Lesson Learned

peek-at

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys, take it easy on the lad. He's done something a bit daft and has learned from it, luckily nobody was hurt so it's not the end of the world. I don't know of anyone who's never made a mistake in life? There's a good chance he would have been more careful if he was with someone else too.

When I'm shooting from a vehicle I always leave the fired case in the chamber. If I load and don't get to fire for some reason I'll pop the round and mag out then close the bolt on an empty chamber before replacing the mag. I feel that's the safest way and it takes a second to load for a shot.

Fair play to you for having the balls to post this up fella. If only we all had the nerve to post about the bad days, we all have them now and again. The most wrrying thing I ever had happen was lying over the bonnet of the landy about to take a shot and my trigger arm slipped off of the wing. That pulled the stock lower and sent a round to the sky and thank god there was a lot of ground behind it because it wasn't a small rifle! I actually felt sick for a moment when it happened but I'm 99.9% sure it would have just landed in a field.

Suppose your lad or your daughter got shot. njc, would you take it easy on the lad because he's done something a bit 'daft'. I think you would want to put the muzzle where the sun don't shine and empty the magazine.

so what caliber was it?

I can say an HMR will penetrate the metal down the side of the windscreen but not go as far as the door and just leaves powder behind it :yes:

It was my .22 CZ rimmy.................I'm not too unhappy about shooting the wifes wheels as it is French ! Would have been a lot happier if it was German !!! :angry:

Those wondering about the mechanics of it, at the particular time I had been outside of the car and got back in rifle first. So the muzzle had never pointed towards me. ( as hard as it may be, please believe me when i say that even i'm not that stupid )

To those of you with scathing criticism..........................................................Fair Play ! I thoroughly deserve it

To those who have offered advice from their vast experience......................My gratitude

To those who have appreciated my humility..................................................My humble thanks

To those who think thay are immune to having an accident..........................MY A R S E !!!

I was always going to get a lashing from someone over posting this but we all make mistakes and as long as we learn from experience, good and bad, we will be better for it. I wanted to share my 'experience' just in case,maybe, it stopped someone doing it themselves.

:unsure:

PS. to HELADOXA - Although I was once 14yrs old i'm afraid I was never a boy scout and therefore missed the lesson on firearms safety........i'm sure many others also missed getting that badge so why not share your expertise instead of just wagging your finger disapprovingly ? (none of us are perfect)

Edited by peek-at

Those wondering about the mechanics of it, at the particular time I had been outside of the car and got back in rifle first. So the muzzle had never pointed towards me. ( as hard as it may be, please believe me when i say that even i'm not that stupid )

Got you now :unsure:

To those of you with scathing criticism..........................................................Fair Play ! I thoroughly deserve it

To those who have offered advice from their vast experience......................My gratitude

To those who have appreciated my humility..................................................My humble thanks

To those who think thay are immune to having an accident..........................MY A R S E !!!

:angry:

The firearm safety is pretty basic.

Never point a gun at anyone, not even in jest when everyone knows it's unloaded

Always know the state of your weapon

Never do anything you haven't been told to do

first rifle lesson, cadets, aged 14. It's basic, it's standard and if you haven't heard it or a variation before I am very scared. Everyone must know this, and if they don't they must be taught.

Cadets was great, meant we always were safe. When unloading make sure muzzle pointed in safe direction. That saved me when my quad failed to eject the round in the chamber. These procedures are the backup for cock-ups - they keep people's heads on when mistakes are made.

also when resting on the bonnet to take a shot don't shoot behind the vehicle forgetting to account for the pillar by the side of the windscreen, seen that done after all you can see through the scope but that is above the barrel.

I tend to have a shot outside and not chamber another round if the gun is to come back in, if you are taking it in the car unload the round in the chamber always don't rely on the safety, you've had a very lucky escape this time

*Sits and waits for steve42 to see this*.... :unsure:

shaun

Come on guys,

it takes a brave man to admit his mistakes in public,

i think this was published to remind us all about never taking safety for granted.....

and has been said before "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".....

in my book that means only the virgin mary should critisize him on this post....

shaun

iam not sticking up for anyone or or saying what he did wasn't daft but those people who say they never do anything dangerous with dangerous weapons,

have you ever driven down the road and taken your eyes off the road for 1 second to look at something, if you have then a kid could of walked out in front of you and your car could do as much damage as a .22 could, iam not wanting to start an arguement just saying no one is perfect

colin

iam not sticking up for anyone or or saying what he did wasn't daft but those people who say they never do anything dangerous with dangerous weapons,

have you ever driven down the road and taken your eyes off the road for 1 second to look at something, if you have then a kid could of walked out in front of you and your car could do as much damage as a .22 could, iam not wanting to start an arguement just saying no one is perfect

colin

here, you may want to borrow this...... :unsure:

shaun

Suppose your lad or your daughter got shot. njc, would you take it easy on the lad because he's done something a bit 'daft'. I think you would want to put the muzzle where the sun don't shine and empty the magazine.

You're quite right H, but in my mind intention has a great deal of bearing on how I feel about a person. This lad did this accidentally and no accident makes someone a bad person. He may be clumsy or a bit daft, but not bad. Luck was on his side and nobody got hurt so give him a break. I can say with 99.9% certainty that if he'd have had a passenger or someone was standing the other side of his car, he wouldn't have pointed his firearm in that direction whilst loaded. Shooting a car is only like clipping a branch with a round when shooting at a bunny. I point a loaded rifle at my truck all the time when I'm alone and although I wouldn't want to shoot it, it wouldn't be a major issue if I did as it's just a heap of metal with no feelings and it can be brought back to life with a spot of filler! When out with a shooting friend things change in a big way because something that matters is brought into the equation. At that point a loaded firearm is never pointed at the vehicle because the vehicles contents are no longer replacable.

I don't know if you'll see where I'm coming from but in my view he's not put anyones life in danger because he hasn't pointed his rifle at anything that matters if it's shot? :lol:

I will try and upload a photo, as a word of warning though.... not as a trophy.

shaun

Here you go...........

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab186/peek-at/car1.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab186/peek-at/car2.jpg

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab186/peek-at/car3.jpg

please take on all advice given on this post and avoid the same fate.

cheeres all

shaun