parked cars in fields

dead-eye-dick

For thoose of you with 4x4's who drive their cars to the hide,

do you ever get the feeling birds are put off by your vehicle.

Wile doing a recci it seemed that bird where less hesitant to return to a "walked-off" field with my car parked by the side, but this my be my imagination.

I'm sure they are used to seeing cars parked next to fields, but it did seem like they were alittle shy ??

:) When I get the chance to drive the 4x4 to the hide to unload(mainly when shooting over stubble) I then take it way back from the shooting area. If it is a sunny day, I drape a couple of camo. nets over it to stop the glare. I find this works O.K.but if it does stop 1 or 2 birds coming in ,it is still worth not having to cart the gear including the kitchen sink by hand.How do you think I picked the name "ernyha"? I had to have a HERNIA operation last year and people reckon it was caused by humping all the shooting gear every week. :)  :)  8-)

A few years ago, I spent £28,000 on a Toyota Landcruiser, and found that parking it close to the hide had no ill effects whatsoever.

Then my mate, who shall remain nameless, but who is usually known as John Doran, shot it whilst missing a pigeon at the same time.

After that I parked it in the lane. :)

Never had a motor that has been 'shot'. I did have a a car that got it's bonnet severely dinged with a large chunk of clay once. That will teach me for connecting the DTL trap to my car battery following a generator failure at our clay club. What really upset me was all the lads thought it most amusing!   :)

Guest flightline

I used to have a car that had one or two unexplained small dents and I guess this was spent shot from my shooting-shot from a 12 bore carries 400 yards, tho obviously the further it goes the less energy it has. This is why I`m always cautious about roads. Can you imagine unintentionally spraying a cyclist with spent shot? I reckon they might get the armed response unit out! :)

I was told a tale by the lads that I shoot with of a time when they were shooting over peas in a field close to the M40. The field was on the lower side of an embankment and dropped steeply in the valley. They were shooting from a tree line at the bottom of the field towards the motorway but were a long way out of range from the motorway....or so they thought.  :)

The next thing they see is a police patrol car coming down the access track looking for the source of the shot that was raining down on the motorway. It appears that they were in such a cosy sheltered spot that they were unaware that a strong wind was catching their shot and carrying it over the embankment onto the M40!! :)  :)

No action was taken as the police were also surprised that the shot travelled so far.  :)

The birds dont seem to mind my white Toyota, they sit on the tree above and **** all over it!

As a cycling commuter I have been hit by shot but its always been on the way down; no problem. I usually stop and have a look through the hedge when I hear shooting.... why do we always look so guilty.  :*)

:)  :) Cars in the field thats a good on .  That wasthe time when we went shooting over pea stubble ,years ago. ( ME BEING AN OLD SHOOTER AND ALL THAT) hAad a great days shooting only to find back at the motor that the keys were MISSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!      UGH!    

Well there we were inthe middle of nowhere , traiped over loads of fields they could have been anywhere.However a farm labourer said try my car key ,well blow me down the *********dy thing fitted.

HOW LUCKY WAS THAT.

MORAL IS PUT YOUR KEYS SOMEWHERE SAFE.

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

• 4 weeks later...

Stubble alert! :) Each year I attend at least one car fire that is caused by the hot exhaust touching stubble :)

The 'customers' range from shooters to courting couples.  One year, we even managed to burn out a fire engine whilst putting out a fire in a field of standing barley started by a car exhaust  :)

Glad I arrived AFTER the fire started  :love:

Hi pigeon pieman,this reminded me of a dilemma i had last summer,i was decoying crows in a field if hay when a crow landed about 15yds from my hide i was just about to raise the gun when i thought back to shooting in the dark on various occasions whens sparks are quite easily seen to come out of the gun i was using fibre wads and to cut a long story short didnt fire (until it was airborne :) )has anyone ever heard of a field being set alight because of this?

Neil,

sorts of similar - but not shooting was a battle re-enactment by the 'Sealed Knot' historical group, the black powder flintlock boys.  My brother used to live in Whitney in Oxon, and they were doing a battle scene in a vast stubble field at the back of his house.  To cut a long story short, a cannon flared (technical cannony thing term) and set light to the field.  The resulting fire burnt out 53 (yes 53!) cars that had parked on the field.  The wind blew the smoke and flames in their direction, making it impossible for people to get to their cars!! :)  :) Wouldn't have wanted their insurance premium the following year   :)