zander fishing

lister1

my friend has offered to cook me and my family a meal if we provide a good zander.

seeing as i'm moving back to the fens next week and the middle level is just a filed away i thought i best get on with it.

any tips on catching zander?

any good rigs?

i have most gear just need some trebles and traces.

my friend has offered to cook me and my family a meal if we provide a good zander.

seeing as i'm moving back to the fens next week and the middle level is just a filed away i thought i best get on with it.

any good rigs?

Keep it light and keep it simple, hit then early too as they will drop the bait if they feel too much resistance!

Use small roach for bait

Get some local knowledge on where they are showing

You would do best in the night/evening

Good luck

Shippy

I caught my first ever Zander earlier this year lure fishing on the oxford cana,l south northants, the canals round here are full of them, took 7 in all, none above 2lb but perfect eating size.

We were initially targetting pike and forgot about the zander stocks. All were caught with Storm soft rubber perch, swapped to the same lure but roach pattern and the hits dried up, swapped back to the perch pattern and bang on the third cast connected!!

All in all good sport but dissapointed on a pike no show.

Ian.

i was thinking of trying a dead bait on a running rig on the bottom through my bite alarms. an possibly wobbling a dead beait on the surface. had a quick look on the net and roach seem to be the bets bait. never really got on well with spinners, had a go one for pike but didn't even get a bite.

anyone who knows the middle level will tell you there are plenty of zander in the level.

Hi mate, if you are deadbaiting for them only use tiny bait eg. a roach or sprat head, they tend not to go near big deadbaits. instead of using trebles use a size 1 or 2 single hook, and just leger a running rig.

best time is night for zander as thats when they feed mostly but like any fish u can catch them anytime of the day!

good luck! let us know how u get on!

The thrill of lure fishing is the anticipation of a hit at any time, either at the extent of the cast or under the rod tip, modern braided mainlines really give you superb sensitivity, every little tap and knock is transferred through the rod.

You also travel light, for me thats my rod, fold up net across my back, shoulder bag with essential kit and a small cantilever tackle box full of lures, last time out me and my mate covered 3 miles of tow path

Ian.

any good rigs?

I used to do a lot of Zandering when i used to have the time :rolleyes: I mainly fished the 16ft drain and the Middle level at 3 holes. Rigs i would reccommend are of the free running variety and use size 10 or 12 trebles. I often used popped up roach sections and had a fair amount of success on them. Regular changing of bait is fairly essential imo. Runs mainly came just after dusk with a few during the night. I caught some good pike whilst night fishing for zander and also some stonking eels.

Good luck! I have some great memories of fishing the above venues :blink:

I must add i never killed a zander as i would compare killing a good sized one to killing a carp. there are plenty of fish in the super markets!

Edited by luckytrigger

thanks for advice guys. if we get a good sized zander we'll let it go but i would like to try eating it so we will be taking a couple home ( if we catch one that is )

There's nothing wrong with taking the odd fish so long as it within the legal limits etc and the local rules permit it. Over fishing anywhere is wrong maybe if a few more fresh water fish were eaten and the rivers managed better there would be more in the sea?

No don't be silly that would upset the big commercial boys, Birds **** etc. Not the small inland boys who are struggling.

Yes I know this isn't possible for everyone but where it Is and you do good luck to you and enjoy it!

Zander is absolutely delicious, great big thick flakes of white meat just like cod, I used to do a fair bit if zandering on the fens about 15 years ago, I always brought 1 or 2 home for the table much to the annoyance of my fishing mates who were in some zander group, but they are too good eating to chuck them all back, fish about 6-7lb are a nice size when filleted.

mikee

Zander is absolutely delicious, great big thick flakes of white meat just like cod, I used to do a fair bit if zandering on the fens about 15 years ago, I always brought 1 or 2 home for the table much to the annoyance of my fishing mates who were in some zander group, but they are too good eating to chuck them all back, fish about 6-7lb are a nice size when filleted.

mikee

Do they have the same annoying pitchfork bones as pike?

LS