pigeon price.

the hitman

Hi david, i am glad BASC were the first to promote game, I'm just going on what I see today, I have seen gametoeat leaflets in my local supermarket (sainsburys) which I was impressed with. Applause for writing in the ST, but preaching to (what I would like to think as) converts.

The giveawayabrace is a good idea, don't get me wrong, just in comparison it didn't seem to pack the same punch as the gametoeat campaign, perhaps you will tell me some figures to correct me, but from talking to keepers on shoots I have attended this has not changed what they have always been doing, they are not making an extra effort to go out and find people to give game away to, of course if people come and ask them they happy to give them a brace- sometimes even plucked to get them started. To me it seems that the problem is getting people to the keeper/gamedealer/butcher/supermarket and thinking- get some game, and for me I think that this should be one of the responsibilities which should come down to the shooting organisations.

Everything helps, and great for the work which you are doing, it is just I think that some work is more effective than others, and in my opinion at the moment the work of the CA is superior to that of BASC in this and other departments, I therefore think (rightly or wrongly) that my money will do more for my sport there.

I don't personally think BASC has been infiltrated, I do however think that my views are more aligned to the other organisations, hence the change is a personal one, I have been a BASC member for 7 years, albeit at reduced child/student rates.

thanks,will

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not joining in to knock the BASC who i feel do a great job but surely having articles on "game to eat" in the shooting times is preaching to the converted. Editorial and recipies would convert more people if they were in the sunday magasines and supermarkets own publications.

Neil

Dear all,

From a marketing point of view, if you are trying to promote a product you will use as many avenues as possible.

We must think of game as a product, and not a by -product.

There would be no point in BASC copying what the CA were doing. Indeed, we worked with the CA to help get their project off the ground by promoting it to our own membership though mailings, leaflets etc. We have also been involved in many meetings with the GTE team since thier project launched.

Our own Games On project is there to compliment and not compete with the GTE project.

Some people will prefer game to be presented to them in a ready to cook state- and if this is what the market demands then that is what must be provided.

As I said we will target large markets, but supermarkets will not be the only way - far from it. You all know the price of a pheasant in the supermarkets compared to the price of say a chicken - most people who are not used to game will look at a £4-5 pheasant and compare this (in size) to the £3 chicken.

Turning to the membership of organisations- as I have said many times in the past- the great thing is the we have freedom of choice to join the organisation that we feel matches our needs.

Of course, I think that BASC is the top shooting organisation with many unique features and benefits that cannot be matched by the others....but that is not the point-----the real issue is why are so many shooters NOT the member of ANY organisation?

If you are one then I make no apology for saying SHAME ON YOU - why should those that cannot be bothered to pay their subs enjoy the benefit of what the organisations do for ALL shooters?

David

Just a thought David, but I would imagine the lack of membership is similar to politics. Many people feel that they couldnt effectiviely make a difference so why bother. Thats no different to politics, the turn out for the previous elections were appauling for the same reason.

Originally, when I first started in this sport I only joined BASC with a view to getting insurance in the field and for no other reason. Since taking part I have begun to learn of the issues that need to be dealt with and have started taking a greater interest.

Perhaps a more powerful advertising campaign would provide a greater interest. I for one had never heard of many of the organisations (including BASC) before getting envolved with others in the sport.

Perhaps as others mention now and again, a united effort from all the organisations should/could/would be better.

AMAZING how a post starting with the price of pigeons gets so turned around :blink:

David from BASC has a point...to a point and I for one think BASC don't do enough, hard enough, loudly enough for the members. That's another story.

However anyone shooting without some sort of membership of one or another of the countryside organisations needs, if nothing else, to consider the insurance aspect of what they are about. If they shoot without insurance then they want locking up!

The problem with threads being derailed, is that (in this case) two subjects don't get aired properly.

People with comments and opinions about Shooting Organisations, may not read a thread about pigeon prices.

We cannot extract individual posts and start another subject, or we would.

As the original subject has run its course we will lock this thread.

If anyone has any further points on either subject, please open another thread. :blink: