How can you transport shotguns

mpk

Hi all just thought i would pick all your brains. I have just been chatting to my old man discussing how you can travel with shotguns . We got on to the point that not every shooter has a car so how do they all manage . Obviously you can carry them on motorbikes but we were wondering if you could carry them (in slips) on a pushbike , public transport ( buses,taxis and boats ) or just walking down the road. I would have phoned my fao but they are closed. Cant beat pw knowledge :good:

Cheers guys ;)

break the gun down like the other guys said put it in a sports bag or as long as its in a slip i'd say it fine padlock it shut if you can shows responsibility on your part :mad::oops:

Try an unmarked, flat, rectangular, break down case - looks somewhat like an electric guitar case then :oops::oops:

Its perfectly legal to carry a gun in a slip but is it wise? One of the members of our club who travels to the club on a motorcycle uses a guitar case to deflect attention.

I like the idea of a guitar case very smart . I always put mine in my car but just wondered about the legallities :oops:

With out the best way is not to draw any attention at all. Break it down and carry it in a sports bag. I picked my gun up in Newcastle, walked into all sorts of public places including a bank. Travelled on the metro etc and no one batted an eyelid. Perfectly legal and safe.

With out the best way is not to draw any attention at all. Break it down and carry it in a sports bag. I picked my gun up in Newcastle, walked into all sorts of public places including a bank. Travelled on the metro etc and no one batted an eyelid. Perfectly legal and safe.

Haha, classic. I am sure you had a good reason for taking it into the bank. :oops:

This is daft... It's legal to transport in a gun slip, and if Joe Public doesn't like it, ******** to him quite frankly.

Yes but Joe Public is liable to phone the police and say there's a man with a gun in the high street. The rest can be left to the imagination. Armed response units? helicopters? Crazy but true. And after all that the police will have to charge you with something just as a face saver. Public Order offence or something. They shot that bloke with a chair leg in his bag a few years back so don't believe it couldn't happen.

Much better to go un- noticed.

Does it not annoy anyone else? This prevailing attitude that shooters must hide the fact that they're shooters from 'normal' people? That really gets on my nerves!

It is legal to carry any firearm fully assembled in public so long as it is unloaded and in the case of a rifle, in a slip. There are finer points (not 100% that the rifle has to be in a slip) as well.

I drive almost everywhere when it comes to shooting, but if I need to be in public with a firearm, e.g I have just bought it or perhaps going to shoot I don't normally visit, then it'll be in a slip, that's it.

If the fact that I have a gun annoys someone, they can go sing. If they feel like trying to steal it, well I'm not a small bloke, and I'M the one with the gun...

Basically I will not kowtow to people who are anti-shooting if I am doing nothing illegal. It surprises me so many do, and saddens me too. Why do we accept our sport being behind closed doors? Why do we accept gun shops that remind me of old sex shops? I believe it's our duty to put shooting back as an everyday thing - people should be used to seeing guns where appropriate - they are no threat in the hands of the responsible!

"I drive almost everywhere when it comes to shooting, but if I need to be in public with a firearm, e.g I have just bought it or perhaps going to shoot I don't normally visit, then it'll be in a slip, that's it.

If the fact that I have a gun annoys someone, they can go sing. If they feel like trying to steal it, well I'm not a small bloke, and I'M the one with the gun..."

:oops::oops::mad::mad::yes::hmm: :yp: :( :P:P

without sounding patronizing or starting an arguement logic,

but i was under the impresion that a gun should be slipped in a car regaurdless of where you are . im not a 100% on this but as previously mentioned , its a dangerous game to play in this day and age .

the 2nd line of the quote is i hope a outburst from a annoyed shooter on a forum,

nobody is telling you what to do , but an easy life is a far better way of enjoying our sport me thinks.

:oops:

adi

guys i have been buses with my shotgun in its gun cover and have had to walk more than 12 miles to go fowling when i did not have a car i did get funny looks and got pulled up by the police a few times but as long as you have your licence with you if needed and you are going to shooting or a gun shop etc you allowed to, puting a gun in a guitar case is fine as long as its stll in side a gun cover, ps no magazine is allowed loaded even if its in your pocket bag etc,

Basically I will not kowtow to people who are anti-shooting if I am doing nothing illegal. It surprises me so many do, and saddens me too. Why do we accept our sport being behind closed doors? Why do we accept gun shops that remind me of old sex shops? I believe it's our duty to put shooting back as an everyday thing - people should be used to seeing guns where appropriate - they are no threat in the hands of the responsible!

Amen brother. In fact I am going as far as to talk about shooting to my work colleagues and to anybody i come in contact with. I even want to get a cap from my local work place and raise some money from my next practical shotgun competition and give it to charity and get it published in the company newsletter. I am all about promoting shooting sports and screw the antis and anyone who is going to get in my way.

Mr Logic

You Sir deserve a gold star for post and an upgrade from Mr Logic to Sir Ligic.

I am amassed by some posters misguided acceptance of the politically correct nonsense banded around regarding firearms law and what is acceptable conduct whilst engaging in our sport.

Because of the perceived need to skulk around and hide from the general public many seem to rewrite the law in their own minds and quote their dream-ed up laws as fact thus encouraging those employed in firearms licensing to adopt them.

I am fortunate to live in a very rural area where shooting is accepted as a vital part of the economy. On any day of the year one will meet people walking down the road with a shotgun over their arm or perhaps a rifle over their shoulder. It is not unusual to see people having lunch in the pub with a shotgun (in a slip) propped up against the table beside them. All perfectly legal.

Whilst I would think it more than foolish to brandish a shotgun in Oxford Street as long as you are going about your legal business there is nothing unlawful in doing so. Use common sense and if needs must perhaps use a breakdown slip but for goodness sake don't feel the need to skulk around feeling that you are doing something unlawful or underhand.

Charlie and Kent - thanks both, good to see some reason from some quarters!

Firearms Act 1968:

Carrying firearm in a public place

A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

(a)a loaded shot gun,

(b)an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

©any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

(d)an imitation firearm.

Amusingly enough, the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 makes no improvement on this gaping hole.

Therefore, providing I have a good reason (and in a city centre, that's going to be I've just bought it or I'm just selling it) I can carry my firearm without a slip so long as it is unloaded. And if the police are summoned, they have every right to direct me to put it on the ground while they check out my good reason and paperwork (which again I don't have to have with me). They DON'T have every reason to charge me with anything as I have not committed an offence. I would inform them of this at the time, and if they proceeded to try to charge me, then I would sue them in a big way.

However, more logically, let's keep our firearms in gun slips! We are then already going above and beyond the call of law. What I WILL NOT do, is try to hide the fact that I shoot. I'm proud of it, and I will say so to anyone that asks about it. People I know tell others that they don't shoot live targets, even though they do. I am also proud of that - I will happily duel with the vegetarians and the antis - it is my duty as a proud shooter to dispel myths and promote the safe use of firearms, and also safe, humane hunting. I will never hide my shooting or my hunting, and if at any stage we are villified to the extent where that's required, I'm emigrating PDQ, as that to me is a symptom of a country where sensible society will have broken down.

Yeah I actually don't shoot live targets only target shooting and people think I am lying when I tell them this. They think I am justifying my "blood sport" by sanitizing it. The truth is I haven't yet killed any animal with my shotgun, would love to go hunting but I don't know any farmers so getting some form of permission would be hard.

When i catch the train to Uni i sometimes take another shotgun down. We have pump action only skeet comps ect :-) Having phoned my train operator they informed me it was in violation to carry a offensive weapon on their trains. But the kind gentleman did follow that up with if the ticket inspector doesn't know what it is then there's no problem :-) I therefore transport my shotguns in a breakdown hard case. I also bought two fender guitar stickers off ebay to put on the side of the case.

Btw do you need to carry your license on you when transporting shotguns or is it like a drivers license where you have 72hr's to produce it at a police station?

Joe

I'd be more worried about being mugged of my gun than upsetting anyone. Quite easy to smack someone on the back of the head with half a brick and steal the gun......

quite unlikely to happen, but then anyone who gets mugged thinks "it'll never happen to me"

There are a lot of people on this thread that keep going on about breaking the gun down when transporting...

I have 4 rifles and none of them break down so that out the window if you like......i also have 4 shotguns that do break down but as the saying goes

it will be a cold day in hell before i will do this just so i do not offend anyone as long as i am doing nothing illegal ******** to them all.. :good:??? ???

Edited by hawkeye