S. Nutbeam and C. Bloxham -- coaching styles ?

FlorianO

Hello all,

I would like to hear from those that had the chance to take lessons with both of these two (apparently excellent) coaches. What I am interested in is differences in coaching styles, approaches, preferences / inclinations -- things of this sort.

If you don't want to make this public, use PM instead.

The reason for my question is that I'm trying to figure out which one of them will be a better match for my own preferences / style (if it matters to begin with...:good:)

Thanks in advance for all help and advice.

if i had to pick one out of the two it would be steve. he has coached and brought on some of the best shooters in this country, if not the world. :good::good:

a great guy and exellent coach who would teach you any style you want to learn. definately in the top 3 in this country. :good::P

if i had to pick one out of the two it would be steve. he has coached and brought on some of the best shooters in this country, if not the world. :( :yes:

a great guy and exellent coach who would teach you any style you want to learn. definately in the top 3 in this country. :yes:;)

WoW, there's quite an endorsement, especially coming from someone well-regarded as a coach himself.

Ok, ok... I pull my nose out ???

Thanks for the tip,

Florian

I will beat any quote that S. Nutbeam or C. Bloxham give you and you will be a better shot afterwards :good:

Disclaimer: You will probably not be a better shot after a lesson with Paulos, in fact you will probably become considerably worse...

I will beat any quote that S. Nutbeam or C. Bloxham give you and you will be a better shot afterwards

a bit modest aren't we..... :yay:

The missus and I have a day booked with Carl - you know his prices - if you have the same proven experience let me know your price - on the basis of, if you dont cut it we dont pay. :stupid:

We had a couple of sessions with Carl last year, his shooting ground may be a bit scruffy and I think he is slightly eccentric in some ways, but his experience, coaching knowledge and teaching approach is second to none. :P

Edited by covlocks

both are very good at what they do and without a doubt if you put the effort in you will get results.

I have not had a lesson from Carl but have had a few from Steve.

whats your shooting style? deliberate or attacking? generally gun up or gun down?

Hi,

Have had coaching with both Steve and Carl, both lovely gents with an easy manner.

Personally, I preferred Steve. (Nothing against Carl, just a preference!) Have always gone with a small group of 2/3. Steve watches you shoot a range of targets, before giving individual coaching to suit your style and needs - no dogmatic preaching of one system but a number of options.

Have found that a small group makes for a relaxed day and builds in a natural break to let it all sink in. It really doesn't matter as to the abilities within the group, have been with a complete novice and AA shooter and everyone got what they wanted from the lesson.

Hope that assists,

S

Had a day with Carl on the 14th of this month - absolutley brilliant, fabulous coach and have added 20% to my previous best since. Really easy to talk to, no pressure at all and if you have any issues, he encourages you to call or email him - I was on the phone to him last night for over half an hour.

Can't recommend him enough :lol:

Never had a lesson in my life with a proper coach, how much do these guys charge per hour?

Paulos, that was brilliant, had me in stitches :lol::oops::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You've got an excellent one on your doorstep, give Berretta a pm and ask what he charges. I'm sure he won't nail your hat on and will definatly improve your scores from Auntie. :yes::yes::lol:

You've got an excellent one on your doorstep, give Berretta a pm and ask what he charges. I'm sure he won't nail your hat on and will definatly improve your scores from Auntie. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm shooting with Brian next month, I'm hoping for some hmmmmmm free advice on the day :lol:

He's in my team at a charity shoot (secret weapon) and I'm hoping he'll take high gun and beat all my friends (who didn't invite me to join their team, the **** :lol: )

• 4 weeks later...
My advice would be to book a lesson or two with both, they are both first class Coaches who have a lot to offer.

Cat.

Well, call me old-fashioned (or even an idiot), but I wanted to find a good (or, in this case, extremely good) coach and then stick with him for some time... You know, coach in the traditional sense?

(The fact that I'm shooting like an idiot negates the need of any "continuity" in my instruction is a whole different matter :hmm:)

:sly: Both great coaches, can`t really decide on which one.

Carl is maybe a little more laid back though. <_<

Well, in that case Carl must be coaching by laying in a sun chair with a beer on his hand :o 'cause I had a lesson with Steve and I never ever met a more relaxed, easy-to-talk to, down to earth bloke on a shooting ground.

The ease with which he made me hit targets I would normally just shake my head at was just amazing -- the expression on my face "How the !"#¤!% did I hit that ?" and his response, with a smiling nod "well, just do it again exactly in the same way" was nothing short of a comedy.

All in all Steve was the best instructor I ever met, period. I will definitively go back there (yes, I already booked the next lesson with him)

Thanks all,

Florian

Edited by FlorianO

Well, call me old-fashioned (or even an idiot), but I wanted to find a good (or, in this case, extremely good) coach and then stick with him for some time... You know, coach in the traditional sense?

I think you need to calm down. <_<

This was good advice. Different people respond differently to coaches. There's nothing wrong with trying both to see which personality suits you.

I don't think it called for a load of old sarky gobbing off

I have allways thought Nutbeam a little bit aloof in his way,, about 6 years ago at Shugbororough

he was telling waiting shooters how he could shoot a simo pair in reverse order to everyone else

cos he could. "Chortle" :sly: Ha Ha, he dropped 1, I went on and staighted it!!

He of course finished with a much better score tha me: <_<

I think he has dropped down? I believe to A class now? Carl knows what he is doing. without making

you feel second class. :hmm:

Edited by jko

I think you need to calm down. <_<

This was good advice. Different people respond differently to coaches. There's nothing wrong with trying both to see which personality suits you.

I don't think it called for a load of old sarky gobbing off

Chard,

I sincerely appologize if this came out the wrong way (english is not my native language) but it wasn't my intention -- in any way,shape or form -- to be sarcastic or put down anybody.

Again, I'm terribly sorry if it came out that way and but instead want to thank everyone for their advice and oppinions.

I was not offended at all. The problem with these sites is it`s really difficult to get your point across without being face to face. Even the smilies are not enough at times.

You have been to our Steve and loved it, so stick with him. :angry: