Which jacket should I buy

crocket

Hi

Thinking of buying a waterproof jacket in plain green, looked at the " Barbour Endurance " very pricey and I have heard conflicting reports, although I would like a similar product, looked at adverts for GARLANDS PEACHCLOTH - SEELANDS - DEERHUNTER.

Any tips before I take the plunge into the unknown. To me they all look very much the same.

A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

Crocket ;)

i just bought a jacket from aldi!! waterproof, detachable inner fleece,hood, loads of pockets, been out in some really bad weather does me fine :thumbs: £19.99p. at that price ya dont mind if it gets ripped n battered :thumbs: lots of other stuff is over priced and over rated B) B) :lol:

Edited by digga

My personal choice is barbour everytime i know they are expensive but i still use a barbour i bought 16 years ago, I agree they are a little noisy compared to many of the new materials available. A lot has to depend on what u will use it for but a Barbour will work just as well in a beaters trailer or on the gun wagon.

Neil

I have the Barbour Endurance Lightweight jacket and think it is outstanding. John Norris currently has it on special offer, I think £130. One thing to note, Barbour jackets are made BIG, I had to go a size down but the fit is perfect for me. In the colder weather I just put a fleece on underneath and I'm well protected, great coat.

The thing with a Barbour is that its going to last.

Mines nearly twenty and its still going strong.

OK, I don't wear it every day but it has lasted extremely well.

If I divided the original cost by the number of years I've had it, its cheap as chips :lol:

So it can be considered an investment :rolleyes:

I am also looking at a new jacket.

Looking at Hunter stuff. I like it and it is cheaper than most compatiable models.

The Demark?? stuff state up this topic a bit is good to I have seen it but I am the shape of nothing and must try it on first, hard to fit, haven't the confidence to go airmail.

Barbour I have found is cold. You need a linner. They do great legs, the type like the cowboys were. slip on each leg, looped to you belt. If you ferret they are priceless for kneeling, you butt never sweats at least from legans on and you dont tear the butt out of the legans, as they dont have one. Need a **** in the wood just drop the trouser and you are ready to fire :)

Note: Any water proof kit, "especially Gor-tex" will leak like a sive if you are working near thorny bushes or bryers etc.

That will make the gaurantee redundant. I know as I have over 20 years experience of working in the outdoor pursuits field. Everyone rushed out to buy this great new invention that stood the rought wear and tear of the great out doors. All the adds of guys up mountians, rock, canoeing and forests giving it dogs abuse.

After 100s of guys send the kit back as it was leaking, me included, they washed their hands clean saying that as it was used in the outdoors the couldn't proof it had not got punchured in rough cover?

So choose well. If you are in thorny country go the Army surplus shop and spend £20 on and old jacket with a bullet hold in it. Might not stop heavy rain but you can plough through anything. If you know you wont ***** the jacket on a thorn, spend £200 for a 100% water/wind proof jacket that is warm and will keep you searching through pockets for a week trying to find keys. :)

Good searching