My IIa and work so far.

George1990

Got my Landy a couple of months ago now, and after a good going over quite a bit revealed itself.

Spent ages taking off Hammerite and other paint off the all galvinised bits (tub, windscreen and bonnet had been covered).

DSCN1397.jpg

DSCN1490.jpg

Then rubbed down the bonnet, acid etched and painted in Bronze Green. Lovely jubbly!

Before:

RSCN1486.jpg

After:

DSCN1405.jpg

DSCN1477.jpg

DSCN1441.jpg

Then after I put all nice new EP90 in everywhere, the offside front started leaking it out of the brake drum! Slightly worring (and a lot out the swivels too.) So stripped these back to reveal quite a horror story. Bearings seized and running in silt, swivel bearings all silted up and running in rust etc. Also the brake cylinder had seized and the nearside was leaking. Notice my new snail adjuster! (No it hasn't got an MOT don't worry!)

DSCN1436.jpg

DSCN1466.jpg

DSCN1468.jpg

New ones I picked up from a Landy jumble for £5 a side!!

DSCN1470.jpg

Now all nicely put back on with new railkos and bearing and seals etc. This is as far as I've got so far on both sides.

DSCN1501.jpg

Also been rubbing down the rest for painting.

DSCN1495.jpg

Acid etched where the metal poked through.

DSCN1497.jpg

Filler primed for painting.

DSCN1506.jpg

And fitted some proper seats and *****.

DSCN1487.jpg

DSCN1484.jpg

Got a IIa door which need rubbing and etching and painting. Got some zinc primer for the steel bits on the other side.

DSCN1482.jpg

Not had time for much shooting recently. This is going to be my shooting wagon, as well as just my lovely Series. I shall be taking the cab off and putting a tilt on. I'll whack some piccies up when I'm done.

Thanks chaps. Already got some stuff from there Billy. They have better quality bits than most of the stuff from Paddock, but they're both good. Yup I'll never finish tinkering :good:

Yup I'm on the Series 2 club forum. Very useful stuff. Don't think Viking will ever live that down :) :)

Get some pics up of yours Paul.

Just rubbing down the tub at the moment. Should have it done by this evening or tomorrow evening so should be painted by the end of the week. Using the synthetic enamel from Paddocks in Bronze Green. Very nice to brush on as it runs just enough to smooth out the brush marks to leave a nice finish. Bit like my bonnet! :) You can see some runs and brush strokes in it but it isn't bad. Not looking for a concourse finish anyway. Just a nice classic bronze green all over.

Allpower to you for the undertaking but it baffles me why guys like you come on a pigeon shooting forum :) ...you obviously have a lifetime project in hand that’ll stop you going shooting (and a lot else) for months at a time! :) Do they talk about shooting on the LR forum? :good:

Allpower to you for the undertaking but it baffles me why guys like you come on a pigeon shooting forum :lol: ...you obviously have a lifetime project in hand that’ll stop you going shooting (and a lot else) for months at a time! :yes: Do they talk about shooting on the LR forum? :good:

:lol: Yeh I've not been shooting much at all since I got it. Depleted my shooting fund too.

I've been shooting longer than Land Rovering though. And it's my shooting wagon. And it's the off road section! :lol:

George1990.....keep us updated, that's a great wrok in progress story. Can't wait for the end result. :good:

Paul223.......stop that behaviour, that's just so wrong to use somebody else's picture as your's, it does look familiar though :yes::lol:

George1990.....keep us updated, that's a great wrok in progress story. Can't wait for the end result. :lol:

Paul223.......stop that behaviour, that's just so wrong to use somebody else's picture as your's, it does look familiar though :lol::lol:

It is my picture, i took it this year on christmas day just after dinner at about 5pm, as you can see the farmers are a little early cutting the crops round this way :good:

oh you are around this way :yes:

Allpower to you for the undertaking but it baffles me why guys like you come on a pigeon shooting forum :lol: ...you obviously have a lifetime project in hand that’ll stop you going shooting (and a lot else) for months at a time! :good: Do they talk about shooting on the LR forum? :good:

do you not realise that folk have lots of irons in the fire when it comes to filling their spare time.i my self enjoy my shooting,but i also play with land rovers,classic tractors/farming and i also have a vintage dozer that needs a lot of hours of my time to keep in good order.its all a juggling act,but thats the way i like it.

It's a 1968 two and a quarter petrol ex RAF. A lot of the RAF stuff was left to rot by a Welsh farmer unfortunately as there aren't many RAF ones about. The front end (with under/over style lights and bonnet catches), seatboxes, engine and gearbox are original.

Used to be the RAF blue but rubbing down shows it's been a few colours since. Bronze green now how I want it. Going to put a tilt on - need to restore the door and get another and it'll be amazing. Needs a bit of tinkering under the bonnet.

blimey drums on the front good luck :lol: will you be changing the engine as you ideally want to to get any form of fuel economy from it, had a friend with one did well under 20mpg :lol:

my mates running a 88inch 2 1/4 petrol with full tilt, so about as light as they come without being air potable, 20 mpg would be very optimistic, 12 mpg would be closer to the truth :good: less than 10 mpg running round the farm lamping :)

I have a choice of 2 200tdi's for mine when i can bothered :hmm::lol:

Edited by Paul223

Yes bulkhead is pretty good, chassis is repaired. These are where most money goes on em - which is why I got this one - anything else can be done yourself with a bit of know how.

I realise they're not the most economical of engines but what you gonna do. The only other Landy engine worth putting in is the 200 tdi. The others have been ruined by electronics and all these modern 'improvements'. The 200 tdi is a bit modernised for my liking but they're good.

Edited by George1990

It's not for removing rust - don't need it on steel as you can use ordinary primer. Acid/self etching primer is for aluminium and any other metal surface that paint would not normally stick to. So yes I would imagine it would be a good choice for alloys. Has to be spotlessly clean before hand or it won't stick so well. Any pits will still show through if you don't rub them enough :lol: