mixtures!

The really deep ones such as the Rolex above are designed for saturation divers and the like who may work in depths of anything up to 500M. Obviously the dynamic pressures at that depth will be much greater! Remember also that Rolex dive watches were born of the need for accurate timepieces in the 50s and were originally standard issue to divers employed by the Comex company as well as navy divers. They became trendy after this and cost to the general public reflected the amount of R&D that went, and still does go into, something that will still work WITH ABSOLUTE RELIABILITY at those depths.

Would love a Deep Sea but they are just too big and bulky to wear with a suit IMHO, they are also about £6k and quite difficult to get hold of, think there was a couple of years waiting list last time I looked!

This is mine

post-21717-1270034472.jpg

Traser H3......never loses time, lightweight polycarb case, and the little glass thingies filled with gas are so bright you can tell the time at a glance in pitch black. Not too expensive either :no: Had it two years or so and i'd get another if this one goes on the blink.