BASC calls on shooters to lobby MPs. Press release.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the following response from my MP

Thank you for contacting me about shooting sports.

The recent tragic events in Cumbria have shown why there is a genuine need to regulate the availability of firearms, although any knee-jerk reaction should clearly be avoided. The Home Secretary has indicated that, where there are lessons to be learned, the Government with respond.

I appreciate your concern about shooting sports, which thousands of people participate in without any danger to the public. The Government is, at present, reviewing gun legislation. The overriding priority must be the effective prevention of violent crime involving guns, but Ministers are very aware of the need to avoid unnecessary consequences for the shooting community.

Once again thanks for taking the time to write to me,

Greg Hands MP.

i had a reply from my cumbrian MP Rory Stewart but it had a disclamer at the end saying

DISCLAIMER: The information in this email is confidential. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient(s), any use, disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error please notify us by e-mail and then delete the e-mail and all attachments and any copies thereof.

:angry:

its the same as most of the other emails but i descovered he owns a shot gun.......Oops :no:

I had this reply from my mp Penny Mourdant

Dear Mr *********

Thank you for your correspondence regarding firearms licensing in the wake of the cumbrian shootings ; an act of wanton and motivless violence which it is almost impossible to comprehend. Thank you , too , for your kind offer of a briefing.

You are right that such a monstrous crime should not prompt an unconsidered tightening of the law on licensing, and as such i support the goverment on its decision to wait upon the conclusions of the reviews currently being conducted by the association of chief police officers into the cumbrian incidents and their wider implication for licensing. ACPO is expected to report in the autumn.

It is true that Derek Bird was a licensed gun owner , and without comment on his particular case , access to firearms in a situation where an individual experiences mental collapse is obviously not deirable; but equally it should be realised that if someone is to act in a premeditated fashion then want of a licence will not deter them from their diabolical purpose.

Parliament must be guided by what is in the interest of the responsible citizen and at the same time ensuring his safety. Reconciling these twin objectives is the challenge of firearms licensing ,and im sure that the coming debate will be conducted with that objective in mind .

Yours sincerly

Penny Mourdant

Edited by mpk

I recieved a letter from my MP this morning which included the following:

"I would also like to assure you that I understand and appreciate the importance of safe and legal shooting in South Norfolk. It is a way of life for so many of my constituents and I am keen for this to continue".

I have sent a copy of the letter to the BASC as requested.

I recieved a letter from my MP this morning which included the following:

"I would also like to assure you that I understand and appreciate the importance of safe and legal shooting in South Norfolk. It is a way of life for so many of my constituents and I am keen for this to continue".

I have sent a copy of the letter to the BASC as requested.

DONE

I think we have the same MP

mikee

this is the reply i got yesterday after my email

regards

geoff

From Wikipedia

"Geoffrey Robinson (born 25 May 1938) is a British Labour Party politician who has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Coventry North West since 1976. He was Paymaster General from May 1997 to January 1999, resigning after it was revealed that he had lent his government colleague Peter Mandelson £373,000 to buy a house. From 1996 to 2008 he was the owner of the New Statesman, a left-leaning weekly political magazine."

Resides in one of the safest seats in England. You can't win 'en all, not least staunch left wingers.

Have you sent a copy to BASC Geoff?

• 2 weeks later...

The Home Affairs Committee have announced that they intend to hold an enquiry -

“In the light of the recent tragic shootings in Cumbria and in Northumberland, the Committee wishes to examine the legislation governing firearms.”

“It will seek to determine whether there are lessons to be learnt from recent events, including the role of doctors and criminal justice agencies in liaising with police to assess the risk posed by individuals. We also want to be certain that our gun laws are clear, transparent and enforceable.”

See the What's New Page - news for UK target Shooters and Shooting clubs

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

David BASC, can we have some info on this please ASAP! If we haven't received a notification should we send our submissions again?? I sent mine twice, and by post and have received nothing! :angry:

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/news/497882...s_extended.html

Shooting community crashes Westminster computers as deadline for firearms control submissions is extended.After being “swamped” with evidence from the shooting community, the Home Affairs Select Committee on firearms control is prompted to extend the deadline for submissions.

The Committee on firearms control experienced such a large volume of emails from members of the shooting community, submitting evidence to the current inquiry, that its computers crashed last week.

On the day of the deadline, last Friday 27 August, such was the volume of submissions from shooters seeking to put the case for legitimate shooting sports to MPs on the committee, that the office is still attempting to clear the backlog.

The clerk of the committee, Elizabeth Flood, has asked those who are unsure whether their submission got through to resend them.

She told Shooting Times magazine: “We don’t normally receive so many emails from individuals. We were, for want of a better word, swamped. Unless people received an email notice from us apologising and acknowledging receipt of their submission, they should resend it but please put a note to say you have sent it twice so we avoid duplication.” The clerk confirmed that by the end of July the Committee had already received more than 300 submissions, the most since the 2008 HASC inquiry into domestic violence.

Evidence for the firearms control committee looks set to break that record with hundreds more coming in on the day of the deadline itself.

The average number of submissions to a Select Committee inquiry is about 40.

As a result of the huge volume of emailed evidence, Elizabeth Flood explained that the deadline would be extended: “The 27th was an administrative deadline. People are welcome to submit evidence throughout the inquiry, which will go on into October. It is wise to get it in as early as you can, however. We will collate the evidence as it comes in and present it to MPs who will begin to look at it when they return to Parliament after the party conferences end around October 11.”

BASC’s Simon Clarke said: "The overwhelming level of responses sent in to the Home Affairs Select Committee matches our experience of replies copied to BASC and we believe it is a reflection of the seriousness with which everyone who shoots is treating this inquiry. Given the apparent failure in the email systems used to collect responses, it is right that the Committee will consider evidence sent in after the initial deadline. Anyone who has not yet taken the time to send in a response should do so quickly and a guide to submitting evidence can be found on the BASC website.”

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I managed to get a reply sent off to the home office HOWEVER had issues trying to get anything to a local MP local word is he is anti firearm

but yet to read/hear him say it.

Needless to say if I find he is anti firearms I will never vote for him and talk others in to doing the same.

THE LAW ABIDING HAVE BEEN PUNISHED ENOUGH FOR THING S THEY HAVEN'T DONE NOW PUNISH THEY WHO SHOULD BE.

• 2 weeks later...

Sent mine off some months ago also.

I thought that some of the info within it seemed to be designed to put people off filling in the forms.

Anyway, like most of you I expect you had an email yesterday about the last meeting (15th Nov 2010). Interesting to see that after the morning inquiry had finished they were having a separate meeting in another room with an anti-shooting yank, Washington Attorney-General Peter Nickels.

See this article from Washington post.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-washington-dc/dc-attorney-general-peter-nickels-acts-schizophrenic-on-constitutional-rights

Looks like a plan in the offing to find a back door way to demonstrate to the UK public that some punitive action is being taken against the law-abiding shooter, once again. Watch out!

:hmm:

Probably along the lines of allowing shooting to continue as long as all triggers are removed.

Sent mine off some months ago also.

I thought that some of the info within it seemed to be designed to put people off filling in the forms.

Anyway, like most of you I expect you had an email yesterday about the last meeting (15th Nov 2010). Interesting to see that after the morning inquiry had finished they were having a separate meeting in another room with an anti-shooting yank, Washington Attorney-General Peter Nickels.

See this article from Washington post.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-washington-dc/dc-attorney-general-peter-nickels-acts-schizophrenic-on-constitutional-rights

Looks like a plan in the offing to find a back door way to demonstrate to the UK public that some punitive action is being taken against the law-abiding shooter, once again. Watch out!

:hmm:

Probably along the lines of allowing shooting to continue as long as all triggers are removed.

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=7001

Just moved to another room for VC facilities i think should be live....seems the committee still don't understand the issues and think that the minimum AGE of an cert holder is vitally important even tho there are no instances of licensed under 18 missusing legally held guns. I thought the Head of APCO firearms did a very decent job of being fair

LOL I think getting Peter Nickles, Attorney General for the District of Columbia on the line was a total waste of time as we have gun laws he can only dream of already.

Once again Illegal use of legal guns was very very low, Illegal use of illegal guns high.....I think the Washington DC licensing system is based on ours anyway, with 3 yr renewals and fingerprints being the only real difference. HOwever handguns and CF autos are i think still legal if you bother to register them, which most people dont.

Edited by HDAV

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=7001

Just moved to another room for VC facilities i think should be live....seems the committee still don't understand the issues and think that the minimum AGE of an cert holder is vitally important even tho there are no instances of licensed under 18 missusing legally held guns. I thought the Head of APCO firearms did a very decent job of being fair

LOL I think getting Peter Nickles, Attorney General for the District of Columbia on the line was a total waste of time as we have gun laws he can only dream of already.

Once again Illegal use of legal guns was very very low, Illegal use of illegal guns high.....I think the Washington DC licensing system is based on ours anyway, with 3 yr renewals and fingerprints being the only real difference. HOwever handguns and CF autos are i think still legal if you bother to register them, which most people dont.

Thanks for the update. I suppose they are getting desperate trying to find things to ban/restrict, that they haven't already.

Good to hear about someone being fair too.

:good:

Sorry if the answer to this is already on the thread, but I didn't spot it!

Do we know when the Home Affairs Committee is due to make their report/recommendations public?

I don't think they have released a date but i think they want to debate it in parliament details here: http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/home-affairs-committee/inquiries/firearms-control/

• 1 month later...

There is a link to the whole debate in parliament last night at -

http://psa.bizhosting.com/whats_new.html

There's also the BASC press release, as well as links to both parts of the HASC report.

This is important to the future of our sport, and whilst I know it's three hours long, it;'s well worth listening to it when you have the time - you may be very surprised at who says what !

Edited by Mike2