Guys, we need advice

Stretch

Right then, today me and my buddy have been out today and have finally come to the conclusion that we are both ******* useless. We are both doing something serious wrong cus we can't hit anything, at one point i swear the pigeon were laughing at us and playing chicken with us seeing how close they could get without being shot. I've had a new gun and shot with it a couple of times with no really results so put extensions and shims on it to suit me better, also changed the choke to "improved modified", the next time i had 8 birds with 10 shots which was my personal best. Since then i've hardly hit anything, today i hit 2 in 2 shots then missed about 25 birds which is laughable and i was getting frustrated. My mate firing about 30 shots with not 1 bird.

What the hell are we doing wrong? It can only be to do with the lead we are giving, either not enough or too much. Can anyone give us some advice? What kind of lead should we be giving on them and what kind of distance should we shoot them at??

today i hit 2 in 2 shots then missed about 25 birds which is laughable and i was getting frustrated.

That can often be the problem, miss a few and then you start to hurry your shots, or wait too long, try too hard, etc.

If you have shot well with your gun in its present configuration, then (if nothing changes) you should continue to hit them.

When decoying you can put a couple of marker sticks about 40 yards from the hide and only shoot birds inside that mark.

Judging range is not as easy as it seems, but it does come with experience.

The old favourite suggestion also applies, try a few rounds of sporting, that will help your swing and lead judgement.

Also, find a mate who can shoot a bit, it sounds as though yours is holding you back. :yes:

good idea about the marker points cranfield, will do that next time. Was saying to my mate today that we need to get on the clays to get a bit of practice in.

Thanks for the link martin, was very useful. One guy said on there to not worry about lead at this point and concentrate on following the bird, pulling the trigger and following through. I think i need to just chill out abit and take my time.

Hi dont try clay shooting they are nothing like the real thing your best bett is to ask your local gun shop for some tracer cartridges they have a large ball that glows bright when shot it works in daylight and it allows you to see how far behind or in front off the bird you are shooting hope this helps

Hi dont try clay shooting they are nothing like the real thing your best bett is to ask your local gun shop for some tracer cartridges they have a large ball that glows bright when shot it works in daylight and it allows you to see how far behind or in front off the bird you are shooting hope this helps

Never new they done such things, they wil be just the job. Nice 1!!! :-)

Forget tracers, the tracer is usually in the wad, (or it will be with the shot but is lighter and will lag behind) which is several feet behind the shot pattern. Spend the money saved from not buying expensive tracers and have a lesson on some clays :good:

edit to add £26.00 + a box of 25, you'll get so much more out of a lesson

Edited by Paul223

Practice lots on clays.

If you have a mate with you, try to get onto a compact sporting layout with half a dozen different targets, and launch randomly for each other, giving a similar "Element of surprise" you might get when shooting live quarry.

Also, stand gun unmounted until you physically see the clay. Try to emulate what you do when out on the pigeons.

I'm usually pouring a coffee or eating a sarnie when one flies over! :good:

:good::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Pattern plate to start with to see where the gun shoots could be going high or low. Next on the clay range and practise and or get a lesson if you can afford it. My mate ' set up ' his gun without pattern plate and missed everything! Would you zero a rifle without a target? Changes to the stock and mount is like adjusting a rifle sights!

Go get some lessons from a recognised and competent coach. Until you learn how to read your birds/shots you'll never be able to correct yourself and will spend forever just being a lousy shot. Lessons should not only get you hitting more but also train you to read the situation and respond accordingly. Money very well spent. You spend a lot on the kit so it'd be a shame not to get the most from it! :good:

Hi,

This is easier said than done with pigeon and is why having a go with the predictable flight of clays can help. Many people when missing still keep doing the same thing with the obvious result. By the sound of it, you have no problem bringing the birds in which makes life easier. If you get into the missing mode, for the next similar bird, shoot at it keeping it nicely on top of the barrels. You can now only miss behind. Keep the "sight picture" filed in your mind and for each following shot shoot a bit further in front until you get it right. Eventually, you'll build up a collection of these sight pictures through practice and experience.

Two points; no one can tell you how far to shoot in front. If someone says 4ft, they may well be right from their point of view and you will be right when you do so. The problem is, that your and their interpretation of that distance is never the same. Secondly, money spent on a good qualified coach is never wasted.

Good luck,

Cheers

I suspect you're lifting your head off the stock when you shoot, in which case you will shoot over the top of the bird.

You will no doubt do the same when you shoot at clays.... "Cos you want to see the clay break :good: "

It's easily rectified, go and get some lessons at a clay ground, enjoy and keep a stout heart, before long you'll wonder what all the fuss was about :lol:

There's some really good points on here for me to think about and practice. I've been to have a fews rounds on the skeets today and think i may of identified a problem in which i am possibly missing above. From this one angle i could not hit the clay at all, i just stayed on that peg and fired at clay after clay to try to correct myself, by the end i was getting everyone i had trouble with. I shall go again friday and see how i get on.

When i'm shooting at the pigeons i think i generally have the bead at the end of the barrel directly in front of and level with the bird. As Wymberley said, "keep the bird nicely on top of the barrel". Also, as Hyflier stated, "lifting your head off the stock when you shoot" is something i may be a bit guilty of doing.

I will give it a few more times on the clays and see how i improve before paying out on lessons. I'm hoping once i relax my mind the rest will follow.

Ignore the bead on the end of the barrel.

A shotgun is a pointing thing, not an aiming thing. If I asked you to point at and follow a moving object, like a clay, with your arm you would point and instinctively be on target. Think of the shotgun as an extension of your arm. Watch the target and NOT the bead at the end of the barrel, keep the gun moving through the point of firing and watch your score improve :good:

utter bunkum.

tracers if you can get them do not evaluate correct lead. the phosphorus travels faster than the lead shot.

the lead you require to hit any bird or clay is 5% minimum 8% maximum.

this applies to all moving targets crossing incoming or going away.

the secret is to get infront and keep the gun moving after you pull the trigger.

clay shooting can indeed improve your kill rate.

all it needs is practice, and its better to practice on clays than muddle on wounding live birds et,c

let people know where you are and someone will offer you all the help you need

There's some really good points on here for me to think about and practice. I've been to have a fews rounds on the skeets today and think i may of identified a problem in which i am possibly missing above. From this one angle i could not hit the clay at all, i just stayed on that peg and fired at clay after clay to try to correct myself, by the end i was getting everyone i had trouble with. I shall go again friday and see how i get on.

When i'm shooting at the pigeons i think i generally have the bead at the end of the barrel directly in front of and level with the bird. As Wymberley said, "keep the bird nicely on top of the barrel". Also, as Hyflier stated, "lifting your head off the stock when you shoot" is something i may be a bit guilty of doing.

I will give it a few more times on the clays and see how i improve before paying out on lessons. I'm hoping once i relax my mind the rest will follow.

Well done, mate, obviously you're getting there! To go back to the pigeon, as Hyflier correctly said, lifting the head will cause you to miss over the top. Question is, are you sitting when pigeon shooting? If so, unless you lean into the shot (you have no forward foot with your weight on it so you have to compensate; you can easily check this by mounting in front of a mirror), this can also cause the same.

Cheers