S. Nutbeam and C. Bloxham -- coaching styles ?

FlorianO

you have already changed your style of shooting and if you dont learn anything ill give you your money back. :angry::good::good::lol:

just get a proper bag :good::oops: :yp: :lol:

Chard, take a full days lesson then swear blind you didn't learn anything ;):lol: :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Had day with Carl on Friday. As usual his tips and tuition were top notch - really enjoyed myself ... and of course where else do you get a days coaching and 500 clays for £200? :blink: :good::good:

Yes his facility needs a good sort out - but put that aside, he sets out all the variation in traps that you can think of, and he knows what he talking about. Had me hitting some really good overheads and loopers that I have always had a problem with.

10 out of 10 for Carl :good::welcomeani::welcomeani:

No disrespect covlocks, but I would not like to shoot 500 clays in a day

Surely you need to look at your cartidges or gun fit then. Its supprising how quick you rip though them if you are practicing difficult shots. I actually went through more than that in cartidges, 2 slabs and a whole bunch of loose ones in my cartridge bag. and that has to have been nearly 100.

If I go to Kibworth and sit on just one stand practicing I will go though 100 in an hour easily, and thats with the claymate slowing me down. Its just the price that puts the anchors on when I go there, 25 pence a clay mounts up really quick.

As Gordon says my gun fits me very well and I only shoot 24gm shells but 500 is well over the top for an old geezer like me.

Plus I think that if you cannot find a shooters errors or difficulty in reading a clay after just a few shots, which you can, I think that I would try some one else.

I've had 3 all day lessons with Carl - and learnt loads in each session (have been shooting for about 2 years), the 1st two lessons were 1 to 1 and yes shot 500 24Gr carts both times - and the last lesson I shared with a mate and we shot 350 each.

Choice of cart makes a real difference - even with the same load. 24Gr 7.5 Lyalvale Express HVs give me a bruise easily and yet 24Gr 7.5 Eley Blues/VIPs don't - even after 500. It is fair to say that at the 500 point you have had enough anyway and boredoom is in danger of setting in...

Edited by Cosmicblue

Plus I think that if you cannot find a shooters errors or difficulty in reading a clay after just a few shots, which you can, I think that I would try some one else.

Great theory, but its not about finding the error, that was obvious, but because certain shots presented a difficulty for me, I work at those until it becomes second nature to hit them rather than just hitting them a couple of times and thinking the problem is cured.

Thats the problem with a 1/2 or 1 hour coaching session, you have a problem, the coach identifies it, you hit 2 or 4 straight off, then move on because you think you have cracked it.

Next time you go out you make exactly the same mistakes again because you have forgotten the fix or have not memorised the sight picture. If you have a problem with certain targets, loopers or whatever, you keep working at it so the picture is firmly engraved in your head and you hit them consistently with the occasional miss, not miss them regularly with the occasional lucky hit.

If I took that amount of coaching, I think I would be straighting everything. :hmm::hmm::rolleyes:

You cannot get a picture in your head for every clay thrown. DTL, Skeet etc, but not for Sporting. It's technique, mental picture, experience, watching the clays properly and a whole lot more.

It's simplistic to write things off as gun fit or lack of a mental picture.

Edited by Gordon R

I agree with what others already have mentioned -- there's an upper limit on how many cartridges one can (usefully) shoot in a day disregarding how well the gun fits and what type of cartridges one shoots.

In my case my sheer ability to _intently_focus_ on targets start going downhill after exceeding 300 cartridges or so in a single day (i.e. with only short breaks). Is not that I cannot shoot after that, it's just that the benefit of "just plugging away" at targets starts decreasing steadily after that. It can be quite noticeable (and frustrating) but when that starts to happen I know I need to put the gun down.

And "getting a target" doesn't need to take 50 shells. If I get it, I get it after a few shots -- maybe a dozen. If I don't, I don't and I either do something different, get help (usually both...) -- or move on.

But again, that's just me...