What goup size should I expect?

malkiserow

In preparation for my FAC I am doing a bit of practice with an old .22 FWB springer at 25 yards in my garden (Yes the back stop is fine .... big bag of sand plus some heavy duty ply ).

What groups should I be able to shoot? say for starting up again after many years and what to expect after some more practice? I am using a scope not the open sights.

cheers

A few tips to improve grouping from a ex field target club shooter

1 shooting position prone is far the best position

2 bipod far steady shooting

3 breath in hold breath just before you hit trigger

4 squeeze trigger nice and slow dont pull at it

5 different pellet work better with different guns and check the pellets the cheaper ones tend to have a lot of damaged ones in them

6 PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

good look

Almost impossible to answer accuratley-there are so many variables that its daft to even hazard a guess.You could be putting pellet on pellet at that range yet one of your mates with just as much experience might have difficulty putting the pellet in the breach-you really need to turn the question round-the kill zones on all likely quarry are well documented-the question you need to ask yourself is at what range can i reliably hit that size target.Only a plank would shoot at live quarry beyond that range-sorry if it sounds like a lecture, mate-not intended. :crazy:

Almost impossible to answer accuratley-there are so many variables that its daft to even hazard a guess.You could be putting pellet on pellet at that range yet one of your mates with just as much experience might have difficulty putting the pellet in the breach-you really need to turn the question round-the kill zones on all likely quarry are well documented-the question you need to ask yourself is at what range can i reliably hit that size target.Only a plank would shoot at live quarry beyond that range-sorry if it sounds like a lecture, mate-not intended. :good:

I take your point, I guess I am trying to gauge what the gun is capable of compared to me. If the gun can put pellet on pellet at 25 yards they any variation from that is me! I am guessing that a spring air rifle is not quite so good. So if the gun capable of 5 pellets in say a 10 p piece, the rest of any scatter is down to me.

2 bipod far steady shooting

I heard that a bipod on a springer is a bad idea. Should springers not be allowed to recoil completely freely?

The Weihrauch manual on my HW97K says never to shoot it resting on a hard surface.

I'd be interested to hear the opinions.

Edited by pintosal

I heard that a bipod on a springer is a bad idea. Should springers not be allowed to recoil completely freely?

The Weihrauch manual on my HW97K says never to shoot it resting on a hard surface.

Ok, I'm missing something here, why would the act of fitting a bipod stop the spring from recoiling freely??

...but in principle, bipods and springers are not normally the best bedfellows, usually better results on PCP.....BUT...my lad fitted a bipod on his Gamo some years back and learned to shoot with it, and he did get better results. :good:

Springers should not be shot from a bipod as they have a two way movement on firing. To get the best from them they are best held to allow this movement in a sort of free recoil way, impossible with a bipod attached. Not disputing it is possible to shoot them off a pod just you will never get the best from them this way

yes you are right im in pre charge mode very sorry as fac dont come in spring

I'd be happy with an inch at 25 yards with a springer. That's about what I can do. PCP, well they're a different beast all together and with my old AA S200 I could hit a 5p evry time without fail at that range.

You can get FAC springers but I'd imagine they're beasts to handle!

Well, I wouldn't lose any sleep over that!! :good:

i would consider groupings of 1 inch to be perfectly acceptable with a springer :oops:

I'd be happy with an inch at 25 yards with a springer. That's about what I can do. PCP, well they're a different beast all together and with my old AA S200 I could hit a 5p evry time without fail at that range.

Thanks lads, I was a bit concerned, I am sure I was better than that at a teenager (a good while back). I now need to get my goups consistant every night.

Next up is to practice is the kneeling position as those last groups were prone and using a soft rest.

Not particulary but best under 20 ftlb, the HW80 is a cracker at around 18, but my mate has a patriot thats running top end near 30 i think and it's awfull

Not particulary but best under 20 ftlb, the HW80 is a cracker at around 18, but my mate has a patriot thats running top end near 30 i think and it's awfull

Everything is relative, there was a time I could hit 1.25inch knock downs free standing at 35yards with my Airsporter whilst my pal put then straight back up with his Weirauch springer.

I take it out every now and again and its all I can do to hit a barn door with it now, but if I spent the time I suspect I could get back into the technique, but regardless of this FAC springers do take some handling!

Each to their own but I strongly suggest PCP in FAC!

ATB! :good:

Edited by Dekers

I used Weihrauch underlever springers with Superdomes for many years and a 5 shot group in a 2p size target at 30 yds was as good as it got, and perfectly adequate for squirrels and woodies. Then I got a HW100 PCP and JSB Exact pellets and found that the group was down to 5p size at the same distance. Didn't make the squirrels and pigeons any more dead though. :good:

I don't disagree the PCP is the better FAC gun at higher levels i run a Rapid for higher power levels but still way below the rimfires, but don't discount the likes of the HW80 etc for the power i suggest. No charging gear, no limit to shots taken and best of all can be had second hand in great condition for around £150

You may find this little video interesting mate,it helped me no end when i was struggling .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzRYmbUldg8

That is cracking :oops:

I changed my seated position as per the video and things just got better .... now put 9 in 1 inch at 25 yds from the sitting position.

My kneeling shooting is a bit rough though :blink: More work needed..... :yes:

Given what has been said above I should not shoot of sticks as a practice for my DSC1 with my springer. I'll have to wait for my FAC to come through first, then shoot off the sticks.

That is cracking ???

I changed my seated position as per the video and things just got better .... now put 9 in 1 inch at 25 yds from the sitting position.

My kneeling shooting is a bit rough though :good: More work needed..... ???

Given what has been said above I should not shoot of sticks as a practice for my DSC1 with my springer. I'll have to wait for my FAC to come through first, then shoot off the sticks.

Actually i shoot mt HW80 lazerglide off sticks very well. The sticks are modified with extra foam and i allow it to free recoil, with the centrefires i place the sling swivel just forward of the sticks and use a tight hold. The pricipal is basically similar enough for practice though, just recognise the difference between the two thats all