pigeon prices

miapia221

Hi Shippy, I took them to a game dealer I was told about but it was a 100 mile round trip

Cheers guess I need to have a look around here.

Does anyone out there know of a dealer around West Suffolk? Also can we sell direct to hotels etc?

Personally I either use them myself or give them away to friends or neighbours. For the quantities I shoot it would not be worth travelling to a game dealer. :big_boss:

Ironically there are two farm shops on the shoot go on, one owned by a poultry farmer and one by a deer farmer. Both have freezers and contacts in the game trade, but neither will take pigeons or shot rabbits. I have been trying to educate them along the lines of putting up permanent hides using fence posts and chicken wire and buying the pigeons off us in order to give shooters more incentive to shoot over their crops, but it is like peeing in the wind :P

Hi Shippy, I took them to a game dealer I was told about but it was a 100 mile round trip

Jesus! Hope you took 500!

I'm getting around 25p for a pigeon, depending on where i take them. I don't normally bother until i've got at least 50.

We shoot 7-8000 pigeons over a 20 week period split between Spring and Summer each year.

Our game dealer will collect twice a week when we're busy and pays 35p fresh from our walk in chiller.

I'd guess he takes about 4-5k a year from us, the rest of the birds get taken home by the shooters.

I have meat hygene certificates and my chiller is registered and passed by the local council hygene department.

Cheers,

Mark.

Personally I either use them myself or give them away to friends or neighbours. For the quantities I shoot it would not be worth travelling to a game dealer. :yes:

Ironically there are two farm shops on the shoot go on, one owned by a poultry farmer and one by a deer farmer. Both have freezers and contacts in the game trade, but neither will take pigeons or shot rabbits. I have been trying to educate them along the lines of putting up permanent hides using fence posts and chicken wire and buying the pigeons off us in order to give shooters more incentive to shoot over their crops, but it is like peeing in the wind :hmm:

hi mr poacher i work in a farm shop and shoot rabbits and pigeons and they wont buy mine but thats not because they dont want to its because we cant (health and hygiene reasons) we have to go through registered game dealers

colin

hi mr poacher i work in a farm shop and shoot rabbits and pigeons and they wont buy mine but thats not because they dont want to its because we cant (health and hygiene reasons) we have to go through registered game dealers

colin

Yes you need a health and hygiene cert to deal with any game now that you wish to sell to the genral public ,cant rember how much mine cost had a few hours course 2 years ago now :yes: