wanted (hacksaw blade)

mel b3

hi guys , has anyone got an old mechanical hacksaw blade knocking about,they're about an inch wide and 2 feet long , i need one for a little project i'm trying out,if anyone has got one can you pm me your address and i'll send the postage, cheers fellas.

BUY A NEW ONE :rolleyes: cough...splutter :oops: .... :P . i hadn't thought of a steel merchants, i know i could buy one from an iron mongers but i only wanted one to try my hand at making knives and a new one would probably cost more than a knife :o

Mel

I didn't know that you were from Yorkshire.... :oops::P :o They really have to learn to sew those pockets shollower...... :rolleyes:

that's the trouble i'm not one of those rich yorkshire bu66ers , i can't afford a cloth cap or a whippet :D

ronttuk, i know they can be a bit brittle but i just fancied having a go at making a couple after reading an article in an old shooting mag,it's just something to pass the winter nights away ,i was making priests but i had to stop before i put wabbitbosher out of business and he sued the pants off me :lol:

Yes definitely, ouch comes to mind. I used to make a small knife out of old hacksaw blades but only used it for wire stripping. I once saw one of those larger saw blades go and it almost exploded. Parts of the blade were found the other side of the workshop! :rolleyes:

oh well that's another idea out of the window, i'll never be a millionaire at this rate B) ,i've got to find something to do on the long winter nights,if i sit here doing nothing the wife will want me to talk to her and she'll realise we have nothing whatsoever in common and leave me for somebody normal, it's not funny :( .

i thought about fly tying but as i'm not a fly fisherman i thought it might be a bit pointless really B)

i thought about fly tying but as i'm not a fly fisherman i thought it might be a bit pointless really B)

I tie my own (fishing) flies and I can tell you, you will never make any money doing it, even if you got good and quick. The Indians have the cheap end of the market sown up, and at the high end people expect the very best for not much more money. B)

Mel make your knives anyway! U can temper them so they become less brittle.

. Temper the blade to get the desired hardness: in a kitchen oven at 400 deg F for about 20 minutes. The goal is Rockwell C-62.

Warning: If you put the knife blade in your wife's oven without thoroughly washing the 30 weight motor oil off you will be in BIG trouble.

Many books give a slightly different recipe for tempering carbon steel. The procedure they follow to temper a quenched and hardened blade is:

1. Polish the hardened blade with emery cloth so you see shiny metal.

2. Heat the blade slowly until you see a colored oxide form on the surface of the blade. When the color is just right plunge the blade into water. (light straw color for a knife to deep blue for a screw driver.) That's the way it was done by the village blacksmith. Welcome to the 20'th century. I don't think oxide colors are as accurate as a thermostatically controlled kitchen oven.

Theres two simple ways to temper a blade from this site : Knife building

Ive made a few, il try to get a few pics up of them sometime soon!

Ozo

I have also made a knife from a hacksaw blade. They keep and incredibly sharp edge and I made a filleting knife shaped one with a hardwood handle.

It had to be sharpened on an oilstone as the steel is so hard.

Unfortunately it was knocked of the edge off a charter boat off the isle of wight and was never seen again.

Good luck with yours

Cheers

Martin

havin probs with camera software, so no pics atm, was just thinking it would probably be handier for you to make the knife from a piece of steel from an old leaf spring of a car/trailer etc., this means you wouldnt have to temper it. I know that alot of the Khurki's made in india are beaten out from old lorry leaf springs.

regards Ozo

Hi Mell. You can use old power saw blades for lots of things,we used to make machines for cutting aircraft tires in one inch stips. You can get a hundred foot length or more, we used them for binding the bottem of lobster pots. We started off using stanly blades but they werent big enough for the larger tires so we made our own from power hacksaw bades. we also made knives with thm and they worked well, also make exellent scrapers. I will ask my mate tommorow if he has any old ones, and if so will get back to you. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Mel

I didn't know that you were from Yorkshire.... :good::lol::good: They really have to learn to sew those pockets shollower...... :yes:

My brother use to be a mill wright, and he use to bring the broken blades home for me. If you know someone in that trade you may have your answer... :D

Dear Moderator.

I am a Yorkshiremen born and bred so whats the problem?