Anyone used a pecker

sitsinhedges

I was thinking about getting one of those battery operated full bodied flocked decoys that has a tilting/pecking motion to add a bit of movement to my pattern.

Just wondered if anyone else had used one and were they very effective, also are they robust enough.

They seem to run at about £40 so I don't want to buy one to just find it disappoints.

I think the best decoys are dead birds :good:

Therefore I think these would work better :oops:http://www.ukshootwarehouse.com/shop/PIGEO...+and+Stand.html

Maybe but dead birds can also be a pain in the **** and not always available, not to mention smelly and heavy and a drama to move if you need to go to another part of the field.

I managed to end up with a bag full of maggots from some wings I had been saving :/

Edited by sitsinhedges

The disadvantages with pecking pigeon decoys IMO, apart from the price, is that you can only really use them on drillings, or other open ground situations and is the movement they make visible to pigeons from a distance, any more than a shell decoy on a spring stick ?

I am thinking they would give confidence once the pigeons notice the pattern, to be used along with floaters :good:

The disadvantages with pecking pigeon decoys IMO, apart from the price, is that you can only really use them on drillings, or other open ground situations and is the movement they make visible to pigeons from a distance, any more than a shell decoy on a spring stick ?

I totally agree with Cranfield. The movement of any decoys with spring sticks and the like is probably much better than a pecker would produce. And you won't need a battery for them.

Edited by motty

Made my own peckers from old model car and aircraft servos for 5 shell decoys.

They worked well enough spread about in a pattern especialy in short growing winter rape as the birds bobbed up above the short crop, the neck bars from a distance showed good respectable movement. I also use spring sticks but on the days when the wind is void or light I do not always find spring sticks effective, like most of the decoy equipment we use they all work on the right day. If the gizmos are in the bag they may just make the difference on the day!

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Magic pecker from fleabay £30 delivered(bit pricey) and tried it out yesterday and it works realy well, very realistic, bright wing bars. My only concern is transporting itabout as the sticks are very flimsy and i think it could easily get damaged. I went out at 3pm over cut beans on a 3 acre field and watched amazed as it brought the pigeons off their flight lines from the neighbouring field in to my pattern.