pump action shotguns

jcbruno

Good timing is the secret to using a pump correctly,

On pulling the trigger the slide releases and the recoil is used to aid the backward pump very little effort is needed followed by the forward pump,when you pause after the shot it turns into 2 or 3 separate actions.

As said practice is key try with lighter loads first and 5 shots in a second will be achievable.

although i'm not that quick, i got on quite well with my benelli m3, this thing hated light loads so i had to resort to the pump, awkward at first, but soon got the hang of it, very smooth, positive action.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was 2 blokes with pumps on wednesday at Rodbaston college shooting and the one was shooting very well and also cycling very quick and naturally ! One of the days I would love to have a go with one and see how I get on with it to save buying one and not liking it !

Also am i right in saying if you fire your first shot and keep the trigger held then you can just rack the action to fire the next shot ? ( hope i explained that right)

One other thing I'll add about the Pump action is safety.

Picture this:

At a clay ground a novice who's never fired a shot in his life has a loaded shotgun with two cartridges ready to go.. He fires the first shot and breaks the first clay.

He turns around in excitement and swings the gun round with his finger still on the trigger.

Now with a Sbs, O/U or a Semi Auto.. this is an accident waiting to happen.. even if he drops the shotgun, the people behind the barrels are at extreme risk of an accidental discharge.

However this can't ever happen with a pump :good:

'Tis a very good point, chap :angry:

There was 2 blokes with pumps on wednesday at Rodbaston college shooting and the one was shooting very well and also cycling very quick and naturally ! One of the days I would love to have a go with one and see how I get on with it to save buying one and not liking it !

Also am i right in saying if you fire your first shot and keep the trigger held then you can just rack the action to fire the next shot ? ( hope i explained that right)

Theres no need to keep the trigger held. Once the trigger has been pulled it releases the slide, allowing it to be pulled back, pushed forward then you are ready to pull the trigger again.

You should have a go, its fun :angry:

For what its worth I use a Benelli Supernova for fowling, pigeons and clays. I use it because it handles reasonably well and I can hit stuff with it. Cycling it is now second nature and I don`t feel at any disadvantage at clays, or anything else, with it. It`s also worth remembering that just about every major U.S.clay shooting competition in any discipline has, at some time, been won by someone using a pump.

I bought the Supernova as much as anything else as a cheap and robust 3.5" gun that I could lend to novice fowlers when a heavy load cartridge was required and if they did`nt have a suitably chambered gun.

The first bloke I lent it to had never even handled a pump before. I explained how it worked and fully expected him to get off just the one shot before he messed up the cycling. Twenty minutes later the only shot of the morning presented itself and he promptly had three canada geese dead in the air.

Whether it was the adrenalin or that he could pat his head and rub his stomach at the same time I don`t know.

I lent the gun to my youngest son who also had never handled a pump unitl 10 minutes before we started shooting at a clay shoot last Sunday. He`s a complete novice at clays and could have shot better but that was down to plain lack of experience. After the first two shots, the thing he did`nt have any trouble with was cycling the action. He was like greased lighting with it and it did seem to help in slowing down the tendency to discharge the second barrel, very quickly, into empty space.

Another forum member had a go with it just to try out some 3.5" steel, they mince clays by the way, and he had no trouble pumping it.

And just when you thought it was easy to use a pump yet another forum member tried it and hated it. I guess they`re a bit like Marmite.

Me, I love `em.

i think my next guns gonna be a pump action, not because i've got any sort of rambo complex though i just fancy ago.

i've owned an o/u, semi and a few single shot baikals in .410 and 12b and my current tool of choice a huspower .410 and liked all of them so next i'm gonna go for a pump and see if i can get a cheap cheap sxs too just because i've never owned either, i've actually shot best with my hatsan semi so far so think i'll look for a hatsan pump when i've got the funds.

on the 'gun snob' argument i think pumps and high capacity guns do have a bit of a stigma about them mainly due to films and ****** on youtube but each to there own at the end of the day. i'm not really sure why you need a ten shot gun to be honest as i cant see a situation where i would ever use one i suppose its only real use it PSG or if used by the forces, i'd stick with a 2+1 or at most a 4+1.

personally even if i could afford to spend £1000 on a gun i doubt i would as i only shoot vermin not clays or game so my gun is a tool and nothing more and is gonna get knocked, scuffed and dirty so as long as it does its job i'll be happy.

if ever i was in a position where i could afford to go clay shooting regularly and warrent getting a dedicated clay gun i would want a nice one so i can see both sides of the argument.

think youre talking about bump firing it, where you keep the trigger depressed and every time you rack it it fires. doesnt work on my mossbergs (i think) but i remember reading in a magazine somewhere about a wild west style/reproduction shotgun (norica?) that its supposed to work with :o

own a Mossberg 600at newhaven , been wondering if i can change the woodwork and slide to synthetic , dont want the folding stock or flashlight holder but fancy something a bit more durable and like the idea of a pistol grip (easier on the knackered right wrist , bust a couple of years ago ) . Heard that some 500 items may fit on a 600 , is this correct ?

100_0034.jpg

mossberg 600at on the right, 500a on the left. 500 and 600 are basically the same gun, just made in a different factory, the synthetic stocks fit both guns :o

only thing ill remind you is that the safety is on the top, very awkward to get to with your thumb on your firing hand if you have a pistol grip fitted, means you have to either mess about and let go of the pistol grip or use the hand you rack the slide with :o

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

owned a few a benelli nova , winchester 1200 , savage pump and now my fav a mossberg 500A multi-choke :o , just love it , especially if blating clays and getting good scores. :o

Where did you get the 500A from? I see 500's about but I prefer the look of the 500A. I think the vented rib of the 500 takes away from the looks of the gun.

Ozzyfud - MidwayUK will have synthetic stock and forends etc for your gun I think. Check out their website or speak to Pete Starley maybe.

Where did you get the 500A from? I see 500's about but I prefer the look of the 500A. I think the vented rib of the 500 takes away from the looks of the gun.

Ozzyfud - MidwayUK will have synthetic stock and forends etc for your gun I think. Check out their website or speak to Pete Starley maybe.

i know mate, that pic is off my two mossys (though i sold the synthetics at the start of the year) midayuk and ebay is where i got them :o :o

Pumps arent my thing.Im not a snob or anything,but cant for the life of me rack the action while shouldering the gun cos i always feel obliged to lower it.I think it must be like that patting head while rubbing stomach thing. :o

It does take some getting used to.

Problem arises if you have a semi auto and a pump action. Switching between the two can be tricky - Pump when you don't have to, or forget to pump!

:o :o