Bricklayers

Alanl50

I want the two brick pillars/ piers that the gates hang from on our front drive rebuilt only 104 bricks in total for both, I will remove the old ones, I have already bought the bricks and mortar, there is a couple of brickies working opposite my house so I tackle them, how much for cash? £120.00 and its a days work, I then rung up the builder that did my extension last year and asked him, he said "its got to be 2 days work" so I explained the quantity and can me expect me to believe he can only lay 52 bricks a day I fell about laughing and told him he taking the f-ing pee he said he's coming round to look!! I cant wait, anyone know of any brickies in the Ipswich area?:good:

Alan

I am a qualified brickie,although i dont actually lay em any more :good:,a days work is anything that can be completed within that day with no time left over to fit other work in,so £120 is not bad for two piers,after all its not just running in to a line its all plumbing up and guaging and levelling.

Your missing the point I have no probs paying for qualified trades men, but one quoting 2 days and the other only 1 day who wants £120 for completion, the other wants 2 days money at £150.00 a day now do you see my point and lets be honest it a ******* brick wall not the hanging gardens of babylon :good:

Alan

Edited by Alanl50

im a qualifed brickie, like vampire said its all plumbing and gauge work not just a simplle run to a line job, but 104 bricks should be do-able in one day i would of thought!!! 2 days at £150 is a bit steap i must admit! be careful about getting some college lad to do it i left college 2 years ago and some lads even in there 3rd year are not up to much and if its at the front of your house you would want it to be pretty decent, if one pier is higher than the other it will look awful! personally id go with the £120 a day man, at least you can see the quality of his work if he is only working across the road. good luck

im a qualifed brickie, like vampire said its all plumbing and gauge work not just a simplle run to a line job, but 104 bricks should be do-able in one day i would of thought!!! 2 days at £150 is a bit steap i must admit! be careful about getting some college lad to do it i left college 2 years ago and some lads even in there 3rd year are not up to much and if its at the front of your house you would want it to be pretty decent, if one pier is higher than the other it will look awful! personally id go with the £120 a day man, at least you can see the quality of his work if he is only working across the road. good luck

I hear you but my working is simple if we said an 8 hour day = 8x60 minutes = 480, divide that by 52 based on the 2 day merchant which = 9 1/4 bricks approx an hour?? In his dreams Ill mix his mortar, drink his tea and eat his sandwiches for him to save time :good:

My god you can see why the Olympic stadium has taken so long thank god for the Polish, :hmm::hmm::lol:

As I said before I havent got a problem paying a tradesman but I have when he's ripping me off :good:

Alan

Alan out of intrest what would you like to pay or was expecting to pay . :good: .

As a former full time brickie during the 1990s I can tell you £120 is great price and the two days for £300 is way over .

As said before pillers are not the easest or hardest thng to do but it aint no down the line work.

If you do it yourself or get some bodger to do it make sure they use febmix or simliar makes a world of diffrents.

Here a picture of some work I done it a bit dusty due to rain splash.

Regards OTH

Brickwal002.jpg

Alan out of intrest what would you like to pay or was expecting to pay . :good: .

As a former full time brickie during the 1990s I can tell you £120 is great price and the two days for £300 is way over .

As said before pillers are not the easest or hardest thng to do but it aint no down the line work.

If you do it yourself or get some bodger to do it make sure they use febmix or simliar makes a world of diffrents.

Here a picture of some work I done it a bit dusty due to rain splash.

Regards OTH

Brickwal002.jpg

£120 for a days work is fine by me, my workings out was for the numpty who thought he could drag it out to 2 days and then charge me £300!!!!

Alan

Edited by Alanl50

I had Plasterers in yesterday - two men and they re- boarded bathroom ceiling (Toilet and bathroom knocked into one) and boarded up old door - I did frame timber work in old door opening -- - they supplied all materials -- needed another batten running along one joist in loft and they also filled chasing channel where I have put heating pipes - this morning it has dried out well and must say it's a very good job -- Got here at 10.00 and finished at 5.00 --OK - how much ??

The ceiling boarding was over top of old ceiling boards

Virtual drink to winner.

Dave

This brings memories of when I wanted 2 walls in a room plastering, I had taken it back to the brickwork, unibonded for them, price agreed £250.00 for materials and for 2 men for the day (we are going back 10 years'ish) they were supposed to start at 8 am, 9 came I rang him he was just finishing off another job I said you could have let me know sorry Ill be there by 10am he said, 11am, miday, 1pm I was fuming in the meantime I went through the yellow pages rang another plasterer well loads and one agreed, I said I pay double I dont care I want it done, no need mate he said Ill be round tonight the other lot turned turned up at 4pm profuse language came from my mouth, with go forth and multiply to finish, they went the other chap turned up had a look fell about laughing and said he would do the whole room for £150 on his own, but would do it over two nights, he was in my house 6 hours tops I gave him £175 and a bottle of top brand whiskey he was chuffed.

He got a lot of work from me and all the business cards I handed to relatives and friends.

Alan

I am not a brickie but is it possible that the guy who said he could only build X number of bricks in a day meaning that IF you go beyond that in a small structure like a pillar the weight of the top bricks will cause the lower , "green" courses to spread or splay out?:good:?

Blackpowder

I want the two brick pillars/ piers that the gates hang from on our front drive rebuilt only 104 bricks in total for both, I will remove the old ones, I have already bought the bricks and mortar, there is a couple of brickies working opposite my house so I tackle them, how much for cash? £120.00 and its a days work, I then rung up the builder that did my extension last year and asked him, he said "its got to be 2 days work" so I explained the quantity and can me expect me to believe he can only lay 52 bricks a day I fell about laughing and told him he taking the f-ing pee he said he's coming round to look!! I cant wait, anyone know of any brickies in the Ipswich area?:good:

Alan

In the OP you state 'a couple of brickies opposite my house' i make that 60 quid each which i think you will find hard to better. :good:

In the OP you state 'a couple of brickies opposite my house' i make that 60 quid each which i think you will find hard to better. :good:

Yes 2 over the road but only one is going to do the work :good:

Alan

blimey not a bad guess, if it was cash they would have had somewhere arround £120 each plus materials as you wouldn't have used much board or skim. The nice bit is you got a decent job, they got a days work and you will use them again and recomend them

I want the two brick pillars/ piers that the gates hang from on our front drive rebuilt only 104 bricks in total for both, I will remove the old ones, I have already bought the bricks and mortar, there is a couple of brickies working opposite my house so I tackle them, how much for cash? £120.00 and its a days work, I then rung up the builder that did my extension last year and asked him, he said "its got to be 2 days work" so I explained the quantity and can me expect me to believe he can only lay 52 bricks a day I fell about laughing and told him he taking the f-ing pee he said he's coming round to look!! I cant wait, anyone know of any brickies in the Ipswich area?:unsure:

Alan

Oh yawn, I get this all day long in my trade. Don't pay anyone, do it yourself, you will see how easy it is and you can use all that money you have saved to buy some radox bath salts for your backache, some clarins skin cream for the mortar burns on your hands, pay all the household bills for a day and invest that huge remaining balance in your pension fund :blink:

I am not a brickie but is it possible that the guy who said he could only build X number of bricks in a day meaning that IF you go beyond that in a small structure like a pillar the weight of the top bricks will cause the lower , "green" courses to spread or splay out?:blink:?

Blackpowder

Not unless they are engineering bricks or similar non absorbent type bricks.

Andy

al4x

We used them 12 months ago when we bought the bungalow - in past there had been burst pipes in loft and all ceilings had bowed - we had them in and they cross battened all ceilings and plasterboarded every room except bathroom -- did a very good job so we had them again - I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend them to anyone. - Now the plumber - that's a different story - robbin b@stard.

dave