Bale hides

Ferret Master

Hi,

First of all apologies for starting a topic on something which has been covered before, however the search function doesn't appear to be working to its normal standard so I can find precious little info. on the above mentioned topic!

Does anyone have any photos of bale hides they have made in the middle of the field from large round bales?

Also how do people generally go about constructing a roof of some description? Just drape a net over the back/top? This leads me onto my next question, the middle of a stubble field is a somewhat different colour to a hedgerow, do you think a bit of my normal stealth and realtree netting which is greeny brown will cause many problems due to looking unnatural?

Cheers,

FM :balloon:

Hi,

First of all apologies for starting a topic on something which has been covered before, however the search function doesn't appear to be working to its normal standard so I can find precious little info. on the above mentioned topic!

Does anyone have any photos of bale hides they have made in the middle of the field from large round bales?

Also how do people generally go about constructing a roof of some description? Just drape a net over the back/top? This leads me onto my next question, the middle of a stubble field is a somewhat different colour to a hedgerow, do you think a bit of my normal stealth and realtree netting which is greeny brown will cause many problems due to looking unnatural?

Cheers,

FM :hmm:

Unless the field is HUGE and you really feel being in the middle is a must then I would suggest using the bales against a hedgerow and using your netting (Always chuck some bits of straw into your netting to break it up a bit more in keeping with the straw bales/stubble)

Or even better if there is a tree in the field put two or three around this and try decoy from there as pigeons that are not commited to your decoys may come have a look and go to sit in the tree - therefore offering a shot before they get into it!

With bales I usually leave gap and drape the netting between the gap and look through that and never bob up to look over the bales as your a dead give away. If you are against a tree or hegderow no need for a roof or top just keep sat down looking through the netting in the gap.

Hope this helps :balloon:

I only use bales where I have no alternative cover and they are out in the open, I only have long term hides using the small standard oblong bales.

Although I have draped a net round the end of a couple of the big round ones, for the few days the farmer left them on the stubble.

A couple of farmers I shoot for put bales out for me to use and drop them off where I ask on the fields.

I have always used the Archie Coats method of a square hide 3 bales high (12 bales), plus 1 to put on the top of the wall that I am sitting against.

He had an extra one for a seat, but I prefer my bucket seat.

I have never added a net, or "roof", although I often have the extra bale at my back diagonally across the corner of the hide (so I am sitting in the corner).

There isn't anything to stop you having different shapes and heights, its whatever works for where you want them.

I've used two round bale hides rolled together in a v shape with a net in the middle with success. No roof is required. I also recommend using a desert camo net in the middle of stubble fields, they work a treat.

same as. we used nothing but the desert camo at one time when shooting on or side of stubble fields with straw bales they are the dogs..........

The main reason I am wanting to get out in the middle of the field is to get closer to where the birds are really feeding heavily up one side of the field.

I can't get much closer due to the road, and if I set up in that hedge the wind will be in my face which isn't ideal. There is also quite a few trees where the birds are more likely to land from afar to survey the scene rather than dropping in for a closer look. :balloon:

FM :hmm:

FM, there was chap on here with a trailer as a bale hide.... looked amazing. Some IT savy chap will find if for you............

I try to use the odd tree that sits on many of my fields then the normal hide. I often bungee the back 2 poles together via the back of the tree trunk

A month back they were hammering laid wheat and the only way to shoot them was to set up near to the laid crop, i.e. in the middle of the field. I used a standard woodland green Stealth Net initially which stuck out like a sore thumb. Didn't matter though. The pigeons kept coming in. One evening it forecast rain and so I took a Pop-a-Bivvy in green, no camo'. That stuck out even more as it was higher than the net hide (5 feet) and could be seen for miles. It even drew derogatory comments from a couple of people. I shot over 60 in a couple of hours, plus some carrions and other corvids. I continued to use it to good effect for a couple more sessions.

Moral of the story is that pigeons don't think like humans. They associate danger with certain things and ignore certain things that we reason are unusual. If you keep out of sight I reckon it doesn't matter whether you use similar colours to the surroundings or whatever comes to hand.

To answer the other part of your question; the roof; Have you thought of using a fishing brolly? Some of us use these to good effect as hides.

i agree colour is not important after all pigeons only see black & white or variants of black & white ie darker or lighter shades if the pigeons want to feed on the field they will come in, the important thing is to "STAY STILL " as they pick up on movement easily :look:

• 2 months later...