Brass for Reloading!

I have just read "intree's" post on used .243 and .22 Hornet Brass and it has put a bit of a thought in to the often emptyness of my head, so here goes!

Obviously "intree" doesn't reload any ammo and nor do I, just the same as a great many of us either do not have the time or inclination to reload their own ammo for whatever reasons. The thing is what do you do with the empty Centre Fire cases that you get through if you don't bother with reloading? OK, as has been pointed out to me there are some RFD's that will give you a bit of discount onyour new ammo if you give them the empty brass for reloading just as there are some who have friends that reload so they save the empty brass for them, fine and all well and good. But what about people like me or "intree" who do niether, (And I am sure that there must be hundreds of us about that don't reload Centre Fires)? What do we all do with our empty brass cases?

Why not save up all of our empty centre fire brass and whenever we have a reasonable amount of any particular caliber (Mine is .222) offer them to someone on PW that does reload that calibre in exchange for a small donation to either a charity of their choice or a charity nominated by the PW members each year.

If we all did that just think of the help we could be giving to so many others by giving something that we would normally throw away!

Edited by Frenchieboy

save it up for when you start reloading :good:

I have to say i wasn't going to start but one demonstration showed its well worth while, my rifle came down from an inch to half an inch groups while just playing with the OAL without even touching the load and that was on a pretty windy day. Now it seems I'm afflicted with the bug

Now it seems I'm afflicted with the bug

Hate to say I told you so :good:

Anyway...

I'm not a great fan of using other peoples brass in my rifle / loads....

1 - It's a ball ache, Full length sizing / trimming it all

2 - Who's to say it's "once fired" ?

3 - I doubt any of you have spare Lapua brass kicking about the place :yay:

The best reloading brass, is brass that has been fireformed in the same rifle you will be reloading for.

Hate to say I told you so :good:

Anyway...

I'm not a great fan of using other peoples brass in my rifle / loads....

1 - It's a ball ache, Full length sizing / trimming it all

2 - Who's to say it's "once fired" ?

3 - I doubt any of you have spare Lapua brass kicking about the place :yay:

The best reloading brass, is brass that has been fireformed in the same rifle you will be reloading for.

OK Gary, I am not faulting what you have said in the slightest as it is onvious that you like so many others of us seek perfection, and I commend you for that. However please allow me to clear up a few points without sounding rude as that is not my intention:

1. This might be the case but and as I do not know anything about reloading i can not comment on this point but it seems that some are happy to do it.

2. If it is factory ammo that is coming from someone that has shop bought it and does not reload then I don't see how it could be anything else than "once fired only".

3. Laupa brass, that is far too good a quality for my level of shooting, when I win on the lottery I might well get some and then you can have the brass from them!

4. It may well be the case that the best reloading brass is brass that has been fireformed in the same rifle that you are going to use it in but all I am doing is trying to suggest something that might help others out by offering something that might normally get thrown away.

Please do not be offended by this post as it is not intended to offend, all I am doing is trying to say it the way that I see it, and as I have said, I know practically nothing about reloading so I may well be wrong and if so please feel free to correct me.

No offence taken.

It's all a matter of personal preference!

Reloading, in the most part is about developing a load with various components - and then sticking to it. Simple changes to this "recipe" (case, head, powder, primer) can and will upset things.

What I'm trying to get at is, although it sounds like a great idea - most reloaders will already have tried and tested loads with their own brass and favourite components, and therefore the uptake of this idea may not be particularly great. Although I can see it appealing to someone just starting out.

You've also got to be able to meet supply and demand, it's all very well working up a load in say Norma brass obtained from someone on here - but what do you do when that batch reaches the end of it's life, and the only option being offered on here is say Federal brass?

For me, I buy Lapua. I didn't used to, but I have since realised that the initial outlay (£50 - 100 cases) is actually very cost effective when I see upwards of 9-12 reloads from this Brass.

I have just read "intree's" post on used .243 and .22 Hornet Brass and it has put a bit of a thought in to the often emptyness of my head, so here goes!

Obviously "intree" doesn't reload any ammo and nor do I, just the same as a great many of us either do not have the time or inclination to reload their own ammo for whatever reasons. The thing is what do you do with the empty Centre Fire cases that you get through if you don't bother with reloading? OK, as has been pointed out to me there are some RFD's that will give you a bit of discount onyour new ammo if you give them the empty brass for reloading just as there are some who have friends that reload so they save the empty brass for them, fine and all well and good. But what about people like me or "intree" who do niether, (And I am sure that there must be hundreds of us about that don't reload Centre Fires)? What do we all do with our empty brass cases?

Why not save up all of our empty centre fire brass and whenever we have a reasonable amount of any particular caliber (Mine is .222) offer them to someone on PW that does reload that calibre in exchange for a small donation to either a charity of their choice or a charity nominated by the PW members each year.

If we all did that just think of the help we could be giving to so many others by giving something that we would normally throw away!

If your saving it up I'll gladdly take it off you and donate to your charity

Jos

I think that if you shoot the same brand of ammunition regularly so would have say 100 .222 Remington cases then someone could make good use of them. It's a great idea.

I like using Lapua brass for my loads but for someone just starting out who hasn't got the funds to go and buy 100 unfired Lapua cases it could be a great help.

Perhaps the first person to come up with say 50 cases should start a topic in the reloading section maybe (not in the for sale section unless it's a sticky as it can't be bumped)?

There is a buy and sell section on this forum so if you are accumulating empties and want to pass them on then why not? It might do someone else a favour.

There is a little thing about Lapua brass which most people agree is the best although others might say Norma is the best. I read on another forum recently that a lot of the European ammunition manufacturers are now slowly shutting down their case making production lines and instead buying their cases from other manufacturers, notably Privi Partisan, because they can buy them in cheaper than they can make them.

Its a practice that started with shotgun cartridges years ago as most people are probably aware. Now even Eley are doing it.

The machinery and the tooling for making centrefire cases is very expensive and with so many different calibres to make it is uneconomic to continue to make all the cases themselves. Shut the factory, sack all the staff and buy in the cases from somebody else as and when you need them.

So these days you can not be sure that the headstamp is a true indication of where the cases really came from. What I have noticed is that the Privi cases are now top quality cases so I am inclined to believe it could be true.

It certainly mirrors what is happening in every other industry. We bought a well known make of electric kettle last week but when we got it home and turned it over it had made in China on the base. Cars too, a lot of the German makes are now made in factories in the former Eastern Bloc

Edited by Vince Green

OK Guys, there seems to be a reasonable response to the idea of sending your used brass cases to others that waht to reload them in exchange for a "small donation" to cover the post and packaging. While thinking about if it was wise to nominate a charity or to leave it up to the individuals I have came across this thread. Unless someone else has any better ideas then i can not think of a better cause that that of a young lad like this who is the son of one of our PW Members. Your thoughts and ideas are most welcome, but I for one will be suggesting this to anyone who has brass off me in the future as every penny helps!

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...howtopic=122998

Just a quick update on my previous post.

I have just had a PM from jack01 who has set up a PayPal account for his son who has been given the chance of this life changing operation. For anyone who wants to offer centre fire brass for reloading maybe they would like to donate anything raised from the brass (that they would normally throw away anyhow) to this very worthwhile cause.

Please let us all give this young lad a chance of a better life by donating to his PayPal Account at:

paypal: jacksfund40@yahoo.co.uk

Edited by Frenchieboy