I Think I must have had a dud batch of remingtons, I've had quite a few ricochets and failure for the bullets to expand,(no exit wound on small rabbits at 75 yards :hmm:) out of say a 150 odd bullets I purchased...

They didn't group well either! Do you think this was just bad luck on my part? Last time I checked they were £11 a box so worth another try?

ATB :good:

I Think I must have had a dud batch of remingtons, I've had quite a few ricochets and failure for the bullets to expand,(no exit wound on small rabbits at 75 yards :hmm:) out of say a 150 odd bullets I purchased...

They didn't group well either! Do you think this was just bad luck on my part? Last time I checked they were £11 a box so worth another try?

ATB :good:

Usually when there is no exit wound, it means that the bullet has totally disintegrated and doesn't have enough mass to force it's way right through the animal, the insides are turned to pulp though when this happens. I don't have a .17 but I'm speaking from my experiences with a 22/250 and foxes.

Andy

I Think I must have had a dud batch of remingtons, I've had quite a few ricochets and failure for the bullets to expand,(no exit wound on small rabbits at 75 yards :oops:) out of say a 150 odd bullets I purchased...

ATB :blush:

i had problems with remmys and federal,both the same thing..click..nothing,extracted the case and then found the bullet head was stuck in the rifling,changed to federals and the same thing happened...no primer it seems as the powder was dry and not wet.

i have got the blue tips(at £10 for 50)..shoot okay in my cz.

al

Edited by albob

My CZ 452 Silhouette HMR was a little ammo fussy when new, just a bit, but it likes almost everything now.

The Hornady Red were always its favourite and I was skeptical about the Blue, but I have not found any difference in performance compared to the red. :blush:

i had problems with remmys and federal,both the same thing..click..nothing,extracted the case and then found the bullet head was stuck in the rifling,changed to federals and the same thing happened...no primer it seems as the powder was dry and not wet.

i have got the blue tips(at £10 for 50)..shoot okay in my cz.

al

Funny that :lol: I also had one, lined up the rabbit and 'click'. Thought I had forgotten to chamber a round but then the gun ejected a live round?! And the following 2 shots after that were ricochets! :oops:

The Hornady Red were always its favourite and I was skeptical about the Blue, but I have not found any difference in performance compared to the red. :hmm:

That was my exact thoughts aswell...thought I might be buying more duds :blush: I think I will give them a go.

Do you notice a drop in price between buying 500 and 1000? Everywhere I ask I get told the price is the same? :lol:

Thanks for the input!

:blush: the blues are fine, no change in poa from the remingtons, definitively do less damage than the remmies but if your shooting rabbts that a good thing!! Ive used several hundred of them without a problem.

what you say about the remmies is interesting, i have found them more likley to go straight through most bunnies until you are a decent distance away. and they do occasionally richochet.

That said Raja clavata was using hornadys the other evening and got a richochet. :oops:

Funny that :lol: I also had one, lined up the rabbit and 'click'. Thought I had forgotten to chamber a round but then the gun ejected a live round?! And the following 2 shots after that were ricochets! :oops:

That was my exact thoughts aswell...thought I might be buying more duds :blush: I think I will give them a go.

Do you notice a drop in price between buying 500 and 1000? Everywhere I ask I get told the price is the same? :lol:

Thanks for the input!

Wave money under their nose and push your luck.... :hmm::lol:

£10 a box of 50????

Sportsman Guns down here are asking £16 a box for Hornady V Max red tipped - daylight robbery :good::yes::lol:

The local RFD has caught onto this and now he charges £15 a box - from a previous £12 a box

Les :no:

yep and they still are at that price.

i was told they should be £15,which to me did not add up as,remingtons are only £13.45 a box of 50(federals about the same)..can you smell what i can smell. :)

they are bluetippped for a reason,to show they are they cheaper options..(to me anyway).

al

I tried one box of the blue tipped (£12.99 for 50...what a cheap option :good: ) and they grouped fine and they did a fine job of the rabbits I was hitting <_< I'll just stick with them as I don't see any difference between those and the remingtons.

Btw...£15 for a box of winchesters?! Didn't realise the bullets were made of silver and not just the tip!!

Interestingly on the blue tipped scenario I'm finishing quite an old batch and the tips are definitely an off colour red pretty much looking mixed between red and blue. They work fine and i've some blue tips which having tried a few shoot the same in my gun.

My local gunshop has a few of the blue tips in stock and I was just wondering if they were as accaurate and as explosive as the other hornady red tips? :hmm:

is £100/£110 for 500 an ok price or would you call that steep?

Thanks for looking and all opinions are greatly appreciated!

:hmm:

I just had 500 blue tipped hornady for £111, the last lot I had were blue tips and I did not find no differance to the red tips?.

The colour of the tip, be it red or blue, makes no difference to the power of the buleet. The blue tips were merely used because there was a surplus of them. They were originally used for 17HMR Mach2.

As for 'explosive power' it's the hydrostatic shock that causes the damage to the intended target, even if the bullet tip was pink striped!

"I thought it was the tip compressing on impact causes a build up of air pressure in the hollow of the bullet which causes the thin jacket of the bullet to fragment?"

So Hornady tell me :hmm:

Sounds good :hmm:

Edited by hyflier