Range rover p38

A bolt 22.250

Hi all i am thinking about byeing an lpg 4.6 p38 range rover i would only be using it weekends for lesure shooting and holidaying in this country the odd time it might have to go off road on are shoot.

Has anyone on here got one and has any advise on byeing one my buget is about £3000 have owend a disco200tdi before that was quite nice untill the head gasket went on it also have owend a landy 200tdi when i had the farm good off road but id like a bit more comfort for longer jurnies any one has any other suggestions I am open to them.

Thanks in advance.

I can see the appeal and have bben tempted myself before, they are a lot of truck for the money, BUT!

I have had two friens but them this year, both were very tidy very nice trucks, the first one had a clutch go and had to replace the flywheel aswell, the second had the head gasket go.

I think what starts out as a lot of truck for the money can soon turn in to a lot of money for the truck, I do agree, you would probaly be better looking at a TD5 disco or something.

Block porous due to 4.6 litres gives very little metal left .

Be warned this can become a exspense hobbie.

Go for Disco TD5 ES

Cheers OTH

Listen up ! ^^^^^^^^^^^

Also if the electrics have a little cough , and sneeze . You'll wet yourself . Nice idea , but at 3K get 4 disco's with a year's mot on 'em . When one starts to show signs of going Pete tong . Look for your next , buy it and start flogging the bits off the bad un .

all the best yis yp :hmm:

I do two hours a day in my Defender and drive up to Nottingham quite often too. It's a comfortable ride :hmm:

If you want to turn up to a shoot in a Range Rover, then so be it, but I always get the feeling it's a bit pompous seeing an expensive car going across a field (obviously £3000 isn't much for a RR, but I think you know what I mean :hmm: )

I do two hours a day in my Defender and drive up to Nottingham quite often too. It's a comfortable ride :hmm:

If you want to turn up to a shoot in a Range Rover, then so be it, but I always get the feeling it's a bit pompous seeing an expensive car going across a field (obviously £3000 isn't much for a RR, but I think you know what I mean :hmm: )

Oh Dear, you would like me then, mine wasd £48000

For the money you can't go that wrong but you would need to be of the mentality to either do a fair bit of DIY or break it if something major went wrong. The Gas system if it has been fitted for a reasonable mileage could give most headaches, we find our vehicles run for 100K before needing a top end rebuild. Add to that the fact that the systems get temperamental over time then you could well be buying problems. That said if you aren't going to use it much it will be a very comfy powerful motor and i'd actually disagree with Harford they are nice to see on shoots especially if the driver doesn't mind getting them muddy! As for doing lots of miles in a defender I'm sure the novelty will wear off when the tinitus starts :hmm:

Hi all i am thinking about byeing an lpg 4.6 p38 range rover i would only be using it weekends for lesure shooting and holidaying in this country the odd time it might have to go off road on are shoot.

Has anyone on here got one and has any advise on byeing one my buget is about £3000 have owend a disco200tdi before that was quite nice untill the head gasket went on it also have owend a landy 200tdi when i had the farm good off road but id like a bit more comfort for longer jurnies any one has any other suggestions I am open to them.

Thanks in advance.

one of my neighbours is a 4X4 expert he loves them,he says your never more than 100 miles from a repair!!! bullet proof lump but to much fancy stuff on most

TD5 Discovery all the way. Get one with leather and while it won't be as comfortable as the P38, it will be more capable and a whole world cheaper to run.

I love seeing posh/expensive/pompous/chelsea tractor 4x4's off road - no better use for them!

Thanks guys for your help I am still tempted as i have always fanced one but i am going to do a bit of resurch into a disco td5 as i didnt no you could get them for the same price. Having owened a fair amount of vehicals in my time i am awere that the wronge one could be a money pitt, if i were to go for the p38 what would be the main things to look for also when you say electrics are we talking fuel injection or just the gagets!

Thanks guys for your help I am still tempted as i have always fanced one but i am going to do a bit of resurch into a disco td5 as i didnt no you could get them for the same price. Having owened a fair amount of vehicals in my time i am awere that the wronge one could be a money pitt, if i were to go for the p38 what would be the main things to look for also when you say electrics are we talking fuel injection or just the gagets!

I would suggest checking the suspension, if it has had the bags changed,,, great, if not you know you could be the one that ends up doing it.

Thanks in advance.

ive had my 1999 4.6 p38 for nearly 2 years now,93000 mls on it.never had any major problems with it apart from a few faults showing witch can easily be fixed without taking it to the dealer.the 4.0 and 4.6 are no different apart from longer stroke on 4.6.ive never had a problem with overheating.i use mine for work,holidays and shooting,so unless you are doing any serious of roadind it will go just about anywhere.i also had a lpg system fitted last year,it really makes a difference to fuel costs.it costs £53. tofill on gas and i get about 220 miles from it.its still not one of the most economical motors to run.but thats the price you pay for the comfort....you will be very lucky to get a good one with lpg for £3000....early ones up to 98 had more electrical problems

Although there will always be people who've owned a vehicle without any problems occurring, there are also people who've played russian roulette, and lived. It still doesn't make it a very safe thing to do.

Off the top of my head, some of the things to go wrong are... air suspension (airbags, height sensors, pump, solenoid block, ecu), the aircon, liners shifting in the engine, the rear wheel bearings (then not being able to get the hub nut off, and it costing £1k in total), etc.....

Putting my opinions aside, ask yourself this.... why can you buy an attractive, high specced, luxury vehicle for £2-3K? (the answer is, because it's a financial time bomb).

I've had a P38, 4.6 for around 4 years.

The cruise control has not worked since the day I got the car; we've tried all of the obvious fixes but didn't fancy tackling the swithches on the steering wheel due the air bag.

My son converted the car to LPG within days of purchase, and its performed faultlessly since.

We've changed the air bags and shockabsorbers,ride height sensors, an easy job; al so the air pump has been repaired utilising a kit, also easy to do.

However the suspension need recalibrating, not so easy, but we did get the necessary lead and software, and my son has since performed this job on numerous P38s, so the cost was worthwhile.

The body control module blew a track, this was repaired by a local auto electrician who also works for a number of Land Rover dealers, and was therefore aware of the regular problems and fixes.

I've now got an intermitant warning fault which requires a door lock module to be changed at around £130.

The P38 is a lot of car for little money. If I didn't own a fully equiped and staffed workshop I doubt that I would own one; but what do you buy? everything these days is stuffed with electronics that can and do go wrong. At least with the P38 the faults are quite common knowledge, and people who have the know how to repair are around without reverting to main dealers and their rates.

I owned Shoguns for many years, they also have their faults, also expensive to fix, but do not compare in ride quality. If you want a cheap 4x4, easy to maintain get a Suzuki Vitara, otherwise be prepaired for some hefty bills if you can't make the spanners dance.

webber

Block porous due to 4.6 litres gives very little metal left .

Be warned this can become a exspense hobbie.

Go for Disco TD5 ES

Cheers OTH

:yes: What a load of old twaddle they do not have porous blocks they can and do suffer from the liners slipping though, electrics can be a problem some times but saying all that some do and some don't as long as they have been serviced regularly then there should not be a problem. if you want some really good advice log on to landy zone and do a search on buying a p38 :oops: .

Why gas I ask this as you say you are only using it at weekends so fuel economy shouldn't be much of an issue, both my p38 and my classic are straight petrol engines the 3.5 does 12 to 14mpg around town and 18 on a long run my 4.6 does 14 to 18mpg around town and the best I have had is 26 on a run.

If all the so called horror stories you hear about p38's has frightened you off why not go for a later classic as less electricery to worry about and still as comfortable allot of people have said to go for a Disco but Classics are cheaper for parts and to repair than a Disco even though they are pure range rover under the body shell on the mk1's but the mk2's are very much like the p38's with there electrics.

Having said all of this if you have really set your heart on a Range Rover be it a Classic or a P38 search long and hard and when you look at one check it over make sure every thing works as it should and I mean every thing then check it again and join landy zone as at times you may need there help and expertise

As far as being an expensive hobby goes if you can do allot off work yourself or you have a capable friend then expense should not be much of a problem.

:hmm: Hope this helps good luck and go for it :oops:

Hi guys thanks for all your help.

to throw another spanner in the works ive been having a good old look around and it seems i could get a slighty lower milage es disco for around the same price.

wich one would you guys recomend

Discovery 3.9 lpg es

or

Range Rover p38 lpg

discovery 300 tdi /td5s are ****