strange but true - volcanic ash closes airports

Ozzy Fudd

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Practically anything airborne can pass through an aircraft engine, except volcanic ash. It destroys engines with fatal consequences.

They first found out about it becuase a passenger plane flew through a huge cloud and some of the survivors from that crash saw sparks coming off the wings where the ash was slicing the plane to shreds... :good: Apparently, just before the plane crashed, the whole plane was glowing orange from the friction from the ash!

Edited by harfordwmj

Practically anything airborne can pass through an aircraft engine, except volcanic ash. It destroys engines with fatal consequences.

When I did my multi engine course we were lectured on what not to fly through:

1. Ash

2. Hail

3. Snow

4. Birds !

Hail and snow is fine as long as the engine doesn't ingest large quantities if it does the engine will surge, if you dont reduce power and clear the blockage it will flame out (pressures build up....destroys the blades).

Engines are "bird" rated but its very rare they will continue to function afterwords!

Commercial jet engines have to pass a test which checks that an engine can survive after flying through a flock of birds. I think it was introduced after that concorde crash.

Basically, even if a blade breaks off the engine, it'll not smash to bits and the other engine can power it to the nearest airport.

just a quick heads up, if anyone has flights cancelled your travel insurance company may try to get out of paying... make sure you check the policy wording, it should have a list of exclusions, if volcanic activity isnt listed in there then you can argue it... :good:

Great all UK airspace is now closed, I was supposed to be flying down to Redhill this morning, now sitting in my office twiddling my thumbs :good:

harfordwmj: yes all turbine engines are bird strike tested, but thats lab conditions which never replicates 'real world', I haven't come across an engine thats been hit and not been shut down, all the test does is make sure the engine doesnt make metal which is obviously a bad thing!

Im stuck in Prague on work and was due to fly tonight! cant get home till Saturday as tomorrows flight is full, that said, it might not go!

But I can think of worse places to be

Adam

Must be a stag do you ccan tag along with!!! :good:

Oi Iceland we said send Cash !!!!!!!

Lol nice one :good:

I saw the air crash investigation a couple of months ago very good!

Looks like most of europe is going to be without clean airspace.... If you need to get to Chennai your best bet may be hope the wind changes fast! if it gets worse I can see no flights getting out of western europe train to paris then which ever aiport is open!

Clear skys here no sign of dust cloud and can't spot it on met office sat images either

Now saying until further notice and not before 07:00 tomorrow.

Really need to be in Chennai Monday morning, 22:00 flight tomorrow is looking at risk. May be driving to France on Saturday morning to take an alternative airline and route...

I think you're technically knackered, the recent update suggests very unlikely to be lifted tomorrow at 7 and it looks like Paris airports are closing as well as most of Europe. Even once they do open its going to be one hell of a mess timetable wise

this is quite cool and is a webcam of the erruption, still looks like its pumping plenty out so could be a while before they re open

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/

Edited by al4x

Dumb or what :cry1:

article-1266191-09254CCC000005DC-519_634x569.jpg

This pic is of three blokes stranded when their flight to Egypt was cancelled due to the volcano.

The T shirts are intriguing :good:

"Well we didn't come to Egypt to loose" :good:

Loose? Loose? Do they mean "lose"?

If you're going to get a ******* T shirt printed, they could at least get the spelling right :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Chard

I think you're technically knackered, the recent update suggests very unlikely to be lifted tomorrow at 7 and it looks like Paris airports are closing as well as most of Europe. Even once they do open its going to be one hell of a mess timetable wise

this is quite cool and is a webcam of the erruption, still looks like its pumping plenty out so could be a while before they re open

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/

You may well be right but a colleague is (supposed to be) flying from Nice on Sunday via Dubai on Emirates; to coin a phrase from a chewits advert "it's a long short but it might just work"...

MC - I was just thinking the same thing :good: One error is forgiven but two like that ...