Disco inferno

Imperfection

Yesterday afternoon while casually driving home along the A421 from Bedford i could smell smoke then noticed flames between my legs!

I pulled over on verge,switched the roof beacons and hazzard warning lights on,grabbed TomTom plus all of my stuff,dialled 999 then sat up on the embankment and watched the van blazing.Fire brigade turned up then closed the road because the van is LPG plus it also had around 60 litres of unleaded petrol in its tank too and was at risk of exploding.It was an electrical fault which caused it and started somewhere between the seats.

So i appologise to the hundreds of people who were caught up in this because the traffic stretched right back to the M1 which is probably about 10-12 miles away!

Black smoke...

Picture195Custom-2.jpg

Orange flames...

Picture196Custom-3.jpg

Lots of orange flames...

Picture197Custom.jpg

The aftermath...

Picture200Custom-1.jpg

Picture201Custom.jpg

The interior

Picture205Custom.jpg

thats a bit errr ###..

is it yours or a company vehicle?

At 59 plate do you reckon manufacturer error?

Its only done just over 10,000 miles and was fitted with the LPG kit from new so until it gets investigated-not sure what caused it.I know that when i dived back into the van to retrieve my house keys from glovebox the fire seemed to be originating from between the seats on the floor,but not got a clue whats electrical down there? Its a company vehicle by the way so no loss to myself fortunately. :good:

heres a better song :good:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

:lol: :lol:

glad you got out in one piece :yes:

any news on the cause yet?

Its being investigated by Citroen as the van is new,but im convinced it was caused by the split charging system which was a retro fit.The van has an auxillary battery behind drivers seat and next to this is an electronic box thingy (i have no idea what it does) with power cables comming from the 2nd battery.This is where i saw the majority of the flames comming from when i dived back into the van to retrieve my keys from glovebox.

Best bit is the replacement van they gave me is identical... :lol:

Did they supply you with asbestos lined shreddies to go with that new van? :lol:

Must admit that few days ago while driving i could smell smoke and immedietly looked between my legs.It was a bonfire on an allotment in this case fortunately!

Havn't you been told about smoking whilst driving before?!

One of the firemen asked me if i'd dropped a ciggie,but i dont smoke.