George Digweed MBE - 17 World Titles - 4 Decades

yanibaby

19th July 2010

GEORGE ACHIEVES WORLD TITLE GOAL

George achieved his goal of becoming the first sportsman to win a world title in four different decades by claiming gold at the Italian Grand Prix in Laterina, Arezzo on the weekend of 17th/18th July.

George shot an astonishing 197/200 total over the three-day tournament, beating fellow Brit Ben Husthwaite (195/200) into second and American Anthony Matarese (192/200) into third.

He has now won a world title in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and 2010s, and he left Italy happy at having achieved the ambition he has worked towards for so long.

"My long-term goal has always been to try and win a World Championship in four different decades," he explained. "I've had that goal for the last 2-3 years, along with trying to maintain my position within the sport and being competitive at a world level - which I've managed to do.

"Obviously the new decade started this year, and I wanted to win one more world title so I've earned the enviable achievement in sport of having won the world championship as a senior in four different decades. Now I've done that, I'm very happy."

Despite his amazing achievement George remains modest, insisting that serendipity played a part in the fine form he showed in Italy, where he shot a perfect 100/100 over the first two days.

Well done George!

and did we read anything of this in the media...probably not!

As usual the guys (and gals) in the shooting world bring home the trophies far more than in any other sport but they never get the recognition they deserve outside their own sport.

Mr Digweed isn't one of my favourite people (I don't hold that against him :good: ) but the day he or someone like him wins something like Sportsman of the Year award I'll be happy!

and did we read anything of this in the media...probably not!

As usual the guys (and gals) in the shooting world bring home the trophies far more than in any other sport but they never get the recognition they deserve outside their own sport.

Mr Digweed isn't one of my favourite people (I don't hold that against him :good: ) but the day he or someone like him wins something like Sportsman of the Year award I'll be happy!

Heaven forbid our press actually promote gunsports, what would the 'mothers against guns' people say... sigh

I shot the English Open with George...He came across as a Top Bloke.

He came upto me at the end and said how he enjoyed shooting with me etc :good: Was a pleasure to watch a Master at work.

I wouldn't Bet against him achieving a 5th title in the 2020's.

Edited by Anni

I'm not a "sports" fan so my knowledge of golf/tennis/boxing etc is limited, but it strikes me that GD surely must be one of the most successful British individual international sporting competitors of all time.

If I am talking rubbish please put me back in my box, but I cant think of any other Brits who have been world champion as many times in their given sport.