Best crop to try this week

jimbo30

Go where the Pigeons are, not where you hope they might be.

Look out for flightlines, then follow the birds to their chosen fields, best times are mid afternoon onwards.

In the past week I've seen them feeding on Barley and Peas. :rolleyes:

Cat.

As said - look around and find the flight lines. At the moment ours are mostly on wheat with a few here and there on barley stubble and clover. It's far better to spend time looking around for the best option than sitting in a hide with nothing going on.

As said - look around and find the flight lines. At the moment ours are mostly on wheat with a few here and there on barley stubble and clover. It's far better to spend time looking around for the best option than sitting in a hide with nothing going on.
have they cut the barley already round your area then : ours is 7 to 10 days off yet. Edited by yickdaz

have they cut the barley already round your area then : ours is 7 to 10 days off yet.

No mate. It's set aside from last year and won't be ploughed in until September. Something to do with the Stewardship scheme. The volunteers are only about 14" high and there is chickweed amongst it too. A few weeks ago there were 200+ pigeons on it. Now they've moved onto standing wheat.

I'll guarantee you will find em on wheat fields, they are dropping into the tramlines everywhere, they love milky green wheat.

Difficult to get at em though, some farmers don't want you trailing about in the standing crop and even with a farmers blessing your dog will miss picking a few and leaving shot birds to fester is not just fodder for the wretched 'antis' :blink: it is against the rules of conduct :good:

I'll guarantee you will find em on wheat fields, they are dropping into the tramlines everywhere, they love milky green wheat.

Difficult to get at em though, some farmers don't want you trailing about in the standing crop and even with a farmers blessing your dog will miss picking a few and leaving shot birds to fester is not just fodder for the wretched 'antis' :blink: it is against the rules of conduct :good:

The farmer I shoot from is less worried about my dog moving through his wheat than the bloomin' great crop circles of trodden wheat that the birds have caused. Set up a low hide in the wheelings near to a crop circle and blat away. Don't worry about leaving dead birds that your dog can't find. The purpose is to prevent serious damage to crops. Using the birds for food is secondary.

Shot 101 on wheat yesterday the birds where dropping into a patch laid by a merlin chopper as around us the RAF from benson train in bump and go .

Also they where dropping into a patch where badgers had flattened the area I got there at 4 the birds I shot had gorged themselves ever bird I shot had a crop full shot till 2100hrs and birds still pulling in.

Look for power lines or dead trees near the wheat you will find birds .

On the upside I have been reporting a real lack of birds in my area but yesterday was the first time in four months that I have seen a strong flightline .

Regards OTH

Hi,

Clover, just had a 37 and (exactly) 100 bag. Well pleased with the 100 as, if you look at a decent map, you'll see why we don't get too many in the outskirts of Exmouth. Record stood for years at 54 until about 5 years ago when I had 65 twice. Since then it's been really poor and I haven't a clue where they all came from this year. Nothing on the barley or oats (another thread, this forum) yet, but here's hoping.

Cheers

Shot 101 on wheat yesterday the birds where dropping into a patch laid by a merlin chopper as around us the RAF from benson train in bump and go .

Also they where dropping into a patch where badgers had flattened the area I got there at 4 the birds I shot had gorged themselves ever bird I shot had a crop full shot till 2100hrs and birds still pulling in.

On the upside I have been reporting a real lack of birds in my area but yesterday was the first time in four months that I have seen a strong flightline .

Regards OTH

powerlines are a very good bet, i can see loads out of my window about half a mile away ive got permission and it seems to be a good flightline, its lovely when you can reccy whilst eating a sausage sandwich. They are on the wheat and barley around our way

Regards OTH

well done OTH should have posted a pic :good: you say seeing good numbers round you now.same here where i shot 40 monday;didn;t see more than 20 on the drillings in march but beleive me the numbers there at the moment are countless i think they have had a good breeding season with the warm dry spell we had since end of march till now because i shot 10 young birds out of a 40 bag.

just below my house there is alot of pigeons dropping on a field of green wheat that has been cut up and baled (arable silage)

will be having a go tomorrow weather pending

they havent touched the peas near us and are spread over every wheat field dropping in tramlines, cannot find a decent flightline, have tryd a few dferent places but no good

bring on the swathed rape!!