One for the carp/Specimen fishermen

starlight32

This one is for the fishermen among us, a bit of a survey;

What do you guys look for at a venue apart from double figures?

Nice layout/Pleasant surroundings?

Night fishing?

Well laid out swims-Shallow or Mid depth?

No kids- Yes/No?

Facilites/accomodation?

Shop?

Would also like to know what are the sensible prices per rod for carp to 35lb, Tench to 10 and Bream to 9?

I know the answers to a degree in what I would want, but it is nice to get a more wider input from a wider field of anglers outside the area.

Personally found few places that have it all so it depends really.

One of the syndicates I belong to is in a deplorable place, motorway noise 24/7, motorway services over-looking it, **** poor swims, ridiculous dep and scrotes roaming around frequently enough to keep you on your toes with leaving gear unattended BUT the fish (4lb roach, 5lb perch, big carp and even bigger catfish) ensure that I keep renewing the membership.

Used to fish a beautiful estate lake with old wildie strain carp and a few bigger lumps and that was special - got runied by idiots filling it in with bait though.

Also found a new venue on CAPS which produced a 20 and mid double first afternoon session, amazing venue for the first season then others got wind and it slowly went down hill.

Mainly the reason why I find it hard to be motivated by lake fishing these days - much prefer moving water.

If you've found someone special my advice would be enjoy it for as long as you can and keep schtum!

Edited by Raja Clavata

A nice syndicate or club water that has the sort of fish I'm after. :rolleyes:

Nice layout/Pleasant surroundings? definitely

Night fishing? definitely

Well laid out swims-Shallow or Mid depth? enough room to cast and for all the gear-not to worried about depth

No kids- Yes/No? Yes as long as they are quiet/well behaved

Facilites/accomodation? Not to worried about these

Shop? not worried if there is a shop or not

Would also like to know what are the sensible prices per rod for carp to 35lb, Tench to 10 and Bream to 9? £60-£150

I know the answers to a degree in what I would want, but it is nice to get a more wider input from a wider field of anglers outside the area.

I fish rivers, exclusively. I mainly fish for Barbel and river Carp.

The things that I look for in a water and the ones that attracted me to my current one (have been on it for a very long time now) are.

The fact that it is fairly exclusive, meaning we don't get many idiots and most of us know each other, you can also walk the 3 mile stretch and normally not see anyone.

The look of the place, the stretch I fish at the moment is stunning, picture perfect.

Good swims, which have not been over worked and are still natural. I personally cannot stand the sort of places that have perfectly cut out swims. My current water is Very wild.

The stock of fish is very important, I don't want a water that is over stocked with ugly simmos and deformed Barbel. My current water has a good head of big Barbel, a small head of very large Carp and some cracking chub, pike etc.

The fact that the price is very reasonable and that I live a 30 second walk from it.

No stupid rules. Except maybe one, we are not allowed to bivvy up (not a problem for me, I sleep under the stars)

We bailiff it ourselves and anybody that is fishing that shouldn't, is moved on and told where the free fishing is available on church land.

I consider myself extremely lucky to live next to such an amazing piece of water.

Edited by Jamie_

For the last 10 years or so i have only fished syndicate waters, if i had to fish day ticket waters i am sure i would have sold my gear long ago!

what do i need from a water?

Some proper home grown carp

No crowds

Thats it, any other facilities would be spoiling me

My current water has nothing, just three stunning lakes with a few lovely old lumps in it

196.jpg

287.jpg

Any water with an off licence within walking distance, a curry house that delivers,i must be able to get my motor right next to my swim,good mobile reception so i can keep all my mates informed,and no old duffers that moan if i play my sounds loud,throw in a few ducks,coots,moorhens i can **** with my air rifle when fishings a bit slow and im in fishing heaven

for me it has to be running water, no crowds,no pegged out swims,a variety of species,no litter,nothing that has been dredged for boat use, nothing canalised,to help against floods,

I just need a natural river somewhere in it's upper reaches so you don't get boats, with a natural stock of wild fish that still meandres through flood plains, where the wild life is unspoilt and you have a chance and it only needs to be a chance ( i have barbel fished a very low stocked few miles of river for the last 6 yrs and still not had one from it) of a real monster of pretty much any species i love them all (except eels)

nick

Around my way (Heathrow and surrounding) you are spoilt for waters, I preferred syndicate or club waters, the more natural and overgrown the better. I have burnt myself out with 'Carping' done it to a point of obsession, I pulled up just before I got involved in going to France for long weekends......

As for rods, went through loads, finally ended up with Tails Up Nivana 12ft 3.5lb TC, an a amazing rod for distance or margin work.

ATB

Tony

Night fishing?

No kids- Yes/No?

Facilites/accomodation?

Shop?

Would also like to know what are the sensible prices per rod for carp to 35lb, Tench to 10 and Bream to 9?

been fishing for about 20 years....mainly carp, pike and barbel now but still love bashing the silvers.....

i have just moved to Norfolk and have found my ideal place....

5 lakes and a stretch of river....but it will have to wait till next year to join as i am skint

got to be good and pleasant place....use to fish a lake in a park and it was cracking fishing just got fed up of the crowds...

yes to night fishing as nothing better than chilling out on a nite with a beer and a good chat or just the radio on

depends on the venue to the swims....i like it to be a bit natural but with bark chipping so dont get all muddy and that...

kids over 16 but must be known to the baliff or manager any trouble and off..thats goes to anyone tho..and no refund

not bothered about facilites at all...maybe a portaloo if that

:good:

Night fishing?

No kids- Yes/No?

Facilites/accomodation?

Shop?

Good surroundings with wild life on ground as well as in water.

No day tickets as a lot of today's so called big fish anglers are a pain in the **** on day tickets. they dont care about the fish or the other anglers. fish at any cost.

you need some shallows so the water will warm up quicker in the sun, get the fish feeding quicker after the winter so they can put on the weight. a deep water takes longer to warm up.

dont need a shop, a toilet is good as it saves the bog roll piles in the woods.

night fishing for members only

a catch shed is good. we have one on my brothers lake, all fish caught are recorded in the book, its become a bit or bragging rights to tell the truth, when its slow you will find some of the members will sit in the shed cooking and having a giggle. plus thy do a barbecue on june 16th for all the members, it brakes the ice with new members as well and allows a good banter.

as a syndicate you cant get the members to do work parties in the closed session. yes we still have a closed session. only a few weeks but its a chance for the banks to grow grass and fish to have a bit of a rest as well as the work parties for paths and tee trimming.

if you want to make good money then put big fish in and charge £20 a day for two rods only, 16 pegs, 7 days a week, 7am till dusk, no nights and limit the bait going in. Cuttlemill near the belfrey golf course use to me a good water for this and with some big fish in there but im told its not the same since the lady has left the place. do the math and work out the income.

Phil.